Mai Pen Rai Bungalows
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Buri Rasa Koh Phangan(Ko Pha Ngan)
US$161
US$153
Agoda.com
Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan(Ko Pha Ngan)
US$179
US$109
US$48
US$44
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Palita Lodge(Ko Pha Ngan)
US$58
US$53
Agoda.com
Sunset Cove Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)
US$48
US$62
US$257
US$151
Hotels.com
All reviewson the rocksfamily bungalowmosquito netkoh phanganbeach bungalowlaid backparadise on earthno hot watersurat thanifull moon partyfriendliest staffthai foodspent nightsrelaxing staybeautiful beachbaht per personelectricity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed at Mai Pen Rai Bungalows (on the Rocks) in November 2012 for five days. I have a few things to say about the resort.

After reading some good reviews about this place, I choose to stay for five days expecting pure peace and relaxation. One thing that I didn't consider was the weather. It started raining from the day 1 - and didn't stop until the day I left (I kept stayed expecting the rain would stop eventually but didn't). Couldn't do anything. The picture perfect emerald sea that I imagined became murky muddy brown, the room became damp, the sheet smelly, my clothes (even those in the suitcase) became a wet sponge. Couldn't open the windows as the rain was pelting outside, so the room became even more unpleasant. At one point, the rain started to leak from the ceiling at which time, I understood the presence of an odd looking basket in my room (clearly not to be used as a rubbish bin). The water from the shower and sink became murky like rainwater...

Ill prepared at best, I didn't buy any food at Thongsala before heading into the resort and as going to the restaurant meant that I had to tread the rain ridden steep rock stairs (slippery as h*ll) before stepping onto the rain and seawater soaked beach and walk for 300 meters, I just stayed in the bungalow hungry. I eventually ventured out at lunch times, unbrella-ed and soarly unhappy, to the restuarant on the other side of the beach. They served good wholesome food... which was my only consolation at that time (prawn crackers, Thai curries, yum).

At night (being solo traveller), it became terrifying. As more rain came, the waves became angry and hit the rocks underneath the bungalow every 2 seconds with mighty force, sounded like a sonic boom. Couldn't sleep, terrified at imagining that the bungalow would give way to the wave any second (of course it wouldn't but terrifying nonetheless). The light in the room was dim, I couldn't read, so I counted the geckos staying with me on the ceiling or went onto the balcony and watched planes departing from Koh Samui, or counted the calamari fishing ships on the sea horizon, hoping they'd come and rescue me.

It could have turned out better, had the weather been good. The beach, when I saw it on the day I left, restored its emerald color, the room, for the first time in five days, wasn't damp and the view from the bungalow was perfect. The restaurant was good, and the staff was really kind and helpful. My suggestion? check the weather before you had out there, and bring some snacks just in case.

Room Tip: Bring food (snacks) and lantern. The lights for the whole resort go out at 12am after which you cannot see your hands in front of your face.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Raholme
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This was our second stay at Mai Pen Rai. Was just as nice as 2 years ago. We had, thanks to Fiona, the same bungalow "on the rocks" as last time. Beautiful view from our balcony of the beach and the sea. They have some new beachside bungalows,which look very nice, but nothing can beat the view from the "rock" bungalows. Food is still excellent and cheap. Bungalows are basic, but very spacious. We sleep with the shutters wide open to get natural airconditioning from the seabreeze at night. Had 2 big ghekkos in the bathroom, catching mosquitos. Really excellent value for money!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

After reading other reviews we knew more or less what to expect, We had a bungalow on the rocks for us and the three kids (4, 7, 11 years) with a stunning sea view, basic but nice, We brought torches for an easy return to our place after dinner in one of the 5 restaurants at the beach, all of them offering good food, we also liked the breakfast, the kids prefered Plea restaurant where they served croissants for breakfast... When there were to many boats coming from other ( I guess less nicer) beaches we escaped to the neighboring beach (5 minutes walk) in front of an abandomed resort, there was literally nobody but us and a few horses. We stayed 6 nights and had a calm, relaxing stay with lots of reading, playing, swimming, sunbathing, watching monitor lizards in the river and on the rocks and nice food. Would definetly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Ulrike_Muc
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

The bungalows are next to probably the most beatiful beach in Ko Phangan. They are not very well cleaned and the bathroom is far too dark. We had a king cobra under our bungalow. But still it is a great place to stay if you love an astounding environment.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Cool and quiet beach, 5 restaurants with nice food, no annoying party tourists, stunning lookouts, a huge house pig - I think one of the last real places to relax in Thailand - enjoy it even if the ride to get there is an adventure and the standards are simple...

• Stayed: July 2013