“holiday jan 2014”

Phangan Great Bay Resort
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We have just returned from Thailand, and spent 17 days at this resort.
We found the staff were very friendly.We were nice to them, and they were nice to us.
Rented a scooter for the 17 days. The resort is a couple of kilometres out of Thongsala, so you should rent a bike.Make sure that you mark any damage down on the rental form. There is no insurance, and you will be held responsible for any damage. The road conditions and driving skills are terrible, and most visitors were young people, with lots of drinking and driving, with resulting accidents. I returned my scooter with no penalty.
The bungalows were comfortable, and equipped for a max of 3 people.
It is not a luxury resort. Most visitors were younger backpackers, there for a couple of days.
The resort should have more loungers and shades available.
The food was good, especially the barbeque, and the price was reasonable.
The cost wasn't too bad, 1200 baht, but the rate for the peak time was excessive.
We had a great time.
Doug & Annie [MAMMA & PAPA]

Room Tip: choose a bungalow
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Don't stay here. Mamasan is rude and grotesque. Restaurant overpriced. Food is crap. Very noisy rooms. Don't rent a motorbike...you will be made to pay for imaginary damage. Don't stay here! Owners and staff not only failed "Customer Service 101", but also "How to Just be a Kind of Nice Person"

Room Tip: Choose a room on the other side of the island, in another resort.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

Pros- ok beach, decent sized bungalow, fair price (1200b), amenities available.
Cons- grumpy owner lady, up charge for extras, kind of isolated off road, English speaking travel agent booked us ferry to koh Tao ... Took our money - charged us 150B for ride to ferry each ... When taxi is 100. She claimed all ferries were full until that night... don't know if she wanted us to stay longer and spend more money?? I specifically asked about the company we came on and she tried to sway me away from them a few times. Then she said it was full. I searched online and found it had plenty of seats. Basically she lied to us to book with a different company. If you stay there I would watch your back when purchasing services such as renting scooter ... Be sure to check every scratch and mark or take pics as they will nail you.

Otherwise it was great

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Me and my friend stayed there on december. Unfortunately late planning lead us to stay there due to full booking of other good hotels. It is very expensive hotel offering no service at all. They would change towels only if we ask them. The room was poor with 2 uncomfortable beds. No fridge. Not to mention that we booked the hotel price online and after they contact us to add a gala charging us extra costs. Although it is an overal bad experience the only good thing was the food at the beach bar and sometimes the music.

Room Tip: The bangalows are the worse maybe the hotel rooms are better who knows...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

Do not hire scooters from them. they will make you pay for one scratch that's been there and will threaten you with your passport. Most rudest people to deal with. they will rip you off with overpriced accommodation and no hot water. the 5 days we spent there no one even bothered to clean our room. Disappointment written ALL over.

1  Thank shaan2685
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

My friends and I got talked into staying here by a tout whilst getting off the ferry. We were told that the room would comfortably fit 5-6 people. We got there and our room only had 1 double and one single bed, not exactly room for us all! We then later discovered we were not nearly as close to, well, anything as we'd been told! Within about 30 minutes of being there a member of staff came round to our room, to try sell us drugs. Things got worse when waiting for food alone in the restaurant (which had notoriously bad service) I dropped so money out my purse. Another guest noticed and passed it to me, then the waiter came over shouting at me that it was his money and I'd stole it for him. After standing my ground and arguing with him for a while, he tried to grab my purse off me! I left without my food, mainly as I was scared as to what extra might be in it following this. After this happened I didn't feel like I could leave any of my valuables at the hotel, so decided I'd be safer taking them with me to the full moon party!
I would avoid this place like the plague!!!

1  Thank CoolCatS458
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights and the staff were not very friendly. Two staff were decent the one who picked us up and lent the scooter otherwise it was not worth it. Food wasn't the greatest either! Would recommend staying elsewhere and paying the same if not less!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple