“Really run down, staff didn't care”

Chaloklum Bay Resort
Ranked #83 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We came up here from Baan Tai because our resort was booked up due to full moon party. We wanted somewhere quiet to stay the last week of our trip and we definitely got that!
We stayed as a family of 4 in the superior bungalow and were charged 2500 baht per night as we were staying 7 days. Normally its 4300 baht. I'd be pretty annoyed at that price! Our bungalow was nice, 2 bedroom with a/c, TV, and a fridge. The TV didn't work. We had two out of 7 light bulbs working. The fridge was plugged into a plug with no power so we had to pull the fridge out and find another plug! We'd ask for help but the staff just doesn't really seem to care much about us so we didn't bother.
The pool was a bit slimy but OK...the kids usually love pools but didn't spend a lot of time in this pool b/c of all the debris and bugs in it.

The Wi-Fi is free but only works in the restaurant area. They told us at check in that it was available all over the resort which was huge for us as my husband is doing some work on this holiday.
The restaurant has OK food. We mostly go into town and eat there or drive to thong sala and spend the day down there.
There is no pool bar...the place shuts down at 9 and even if we were in the restaurant using Wi-Fi at 9 pm, it didn't matter....lights OUT!!
The scenery is nice and peaceful although if they put a bit of work into the grounds it'd be so nice. We mostly see the staff sitting in the restaurant on their phones or talking to each other when there's so much work that could be done to make the place nice. There's a really nice fountain by the pool on the beach that is full of green slime water...with a hose laying there beside it. I'm tempted to fill the fountain, at least spray it out!
We basically just slept at this resort and because we had a car, we left every day.

One more thing...our room was great but the neighbours had 6 dogs and they fought and barked all the time. One time it went on at 2 am...the dogs run in a pack on the beach and the first night we stayed, my daughter was confronted by the pack right in front of our bungalow. It was a bit scary as they ran towards her barking. A responsible resort owner would deal with this issue.
We paid for 7 nights but had to leave a day early b/c we had to go to the hospital in Samui. I asked if we could get a refund for the last night-the resort was empty...manager hummed and hawed and said she'd get back to us. The morning we were leaving she said she couldn't get a hold of the owner so the answer was no. We were annoyed again... They just seemed to want to rip us off every chance. If a meal was 80 baht and you hand them 100, they would just assume they could keep the change..I had to ask for my change back. Awkward.
I would never recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Its just an all around noisy resort b/c of the dogs and long tail boats.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 April 2013

Stayed here with my fiance for 3 nights, it wasn't out first choice but did accept credit cards which most places didn't seem to.

The manager who came to pick us up charged us 300 baht (after we had already paid a taxi 150 to get from Thong Sala pier to a hotel just around the corner) and whilst the cabin we had was right on the seafront, it was pretty expensive in comparison to other places that we stayed in Thailand and the room wasn't serviced on any day during our stay.

We also rented a moped to get around as there is literally nothing near by. This was 200 baht a day (pretty reasonable) but the manager told us we would have to go and fill it up at the nearest gas station (after I had already given him the money of course!) The back tyre was really bald and very dangerous to drive on the road and I actually complained when I handed back the key.

The only time the manager attempted to be helpful is when we were leaving and asked us if we needed a taxi back to Thong Sala pier which we had already arranged so as not to get ripped off again!

That said, the hotel was very peaceful and the restaurant staff were really nice and we did enjoy our stay on the island but would not stay here again, the value for money just wasn't there.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank k_dopson
Reviewed 1 February 2013

Owner don't care about customer. You will see more broken glass on the beach then seashells. Reports of Dengue fever in the resort, small pond infected by Denge fever moskitos. Staff don't smile at all. Bungallow way over price for what you have. For 3 000 bath/nite you can spent almost a week in Thailand at that price in better condition

Room Tip: Go to other hotel nearby for your own health.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dengue F
Reviewed 6 November 2012

backpacked around thailand for a month and this place was the only memorable part of my stay.....really quiet....beautiful villas and one crazy dude in charge who we loved......pool was faboulous but sunbeds were rubbish but had it most of the time to ourselves...beach was feet away and also really quiet and beautiful............... malibu beach nearby was lovely.....town was so small but some lovely restaurants on the sea edge ......could have stayed here forever.....
try the fried icecream....yum

Room Tip: the villas at the side of the resort or hut number 102
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

Just came back from a stay at CBR and to be honest, quite disappointed with what we got for our money. Having spent the last two months backpacking and staying at cheap guesthouses, we were looking for a chic ending of our travels here. At CBR we spent about 4 times the amount of money on a room we would normally do, but I didn't feel it was good value for money: the beach isn't pretty or even suitable for lying on, the pool doesn't look very clean, the poolside bars are abandoned, wifi and breakfast aren't included in the price, our pick up request from Thonsala pier was never replied to, a taxi back to Tonsala was 200 baht per person (in town you can get them form 100 baht per person), the towels were stained and our shower was just a drip, and not even warm on the last day. All these things wouldn't be so bad if we had paid $ 10 per night, but for 5 times that amount I expected much more. In short, this place didn't turn out the 'resort' it promised to be; don't go here if you're looking for a place that looks anything like the pictures they advertise with.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank RNaomi
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

Chaloklum Bay Resort

First the positives: the bungalows are really nice and spacious, located next to the beach. The beds are comfortable and there is air-con and fan. Fridge too if you want it. In the resort itself there is a nice swimming pool. Not too big but enough to do some lengths provided it is quiet.

It is located about 10mins walk away from the local village which is full of great restaurants and dive centers. There is also the Bottle beach alternative here too.

The negatives: the shower pressure in our bathroom was abysmal, the worst during my trip. The hot shower ceased to work on our last day.

The beach is quite lame with little sand and many fishing boats. View of the sea is not as nice as other beaches around Last note - although i remember free wi-fi being advertised, we were told that we had to pay extra for this which is crazy. After reading some reviews of this place seems we were cheated once again. (Bottle is better by far). I think my main complaint is the price of this resort. For what we paid (€35 per night) you expect a little bit more especially with the shower pressure. The rooms did not provide you with free shampoo and despite additional beach towels advertised, none were included.

They told us that we would get a free upgrade to superior bungalow but i did not believe this (surely this would have included a tv like i saw in the pictures). Their taxi service is also way overpriced (200 bht p.p to Thlong Sala - we got way cheaper in town).

Overall it was a comfortable stay but did not reach expectations in reflection to the prices. Staff was also not really friendly. You can easily find better location and at a better price.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank jason-ho-01
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We got handed a flyer for Chaluklom Bay Resort as we arrived in Koh Pha Ngan off the ferry. After a few days in the excellent Lime N Soda, we decided to try the north of the island and moved to CBR. This was a mistake.

The "resort" is a series of bungalows with a largish swimming pool in the centre connected by a wooden bridge/platform thing, and a whole heap of grass in between. I had rung up to book some bungalows as the flyer said they were 500 baht. When we arrived, we were provided keys to our rooms, were asked for the cash up front, and then told the rooms were around the corner. Alarm bells started ringing - these were rooms, not bungalows. Things went from bad to worse when we got into the rooms. They were pretty diabolical. The walls were covered in peeling plaster and damp, the bathroom was dirty and the metal fittings rusting (and there was exposed wiring), the bed had springs pushing up through the mattress and we had been provided a sheet that didn't even cover the bed, and the whole room was just plain grotty.

I queried the room, and showed the manager the flyer which clearly stated that they were offering bungalows for 500 and rooms for 350. We had paid 500 - where were the bungalows? She gave me a patronising smile and said the flyer was not valid. My mistake - I should have seen the rooms before handing over the cash. We were now tied into this "resort" run by a grasping, uncaring woman who couldn't care less about the guests there and instead spent her time putting on make-up or fiddling with her smartphone.

Which brings me on to another point - the wi-fi is not free here. They have a system in place which charges 60 baht for 30 MINUTES! An obscene price - again, not mentioned on the flyer. I queried with the manager and she claimed that even she has to purchase the wi-fi from the 3rd party company they use. I checked the network connections and - surprise! - along with the paid-for networks, there was one called CBR. I suspect this is reserved for people in the "luxury" bungalows, and the staff. If she is paying 120 baht an hour for the wi-fi then she is either getting paid far too much or she is lying out of her over-powdered face.

The swimming pool was OK but it had a salty tang to it. We soon found out why - there are packs of feral dogs wandering the beach, who swim in the sea and then come and drink from the pool...and occasionally take a dip in it. Lovely.

The food was edible but overpriced, and we only had breakfast there. As for the customer service overall, I asked for a blanket for us to lie on as the mattress was too uncomfortable. The manager was on the phone and waved me upstairs saying that there were staff there who could help. The only person upstairs in the restaurant was a waiter who told me he would get me something shortly, after taking my room number, as he was too busy serving food. Couldn't I speak to the manager? No, I'd just been sent up to see him BY the manager. OK, he'd sort it soon. I went downstairs and waited. 20 minutes later, no movement. I went back - everyone had food, but he was ambling around. He saw me and marched off, returning with a sheet. I told him I'd asked for a blanket. He stormed away again, muttering under his breath, this time returning with a large bath towel. I gave up, and left.

That afternoon, I saw another couple being shown around some rooms. They had the exact same flyer as we had, and were apparently using it to get cheap rooms. So, the manager had lied again to us.

Here's the thing - the resort COULD have been excellent. With some care to the surroundings e.g. getting rid of the dogs, opening the beach bar next to the pool (the flyer shows it full of glasses and drinks, but this is not the case), replacing the awful pool table, cleaning up the beach (broken glass was everywhere near the entrance to it from the resort) making some effort in the rooms to make them comfortable, and firing the horrendous manager who really didn't care about the comfort of the people paying her wages, CBR could have been a great place to stay. I can't comment on the bungalows, they may be fantastic. The rooms are not. They are also below the restaurant, and cockerels roam about outside, so don't expect a lie-in. I've put some photos up...judge the room for yourself. Two other couples with us had similar rooms, with the bonus of cockroaches in one of them. The bathroom had open concrete vents which looked out onto some sort of garage and it was perfectly possible for people to see into the bathroom from outside as the vents were at eye level...enjoy those showers, ladies.

As it is, I can only suggest staying far, far away from Chaloklum Bay Resort and spending your time elsewhere - the people here really couldn't care less for guests.

Room Tip: Don't get a room here - period. You WILL regret it.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple