“Temperamental air con and a rude member of staff.”
Review of Sunrise Resort

Sunrise Resort
Ranked #47 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 26 May 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 10 nights and on average it was ok. Nice pool excellent position on beach front. The trouble I have had us that after we checked in signed to paper work an paid upfront they came to our room and said the price was actually another £60. I don't think this is acceptable. I am yet to check out but do not intend on paying this. We had 3 nights in 2 different rooms with broken air conditioning units. We are now on our 3rd room and all has been well. I also complained last night as I bought an hours worth of wifi that didn't work for my room. The member of staff was rude an huffed and puffed asking why I had not complained at 3am!!! After I bought it. Eventually he stuffed the money back in my hand. No apology for inconvenience. I felt like I had done something wrong! Not customer friendly at all.
So on average I would say if its just about the location go for the hotel if you def want cool nights and excellent service then no.

2  Thank luckylady77
There are newer reviews for Sunrise Resort

Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

I could not believe my ears or eyes.. Staff was incredibly rude, suggested I was lying when I went down to office to let them know our room had no towels, the room was filthy with mold, mildew, dirt, you name it. Our sheets had stains, gross stains. When we woke up in the AM there was a man sleeping on a random mattress literally right outside our door. Please check out the photo of what our shower head looked like.. Nothing felt secure, locks where a joke, I felt like my five year old sister could break into them with raw spaghetti. I feel like the only reason this place is surviving is because it's beachfront location but i feel your better off sleeping on the beach.

1  Thank Gfreesie
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 4 nights, after having previously stayed at the adjacent Tommy Resort. My experience at this hotel was awful. The rooms were not cleaned well- stains on the bed sheets from previous guests, didn't replace water bottles, coffee and other "complementary products." Secondly, our room had a number of cockroaches and other insects in it.
The hotel staff was unfriendly and barely spoke or understood basic English. Our worst experience during our stay was during check out. We were charged for the complementary glass bottles and the staff accused us of losing the bottles although they had never left the room. I highly recommend not staying at this hotel.

2  Thank m2miki
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Awful awful place. Aside from the filth......everywhere (we used our own sheets and towel). We were literally attacked and robbed for everything we had by hotels MANGER and staff. At check out they demanded more than originally stated 1000 per night became 3000! When we argued about this sudden change in price the manager took a glass water bottle and tried to hit my boyfriend with it. Soon other staff came and my boyfriend told me to run but the manager grabbed my wrist and began to try and drag me to his office. My boyfriend and I had to fight him off and once surrounded by 8 members of staff we were forced to hand over all the cash I had on me....... They were vicious they were rude and at one point the manager actually growled at us ..... Yes teeth bared growl. I am appalled this man is not in prison. Please do not go here unless ur ready to be ripped off and possibly injured.

Tried to call police. They are no help.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Kle17
Reviewed 5 April 2013

The only reason we ended up @ this hotel is we got the last ferry, we thought for sure there would be touts on the ferry to sell us accom so let's see what they have to offer but none could be found nor were there any @ the pier, guess there is a 1st time for everything even in Thailand......any way we go taxi into Haan Rin can across this place it was 10pm & we wanted a bed....we chose the cheapest room they had which was on the Main Street....while the room was clean bed comfortable the noise was a little too much for us older travellers......I must say the rooms around the pool area & on the beach did look very nice but think you would still have a noise problem.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PJ28
Reviewed 28 January 2013

2 stars based on location & large, buffet breakfast.
3 stars deducted for unfriendly service, filthy pool, noise & WAY over-inflated prices during full moon.

Yes, this place is in the CENTRE of the Full Moon Party action. While dancing the night away, it was nice to be able to zip back to our hotel room to use our toilet. With that said-- they do not allow anyone who has been Body Painted into rooms (they will fine you 1000 baht if they catch you!) so that benefit is mute if you have partaken in any painting.

There is a pool... but it's very dirty and always over run with large groups of rowdy party-goers who have zero consideration for others at the pool. Also, they have a grand total of 6 pool-side recliners and at least 3 of those are broken & dirty. The 'swim up bar' is run by a couple of very unfriendly employees, and the prices are 25% higher than any other restaurant/bar on the main street. The price you pay for 'convenience', I suppose?

There are signs all over the 'resort' ("resort"-- what a joke!) about how they will fine you for this, and for that, and blahblahblah. Heed these warnings-- they really WILL. Contest the charges all you like, the staff will not budge. They are BRUTAL & relentless with the fines. Keep your towels, bedding & room absolutely free of any stains.

Then there is the noise. I almost hate to complain about it because OBVIOUSLY during Full Moon there is going to be noise. But I am not even talking about the Beach Music. I'm talking about the people running in the halls every single night screaming and laughing, the neighbours who blast music and video games (video games!?!) at 4am with no correction from Staff. It seems that you can make as much noise as you like here and be as much of an jerk as you desire, as long as you don't leave any spots on the towels.

The icing on the cake is that we have yet to encounter a single friendly employee. There is one Front Desk lady who has very good English (which is, I must admit, quite helpful) but nobody here is going to greet you with a smile. All this makes the $80+ a night, with a minimum of a 5 night stay, that they charge during Full Moon a very bitter pill to swallow.

If you are going to screw me over, you could at least do it with a smile on your face.

All in all, Sunrise 'Resort' has been the worse accommodation experience that we have had during our 5-week long Thailand experience. I would NOT recommend it. Surely there are other, better run facilities, just as centrally located, to stay at while you Full-Moon-Your-Face-Off.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Tamara B
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I will start with my one and only positive (sort of): the New Years Gala. Although it rained most of the night, they put on a decent event. The staff and performers of this event were hard working and pleasant, and did not complain when they had to keep re-setting up after each rainfall. The food looked good and there was plenty of it! I do wish that it was not compulsory, because, we did not get to sit down with our food before the event-ending torrential downpour began and everyone had to bolt. In other words, we paid $100 for no food, 15 minutes of performace. Drinks not included in price, either.

Now on to everything else:

Do not book at this place, no matter how desparate you are for lodging during the festivities. That was our mistake. We booked quickly due to the disappearing rooms around Haad Rin over the Christmas and New Years celebrations, and what a mistake. I would have given anything to go back in time, not panic, and book even further from the party. It would have been much more worth it to deal with getting to the party from across the island, or even from Koh Samui, than to stay at this place!

Its looks good on paper: central location, pool bar, restaurant, etc....

We knew that we were not getting a Four Seasons type place, and we were fully aware that we would get some noise, etc, but nothing could prepare us for how terrible this place is. It was so bad, that we could not wait to leave the island entirely, despite the fun festivites.

First: the noise is not like any other "party" place I have been to. I have experienced loud music in Miami, Cancun, Cabo, Europe, you name it. In other words: I can deal with loud music. But this place plays mind-numbing Drum n Bass and Dubstep at ear-piercing levels ~22-24 hours a day. Ear plugs are of no use. YUCK! The walls are paper-thin and we did not get a wink of sleep. Add to that, the strobe lighting flashing outside of our balcony door, with sheer white curtains, and you have a recipe for 6 days of crack-head like insomnia. Even the biggest partiers need SOME peace and quiet to recover, and to manage a vacation that is not miserable.

Second: Ok, I saw with my own eyes that the staff had to deal with complete dirtbag intoxicated tourists, but does this mean you have to be rude to the one's who are being pleasant?? I felt bad for the workers, but my sympathy quickly ended when they projected their attitudes back onto us. We were nothing but polite and did not get the same respect.

Third: What is the point of having a pool bar if the bartender is either non-existent or refusing to serve anybody? We went to the pool the man was either missing, or at the bar and not serving. When he did come around, he explained that the "cooler was locked and couldnt serve anybody." This occured throughout our stay. Only once did we get to purchase a drink.

Fourth and most important: Dirty and disgusting does not even begin to describe our rooms (and hallways!) Our room had several spider webs with MANY bugs trapped in them (A sign of how long these webs have been neglected). Our bathroom ceiling had a massive amount of mold, which was very dangerous. Our first step into our room met us with sand all over the floor, dirty showers, and a deplorable toilet that hadn's seen a wash in months, maybe years. I find it interesting that they can charge people for dirty towels, but can I get a discount for dirty floors, sandy sheets, dusty bottles in the fridge, moldy ceilings, broken door, etc?? These facilities could make anybody sick and ruin a perfectly good vacation.

Moral of the story: I understand that places book up in Haad Rin, and everybody wants to be right in the center of the action. But this hotel was so bad, that, despite the fun at the festivities, we could not WAIT to end our vacation and get away from this place. I might add that, because of the minimum night stay requirement, that, dealing with this place for 6 days just to experience a one-night party was a huge mistake. We wasted 6 days in a place we loathed instead of enjoying the rest of beautiful Thailand. It was absolutely NOT, in any way, shape, or form, worth being in the center of the action to stay at this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple