“9000 baht stolen - don't stay here!!”

J.J. Bungalow & Guest house
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Had 9000 baht stolen from my room whilst the cleaners were in my room and I was sat outside for less than 5 minutes. When I reported it the lady at the front desk just laughed at me and said she would check the room, she got angry when I asked her to ask the cleaners if they had seen it.

They never got back in touch with me and never got the money back.

Apart from the money being
stolen I would say the only positive about this hotel is the pool, it was definitely a differed standard to the rest of the hotel! Staff were so unfriendly, location isn't great, and the rooms were dirty despite being cleaned everyday.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 30 July 2013

We were met at the pier by a host from JJ Bungalow, he helped us with our bags and took us to the desk. We stayed the first night in the deluxe room which was beautiful but possibly a little overpriced (the most expensive place we stayed in Thailand), the pool was closed but when we asked they said it would be open tomorrow. The next day we paid in cash for the standard room which was £9 cheaper but should have been a LOT less. The room had dolphin sheets, a collection of lizards and a very unpleasant bathroom. The staff at the resort are pleasant, the location is perfect, a nice walk away from the central buzz and noise. The pool was open the next day despite the signs saying otherwise therefore we had it to ourselves!
I would stay here again in the deluxe room if it was a little cheaper, but not in the standard room for less than 1000 baht.

Room Tip: Go with the deluxe room, every time
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Hotel = these are small wooden bungalows located amongst trees. The staff met us at the pier and carried our bags the whole way. They also carried them back free of charge - we obviously tipped the man but it wasn't expected. Our shower broke in that it wouldn't turn off one morning and they had fixed it by the time we came back in the afternoon. As it is located amongst trees you do see a few bugs. BUT I hate insects and this didn't bother me, we only ever had a few ants in the room itself.
Location = it's still only a 5 minute walk to the beach but far enough away that it's quiet at night. The main negative point is our bungalow was one of the last and there were quite a few stairs to it which became tiring. This is a good value hotel on phi phi and I guess the key review point is I would stay there again.

Phi phi - if you haven't been to Thailand or phi phi before you must! We travelled through Thailand and it is by far our favourite island. It seems to be the last place where you really feel you can get away. The beaches are peaceful and beautiful and prices are low. We wish we had spent more time here instead of Phuket. Phi phi view point is a must!!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank A_smith1000
Reviewed 6 June 2013

I stayed here with my friends for 4nights. We had two rooms. The hotel is 7 mins walking distance from the famous Slinky bar & 10 mins from Tonsai Bay area. The rooms are spacious, bathrooms are clean, with free wifi & amazing download speeds. The housekeeping did a good job everyday. The hotel is located in a noise free area away from all the hustle bustle of the island. We did not use the swimming pool but it looked nice. The hotel staff was friendly. Over all it is a good budget place worth staying. We did not order food at the hotel so can't write about that.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Critic_Raghav
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Mass tourism comes with a price. People change, even the locals. Staff is uninterested what new tourist is pouring in this time. So don’t expect a warm welcome. The rooms are pricy compared to other places in Thailand. Another drawback of mass tourism: prices go up by demand. First room had a defect aircon. After 5 times trying to fix it we did get another room. You have to live in the room to appreciate it. The floors are painted concrete which have faded unevenly. So it does look a little bit worn down. But the beds are good. It has an aircon. The bathroom is not spectacular either. Every shower will swamp the bathroom so expect wet feet when going to the toilet. It has a porch, but in practice you won’t use it. But it has it’s own quiet and clean swimming pool. And that is really, really lovely when you are on an island swamped with tourism. With temperatures reaching 40 degrees celcius this is the place to cool down. Forget about the overcrowded beach. We took the swimming pool. If you compare the other hotels you’re not doing that bad after all. So in overall you can summarize it is overpriced compared with other places in Thailand, but being on Phi Phi with mass tourism and higher prices you’re having a few points that makes this place worthwhile (swimming pool, aircon, porch).

Room Tip: Use the pool. Its the best place of the entire hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NoBodySPerfect1
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Following my enjoyable stay in Feb this year, I stayed here again for 2 nights in May.

We quickly changed rooms after realising we had some young noisy Russian kids in the room next door (I had 4 nights in the same room in Feb & didn't hear a thing virtually, this time, it was obvious after 30 mins that the kids next door were not people you want to spend any time nearby) , & had a great quiet 1st night in our new room further up the hill. The 2nd night, the A/C completely failed unfortunately late in the evening & nothing we could do but endure the night as best we could.

I still think its a great location to stay, an easy walk to both bays, pretty quiet & good value for the size & quality of the room. One thing to note, just 2 sockets in the room, for the fridge & tv, so you have to plan when you want to charge phones, cameras, laptops, Kindles etc.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jaynewcastle11
Reviewed 22 April 2013

This place has big and clean rooms. It is about 7 minutes from the beach at loh dalum. The hotel has a small supermarket inside it which is great. The bathrooms are clean and room service is good.

It is far enough from the beach to drown out the loud noise but close enough to walk it down easily. Phi phi view point is about 10 minutes from this hotel.

The only downside is that the AC is sometimes not very effective as the rooms are quite big.

All in all, great value for money. I recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013