Mai Pen Rai Bungalows
US$71
US$69
US$380
Agoda.com
Milky Bay Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)(Great Value!)
US$37
US$30
Agoda.com
Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan(Ko Pha Ngan)
US$178
US$109
Longbay Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)
US$109
US$153
US$165
US$153
Agoda.com
All reviewson the rocksfamily bungalowmosquito netkoh phanganbeach bungalowlaid backparadise on earthno hot watersurat thanifull moon partyfriendliest staffthai foodspent nightsrelaxing staybeautiful beachbaht per personelectricity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

My friend I stayed here during the time of the full moon party because we wanted to be far enough away so we didn't have to stay 5 nights but also close enough to go. Mai Pen Rai is very secluded and has it's own little bay with a cute beach. Therefore, it was very popular for families and for those simply wanting to relax. The staff was friendly enough and the food offered at the two only restaurants was decent. It was a nice place to relax during the day; however if you're looking to meet people and see the rest of Koh Phangan this is not the place for you. It is expensive for transportation to other destinations on the island since Mai Pen Rai is the only one offering the services.

I know there are newer bungalows available however we were given one of the older ones. My friend and I don't have high expectations but this room was filthy! The bathroom floor was full of dirt and the walls had disgusting stains. There wasn't a shower or sink but simply a hose. We also were worried about losing stuff because there were cracks in the floor.

Overall, the beach and view of the ocean made up for the room but I wouldn't recommend this exact bungalow to anyone.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We just returned from 6 days at Mai Pen Rai Bungalows and loved it. The bungalows on the rocks were lovely and the view to die for. It is peaceful and quiet and the perfect holiday destination to unwind. The resort is definitely not for all ages as it is a hike to the bungalows especially if you have suitcases to carry. But once you reach the bungalow it is well worth the effort. The restaurant on the beach makes delicious food and not expensive. The is another restaurant on the hill which is once again a very steep climb but once their the view is amazing and their food is very good. It if definitely for nature lovers. I agree with the previous review that the water is very murky and I don't believe very clean as it seems the kitchen waste gets washed into the river and then into the sea. The dogs are also a problem they fight and nearly bit another little girl that was on vacation. Apart from those 2 negatives I would most definitely return to Mai Pen Rai. There is no night life and it is far from any attractions but worth a visit. 5 days is enough but I highly recommend Mai Pen Rai.

Room Tip: Bungalows on the rocks
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shar0n1966
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

I was not brought up in nature... So I struggled with the fact that snakes are pretty much anywhere and spiders the size of a fist of a fully grown man! I did not sleep well! Some will love it!! There are way too many dogs on the island and without fail at 6 am every morning they bark and make lots of noise, they are territorial of their spaces and fight often and even bite a small girl on her bottom! There are two dogs that are soo neglected by the people and some taken care of!! The staff I found to be efficient but very rude only smiled when it suited them! The water in the rooms are brown as we believe it came from the river that flows from the waterfall. The water pressure is poor and if staying on the rocks it's a nice long walk. The sea water is a but murky as it meet the river at the back of the restaurant that the restaurant drains there excess into including the man size monitor lizards that live in it!!! The place is in a stunning setting!!! Difficult to get to and far from everything. You can relax and plan to do nothing here! Some of my family loved it and some didn't!!! 3 days is more than enough!!!

Stayed: July 2014
4  Thank luxlife5
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I've visited this beach many a time over the years of living in Asia and stayed in most of the huts here. Mai Pen Rai is the slightly pricier one of them all, but worth it if you can spend the few extra dollars and still good value. Best huts are either on the beach or the ones on the rocks. They are quirky and unique, very clean yet still very natural and unintrusive to the natural beach and park surroundings. The hosts are lovely and the food is great, as are the cocktails. The chilled vibe is infectious and most people end up staying way longer than originally planned, and most return many a time too. A sure sign of a great place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tetleyteainacup
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Let me start by saying this isn't the place for you if you want to be close to the hectic nightlife areas on Koh Phangan. This place is off the beaten track on a beautiful isolated stretch of beach. It was a bit of a mission to get there and involved a pretty pricey taxi ride then a jeep to get down some of the undeveloped roads, but if you contact the staff first they should be able to arrange a cheaper pick up. We stayed in one of the family bungalows nestled amongst the cliffs overlooking sea. We had to climb up and under rocks to get there, so not recommended for youanyone with mobility issues. However, the bungalow was great, really quirky and sort of built into the rock either a mad stone bathroom, really unusual. It had a huge double bed and a mezzanine level with two single beds. The bungalow was fan only, and electricity goes off between 4am and 11am, but we found this was fine for allowing you to get to sleep. The restaurant/bar was located at the other end of the beach and was a nice stroll. Plus the food was great and decent value for money when you consider that there were only one or two other options in the area. The staff were great, especially Bao, who gave us lots of info and was just a really interesting guy to chat to. I would definitely stay heterosexual again if I was looking for a few days of peace and quiet. So beautiful!.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends