“Fantastic”

Salad Hut Bungalows
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Wow! Just returned from 3 weeks in Thailand and this was the best accommodation we stayed in.
The location is fantastic right on the beach front on Haad Salad beach. The beach isn't the best for swimming but you can have a float or swim further out if your prepared to wade out. This however is made up for by the fact that the beach is kept clean, people out cleaning every morning, and is very quiet and picturesque.

There are quite a few other small bars and hotels but nothing noisy or big so the perfect spot to relax for couples and families.

We stayed in two different rooms first the family sea view room. This had two large doubles a bathroom and a lovely veranda with a large daybed hammock, table and two chairs. There are 4 of us 2 adults and 2 teenagers and the space was just about big enough.
Our second room was the beach front family. ( Worth the extra money) There are two of these joined together. this had a very large verandah, with sunbeds at the front a hammock and table and chairs for 4. Inside is a huge double bedroom, with huge bed a small twin and a lovely big shower room. Both bedrooms have a tv and in the main bedroom there is a lot of storage.

The service at Salad Hut is fantastic. The same staff seem to work all day from about 8am till the end of service but still always have a smile on their faces. The rooms are kept spotlessly clean and were cleaned while we were at breakfast so no disturbance was made to your day.
The food is fantastic, in fact it was that good that we ate there all the time we were there. Breakfast is included in the room price and was very good with lots of choice i.e pancakes, muesli with fruit and yoghurt or full english, each one coming with toast juice and coffee.
In the evening the restaurant gets full so book a table. The food was great and he choice was huge. The whole fried fish, which you can have in various ways such as with red curry sauce, was very good. Just be aware spicy means spicy. Prices are good, not the cheapest on the beach but good value.
Another thing i was impressed with was that the minibar in the rooms was a reasonable price, we have never used a minibar in the past as the charges are silly but not here.

So in all a fab place for couples or families, definitely not a party place, thank goodness.

Room Tip: Book well in advance if you want to stay here. Family beach front worth the extra money.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Alf66_12

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Utrecht, Netherlands
Reviewed 4 August 2013

The Salad Hut has very friendly staff, always ready and willing to help. Bungalows located right next to the beach. Good food for breakfast, lunch and diner. This was the best accommodation we stayed in during our trip in thailand to phuket, phi phi en phangan. Recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Without a doubt the best place I stayed in while in Thailand. When we arrived, we found our room to be warm and the air conditioning wasn't helping a lot. We reported to the staff who phoned an engineer immediately. As it turns out, the air conditioning was broke however they couldn't have fixed the issue any quicker! The staff also helped us arrange our transport to the full moon party. They were the most friendly and helpful staff you could ask for. As I hurt my foot at the full moon party, they were concerned when I did not show up to breakfast the following day. The staff showed a genuine interest in their guests. Very smiley, helpful and accommodating staff. The food was good value and tasty too. You need to try their banana pancakes - delicious! The bungalows themselves were fairly basic (but had absolutely everything you could have needed) and the view was beautiful. It was great having our own little veranda with beds and a hammock. It was all very relaxing. If I was going back to Thailand, Salad Hut would be the first place I would visit. Thanks for a great time!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed here for a week in June, in bungalow 10, which is next to the beach and in my opinion the most private of the bungalows. The room was nice and spacious, bathroom very basic. The beach is lovely, but during June (at least when we visited) it is too shallow for any good swimming. There is a small pool at the hotel, which is mostly occupied by kids, but a great place to cool down in the afternoons. Now to the best parts; the staff and the food. The staff at the hotel were really welcoming. They were super attentive and liked to chat. During our travel through Thailand, this must be the place where the staff felt genuinely interested and eager to make it a great stay for us. And then the food. We tried different restaurants along the beach, but nothing could compare to Salad Hut when it came to taste, amount of food and price. Real authentic thai food, some of the best we have tasted. I read some complaints about the food being pricy, so we were a bit worried about the prices, but a dish cost between 120-160 baht, which was a pleasant surprise. There is free wi-fi at the hotel, but it was a bit unstable in our room, which is the farthest from the reception area. I would definitely stay here again, due to the fantastic location, and since we still compare thai meals to the ones we had at Salad Hut!

Room Tip: Bungalow 10 is a good choice if you want to stay next to the beach.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Golden, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Room 10, "deluxe beach front", a bit more expensive but well worth it. Lovely room. Right at beach, windows to the ocean: wonderful yet private. Other rooms are beside the pool, screened from the ocean by vegetation. They are fine if you are out a lot; but we wanted to sit at "home" and relax, so we were glad to have the beachfront room with the view from the balcony.
I wish that an electric kettle had been provided in the room.

Food in the restaurant was excellent. Pool was nice, but not a great attraction for adults (lots of children present).

The beach area seemed excellent for families with children. The beach was small, maybe 500m long, blocked at each end by rocks and forest, so children could roam a bit but not too far.

One caveat: a jack-hammer as at work intermittently for 2 out of the 4 days of our stay (July 8-12). The manager just shrugged when I mentioned this city-like intrusion. I would have liked to have been told that this work was underway near the Salad Hut. After all, I can hear jackhammers all the time in my home city (in China, where construction is everywhere). The management had my email address. I think they should have let me know of the possibility of construction noise, and its extent, before I showed up for my reservation. It would be a nice gesture for the management to offer even a trivial free drink one evening by way of small apology. (I realize that the construction was on another site, not at Salad Hut; nonetheless, it was not a surprise to the management).

Room Tip: Room 10, totally beach-front
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Town
Reviewed 5 July 2013

On arrival. The entrance was really nothing what we expected.... So it's just proof not to judge a book by its cover.
We travelled with all three our kids - so perfect for this type of vacation. We stayed a week.
Beds comfortable. Super friendly staff. Really helpfully and with out a doubt the best Thai food we have experienced. They make really good western food too. The speed at which the food is prepared is also unbelievable.
The beach is nice, but the swimming is a challenge due to the coral. But there are places where it is pleasant, especially when the tide is higher.

All in all- a great stay for a lId back break and would return. If you are looking for fancy amenities then this would not be for you.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen874
Ferntree Gully, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I am at this moment, writing my review on my beautiful verandah, I have bungalow 10, and it's perfect!
I have the best views, and so many places to relax.
The restaurant serves delicious, well priced food. I have tried other places to eat , but Salad Hut is my favourite.
I am traveling solo, and have been welcomed by my fellow guests and staff alike.
The gardens are lush and give cooling shade, the sea breezes are gentle.
I would love to come here again, it is perfect for me.
Well done Salad Hut!

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are good, there are only 12, but of course I love mine best !
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo