“Paradise Found”

Phangan Rainbow Bungalows
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Paradise Found”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I fell in love with Phangan Rainbow on my 1st visit to Thailand in 2011. They were recommended by one of my suppliers and I was not disappointed. Noy, Martin and the Family (this includes Ouma, Oupa, Jack, nieces, the staff and the dogs!) are the most amazing and genuine people. The accommodation is comfy and the food is to die for (I miss the banana pancakes, green papaya salad and yummy curries Noy prepares). The atmosphere is laidback and chill. Returned for a visit in 2013 and I have already started saving for my next visit in 2015 and cannot wait!

Room Tip: There are various bungalow options available eg: fan vs aircon, beachfront vs garden, cold water vs...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Theresa303

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Indonesian first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Firstly WOW. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this wonderful place never fails to amaze me. Every time I come back I never want to leave. Not only are the bungalows reasonable, you get so much for your money and all of this right on the beach front. The food is out of this world and I find myself spending most of my time thinking about what I can eat next to ensure I try everything before having to come home. The main thing that keeps me coming back is Noy and Martin (the owners) who have become such good friends over the years that me and my husband class them as family. I'm going back again this Christmas because quite frankly I can't think of anywhere I'd rather be and anyone else I would rather spend New Year's Eve/day with.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Rich_Loz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Since my first visit to Phangan Rainbow I have returned to there whenever I come to Thailand mainly due to Martin & Noy's wonderful personal service that makes you feel like you're home. Fab food & a relaxing chilled out atmosphere. I love it there & look forward to returning again some day soon!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Carolyn B
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I were traveling with another couple. After 3 horrible taxi rides we finally arrived in 'paradise'. At first we were very happy arriving here since we had seen some terrible places on this island. As a routine check, the other couple and my fiancé checked out the bungalows (with seaview). It was clean and looked ok. We were happy to find something, so we said yes with a big smile. The other couple had their money ready to pay for 4 days. During the money crossover, the lady showed us her other face. Still with a friendly smile she said: "oh, one of your bungalows has cold water". My fiancé and I have a lot of traveling experience, and every time we showered in a place with cold water we got very sick (because of the warm differences between your inner and outer body temperature after showering). Moreover you pay extra for this bungalow because it has a bath, which is not very nice to use if you only have cold water. Since the lady asked the same price for the bungalow with cold water (which was quite high), we kindly asked the lady to lower her price with something like 50 baht (which is quite reasonable, we could have lowered with 150 baht). The friendly smile was immediately gone and we got this reaction: "Ha, you do not have to take this room, I will sell it anyway" and she walked away. This reaction was enough for us, and we decided to go somewhere else. We had to stay there for 10 minutes longer to arrange stuff with the other couple. During this time, the friendly hospitality was completely gone. I can not say a lot about the room, but I can say that the beach here is horrible. (We stayed at another resort in a bungalow not more than 50 meters further on the coastline, so we shared the same beach.) All the garbage from Koh Samui floats to this beach. The seawater there is green and not see true at all, you also have to walk for at least 50 meters to get in to 'deep' water (which contains a lot sharp rocks). In the morning there is no sea to be found, you have to walk at least 200 meter to find water. Please do not make the same mistake as us, stay on Samui, Tao, or somewhere else on the island!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Yazmin_Riemers
Phangan_Rainbow, Owner at Phangan Rainbow Bungalows, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
From the bottom of my heart I thank you for finding somewhere else to stay.
Yours sincerely, everyone at Phangan Rainbow... (and I mean EVERYONE).
Reviewed 23 August 2014

An absolutely stunning property, well maintained by a friendly staff. Noy and Martin, Noy in particular, were incredibly welcoming and friendly. The bungalows are spacious and clean, and exceptionally well priced. A wardrobe or places to hang clothes would have been welcome, but that's part of the trade off for the low cost! We'd totally recommend Phagnan Rainbow, especially if you're considering renting a scooter while your there (as we did.) It's near Haad Rin, but just before you reach the big scary hill leading into it, so you can take your scooter relatively safely all over the rest of the island (and Noy in particular can give you some great suggestions on where to go), then rely on a taxi when you need to get into the full moon madness! A great place, great people, don't hesitate, book it!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew M
bigbellboy
Reviewed 22 August 2014

In April I got married and invited my entire family to Thailand, we stayed here for a week and a half before going to samui to get hitched, myself and my entire family did not have one bad word to say about rainbow bungalows receiving ultimate customer service in a very relaxed atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2014
5 Thank bigbellboy
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Phangan Rainbow Bungalows is my favourite place to stay!! Marty, Noy, Jack and their family and crew are so incredibly kind! They really make you feel welcome and at home!
Rooms are great quality, super comfy and peaceful!
I highly recommend staying here when visiting Koh Phangan! ;)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends