“nicest place on baan tai beach, but could be improved”

Phangan Rainbow Bungalows
“nicest place on baan tai beach, but could be improved”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

certainly the best location and beach, and the facilities were very nicely maintained, but the small details were missing. you couldn't open the windows on the most expensive bungalow on the water ... so it was either cook or use the air conditioning. no fan was available even though asked ... seems that would be cheaper to run than the AC. service was always tainted with an attitude of resentment, though i cannot say it was bad, i always felt i was intruding. perhaps martin needs a vacation to improve his mood. food quality and price was very good. we are dog lovers so this wasn't actually an issue. an alert if you aren't, you may want to avoid this place, as the dogs are VERY friendly (come up to visit regularly on your porch or at the beach) and they do a fair amount of barking.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Indonesian first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

Four of is stayed at rainbows for 7 nights over New Years! It was amazing. The owner Martin is cool, has good banta and really friendly. His wife is the best cook in the world I have never experienced food like it. Sueperb!!! Location is great it's peaceful, however hadrin is a stones throw away... They have really nice dogs who greet you every night. Wally the rockviller is a proper softy loved sharing our toasties from the 7 eleven. You would be stupid not to stay here! We will be back. :)

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Craigus101
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I've been coming to Rainbow bungalows off and on since 1994. in that time the place has continued to evolve to what it is today. The location is ideal away from the scene at Had Rin but close enough if you need to go in there for a night out or full moon party.

Rainbow is total paradise in my opinion. Simple hospitality done well with an Aussie/Thai know how meaning you get the best Thailand has to offer with the Western knowhow of things you tend to miss after being away from home for a while. Many of my most precious memories are from this place. From watching the sun set over the water or late nights meeting new people who are also travelling around this part of the world,

Rainbow provides a true Thailand beach experience and I have been there and returned to find people staying that I had met on prior visits which gives a good indication to the loyalty of the clientele. I usually hire a motor bike whilst there to give you access to explore the rest of the island.

I'm somewhat perplexed by other reviews that complain that their bungalow wasn't serviced during their stay. You get what you pay for people and what you get here is truly awesome. Its a bungalow business, not Rainbow Resort & Spa for god's sake. Get real!

Over the years, I have recommended many friends to stay here who have all returned thanking me for pointing them in the direction of Marty and Noi. Cheers to you both and thanks for yet another wonderful stay and I cannot wait until I can come back with my wife and kids next time.

Potential Travellers - give it go - you wont be disappointed. I say this with great confidence !

Room Tip: Hire a motor bike but be careful on the roads !
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank CharlieMac70
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

I can highly recommend Rainbow as the place to stay on Koh Phangan. The Beach Bungalow I stayed in was spacious and clean and well maintained. Even my own hammock on the verandah with views over to Koh Samui. Martin and Noy the owners are friendly and informative and provide a fantastic service. The location is a perfect, a short trip to town however I found myself reluctant to leave the white sands of the beach where Rainbow is situated. All in all my 4 days there were relaxing and chilled, met some great people staying there in the common area which is very social. The food is fantastic too, another reason not to leave !
Paul from Sydney

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Paul H
Hellas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed at bungalow that was near to the beach, it was very nice place to stay and watch the view. I stongly recommed for young or old couples. The staff were very friendly. The only complain that I have is that never asking if I need the room to be cleaned!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank akapetanios
Phangan_Rainbow, Owner at Phangan Rainbow Bungalows, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thanks Angelos for your review. It is of the utmost importance that our customers understand how our business functions. Your issue that we did not service your room, comes down to a really simple concept of economics. Your room, which we class as mid-range cost you and your friend $13 per night each. It was a beach front room with a queen size bed and a single bed, fan and a very efficient hot water system. The room is spotless when you arrive, and the view and surroundings are impeccable. The room itself is vastly better than most rooms you will find ANYWHERE for the price. You stayed for a sum total of 4 nights. After the 2nd night you asked me if we could clean the room for you. I said we do not service those rooms after only 2 days, but are happy to change the towels for you, and supply you with clean sheets if you have soiled the original ones (after just 2 nights!). People must understand that this is what you get for $13 a night. We make no apologies for not sweeping the sand out of your room, and in fact would expect you to do it yourself. Bungalows/Hotels/Resorts offering the services you are taking about are charging 5 times the amount we charge.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I have been there for 5 nights. There are good and bad points.
The place is really quiet and peaceful, the room was big and the bathroom definitely the best I have found in thailand! The staff is nice, polite, and they speak english ;)
The price, not really cheap, does not included the service room (even if u book 5 nights!), we even had to ask the toilet paper..
The restaurant, not really cheap, has limited hours and at 9 pm everything is closed and the room does not have the fridge (if u need some water, think about it before!). Be careful to the dogs, I have no problem with.. but the first night when we came back in the night they welcome us really briskly!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Phangan_Rainbow, Owner at Phangan Rainbow Bungalows, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Hi Freddy, thanks for your review. The points you raise are valid. The price you pay for the room dictates the level of service we provide. That's how we keep costs down. (You paid about $12 a night.). The restaurant is similarly priced with other small businesses nearby, but cheaper than many. (Our next door neighbour sells Pat Thai for 235 baht - which is over the top, ours is 95 baht, in the market you pay about 60 baht, but the street-stall serve is considerably smaller.) We stop serving food at 8 pm (not 9pm), as we are a family business, and need to wrap the days work up, We start the day before 7am. And yes my dogs are friendly, but brisk as you accurately put it.
These are good points for future customers to consider.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

This place is amazing i miss it so much already! Its the most relaxing, tranquil peaceful place I've ever stayed. Really felt like we were in thailand. The whole place is well kept and beautiful, the rooms are clean and big. The location is great, not too close to haad rin 15 mins in a taxi for a small price! So its not noisy all night etc.... All the staff members are friendly and noy's cooking skills are wonderful, she even wrote us a recipe down we asked for. Martin is also very helpful with information about the island etc! Me and my friend stayed there in september and went to a black moon party which was luckily just round the corner from the bungalows....if you like dogs which i do, then youll love the guard dogs they are sweet and actually do guard which makes you feel safe! The food is cheap and soo tasty! Basically i highly recommend this place and would defiantly stay here again if i came to koh phangan. The only one thing i would suggest is get an air con room if your from a cold country like me (England) but the fan was fine too.

Jodie and Hollie