“Fantastic Hat Salad beach with nice rooms-owner had a bad and nasty attitude!”

Green Papaya Resort
Ranked #29 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
london
“Fantastic Hat Salad beach with nice rooms-owner had a bad and nasty attitude!”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

My partner and I stayed at the green papaya as part of our travels around Thailand. We researched which beaches we wanted to visit on Koh Phangan and Had Salad was one of them. We booked this resort online where we were told we would pay for 2 nights and get one night free in a superior double room.After a bumpy ride from the port to the resort, we were met by a miserable looking lady who claimed to be the owner.When we confirmed the booking we were told that our room would be by the pool and 50 meters from the beach. The room we got was not exactly as described and when the door opened the stench of mold and damp hit me straight away.In fact the smell was so bad that after one night I asked to be moved to a much nicer deluxe pool room. I told the owner the smell was so bad in there to the point that I could not breath properly. She agreed with me but with no apology or offer of another room. If she knew the room was so bad then why put someone in there?I guess the saving grace was that we had the 2 nights for 3 deal and the deluxe pool room was so much better.I had to pay for the difference in price which was fine, but a "sorry" would have been nice.

The pool was amazing as was the beach itself,in fact I think one of the best beaches on Koh Phangan.
The staff that worked there(not the owner) made the resort a lovely place to stay as they went out of their way to make you comfortable. I hurt my leg snorkling and one of the guys there gave me some medicated rub to make my knee better. He was so sweet.

The breakfast was good and there was a great selection of pastries, toast, pancakes and Thai food. The coconut cakes were to die for!!!

The owner did let down the resort as she had "I cant be bothered to help you " attitude and was only there to squeeze as much money out of you as possible. We asked her where we could hire a car and she looked un-interested and not bothered to help at all(not the usual attitude of Thai people ) and she ended up sending us on a wild goose chase to a tiny village which had no car hire at all.I cannot believe as someone who is in the travel industry and runs a business you would not know where your local car hire place would be.We ended up back at the port and hired a jeep after wasting money and time on this womans recommendation.When we told her she just shrugged and once again no apology!

Over all the resort is beautiful with an amazing beach and pool. The staff here are wonderful and the breakfast was good. I did find the lunch time and evening food was not as good, and the Thai street food is way better than food along the beach resturants in general.

Beware of the owner as she is very miserable and rude . When we checked out she tried to charge us for the free water she said we were allowed to have as part of our room. When I said that to her she ripped the bill up in an angry manner and said "never mind" hence why you have to watch what you are being charged for!

I know I have mentioned her attitude throughout this review but its because she spoilt this wonderful resort with her bad attitude, and I would definatley not stay here again because of that. There are far better and cheaper places where nice Thai people welcome you and help you out with a huge smile on their faces!I have rated this poor because of her!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms around the actual the pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank disney72
Elodie280472, Owner at Green Papaya Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2012
Dear Sir,
Firstly I would like to apologize for the lack of care which you have experienced. I am the owner of the resort, but I must inform you that you haven't met the owner as I was not onsite at the time of your stay, though my partner (a Thai man) was managing the resort at this period, and unfortunately the issue had not been raised to him, which I feel very sorry as he would have surely worked hard to restore this poor situation.
Feel free to contact me directly if you wish.
Elodie Natakuatong
Owner

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed for 6 nights here and absolutely loved it. Beautiful clean rooms, great pool, very pleasant staff and amazing gardens. Ong the barman makes the best ice juices we had in Thailand particularly the green papaya, and tamarind and ginger ! The manager (bald guy !!) was also very informative and helpful and hilarious too !
All in all, a wonderful hotel that we'll miss very much !

• Stayed June 2012
London
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We have just returned from Thailand where we staying at the Green Papaya for 7 nights. We had a wonderful time, all of the staff were very accommodating. The setting is right on the beach, we stayed in a sea view bungalow. Hat Salad is a lovely little bay with very little to do, ideal for us. We stayed with our 4 month year old baby and 4 year - it is possible in the evenings to take a pushchair along the beach so you can dine in other restaurants, we also had a baby sitter one night who was lovely. The only improvements I would suggest would be mosquito nets, because I did get bitten and there were no nets over the beds, luckily I had a baby mosquito net with me which I used to fit over the pram. It would also be great if they had sun loungers on the beach, or covered day beds. The beach is ideal for young children as the water is so shallow but there is little to no shade which meant we spent all day around the pool. The pool was great and the kids pool is an ideal depth. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Sea and pool views are the best.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stayed here in April 2012 for 2 nights! Amazing hotel with spacious rooms! Although the bath/shower were outdoors it was still pleasent!! During our stay I celebrated my bday and my boyfriend had arranged a number of surprises for me and the hotel was extremely helpful and they did so much to help him! Out of all the hotels we stayed at during our trip to Thailand, I would not have spent my bday in any other hotel! This one exceeded our expectations by far!
The area itself is quiet and peaceful which is nice but if you are planning on going to the full moon party it is far from Haad Rin (say 45 mins by road) but its OK we didnt mind the journey!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KajNin
London
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My husband and I stayed her for 13 nights end of March/ April this year. We had an ocean view cottage which we absolutely loved. The cottage was large, mini bar well stocked and a large bathroom dressing area. Their was a jacuzzi bath that was really deep- but be prepared if you want one before midnight you better start running it by 7pm!! Everyday the lovely cleaners came and cleaned the room beautifully. The balcony was massive and the whole thing surrounded by beuatuful flowers as the resort is set in a tropical garden.
The resort was really chilled when we arrived it was very quiet. The pool is the largest and nicest on Had Salad and you can relax by the pool all day whilst Ong keeps your drinks topped up (thanks Ong..)
But the best thing about the resort was the lovely golden labrador Peanut, or as we liked to call her Weanut the Walruss. She was a legend.
Only tiny gripe was in the last few days there were allot of young children, some of whom were left to scream and shout at the tops of their voices in the pool area all day. Not the managements fault though but more the parents lack of consideration for other guests who had paid good money for a relaxing and peaceful holiday!!
Had Salad is a lovely beach although the tide can get quite low so you have to go far out to be able to swim, but the sand is beuatiful white and there is some okay snorklling to be had. In the evening it is mainly restaurants but a couple of good bars stay open late - we had some good nights at My Way. There are some good bars at Had Yao which is the next beach down- you can walk there in about 15mins or hire a motorbike for 200 baht a day.
If you get the chance check out a full moon party- take some sunglasses though if like us you are still on the beach dancing at 8am the following morning!!
All in all we loved our time here and would go back at the drop of a hat and to the Green Papaya if only to be reunited with the Weanut.
Thanks to all the management Pee wee, Ong, Boh and all the others. Hopefully see you again next year.

Room Tip: Ocean view and deluxe cottages are better
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Odyssey99
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Green Papaya is a haven of peace on Haad Salad beach. Amazingly friendly and warm staff, delicious organic breakfast, quiet swimming pool area, great inHouse masseuse, and outstanding management who goes the extra length to make you feel at home.
Green Papaya stands out by far as the highest quality resort on Haad Salad. Its the place to go if you want a carefree, relaxing time in Kah Pang Ngan.
Green Papaya also steps away from Yoga Retreat, where anyone can take walk in classes on a daily basis. A real plus!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Claraad
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I booked this hotel at the last minute over new year knowing nothing about about it except its name. I was very relieved to find the place a hidden gem away from the hustle ans bustle. Beautiful location, fantastic surprises like the outdoor shower- that was fun- and a great pool to read a book at. I had family staying in 4 other resorts along salad beach and green papaya was the envy of the lot. Overall, what a find.

• Stayed January 2012