“Not a good night sleep”

P. P. Palm Tree Resort
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I agree with the other reviews that front desk staff weren't the best, in fact probably the worst we have encountered in Thailand in terms of attitude. We chose this hotel as it was central and we didn't want to stay somewhere you have to get a long tail boat to, though in hindsight I would go for the long tail boat and avoid staying centrally unless you are there to booze it up or party (we weren't).
Phi Phi in general is pretty smelly and has bad sewerage problems. While we were there it was impossible to sleep as our lights kept coming on in the room in the middle of the night randomly and then there was a noisy truck right outside our room from about 4am. The bed itself was fine. We had a pool room where you swim out straight into the pool which was the nicest thing about the hotel. Air con hit you right in the face and there was no fan alternative so sleep was really not going to happen so we paid for 3 nights but only stayed one.

If you can get this place for about $60-70 per room per night then it is worth it for seeing Phi Phi and not spending much time in your room but it definitely wasn't worth the price we paid (double that) and I wouldn't recommend it. We stayed at the sister hotel PP Casita last time 4 years ago and we preferred that (though reviews implied that palm tree was superior - I tend to disagree!). Breakfast was average though free so can't complain.

Room Tip: Only tried the pool access room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for P. P. Palm Tree Resort

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Hotel was nice but staff were terrible- This is not an understatement. I read the reviews before staying here and just assumed that it was just a one off bad experince... I was wrong the ladies on the front desk have a terrible attitude and for the price you pay its really not worth it. My friend and I were due to check out one day but asked to stay an extra night of which we were assured would be fine. We tried to pay but the girl told us there was no need to and that we could pay later. We came back to the hotel at 4pm only to find out that the girl had knocked off and checked us out. We had no room and had to pay for a smaller room and share it. The mega b###h at the front desk seemed to almost find this amusing because she couldn't take the smirk off her face while giving us the bad news. We had to suffer for an error made by them. No form of compensation was offered or even an apology. The place itself is decent but the staff ruined it. In particular the 2 ladies at the front desk. There was a few other incidents that pissed me off about the place but since it's been over a month the one I mentioned is all that sticks out in my mind.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael James C
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

I think this place wins with people who don't want to stay in hostels which are brimming in Phi Phi. I was shocked by how rude the staff at breakfast was both days we stayed there (we didn't have bfast on the last day). They won't turn the fan on one day when we came back and were exhausted. It's insane. I know it's a stupid lil thing but given then heat and humidity it's amazing that she flat out said no to turning the fan on. We were asked to eat our breakfast fast one day because they stop serving at 10. Rooms were subpar at best.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank walmuff
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I traveled solo and didn't feel the need to splurge (for the most part), so US$150+/night hotels were out of the question. Did a lot of research back and forth beforehand and finally decided to go with P. P. Palm Tree Resort.

The location of the hotel is pretty good and central (smack dab in the middle of Ton Sai Village, actually); with about a 5min walk to both Ton Sai Bay/Pier, as well as Loh Dalum Bay (the better beach). The bars/clubs along the beach on Loh Dalum Bay is also a 5min walk away, in the opposite direction, so it's close enough to the action but without the noise. In addition, there are a lot of shops and restaurants right outside the hotel, so it's VERY convenient.

The hotel has a medium-size, L-shaped pool in the courtyard, which is a nice alternative if one wants a break from the beach. Style of the room is more Thai than contemporary. It was not dirty, per se, but definitely felt quite dated to me. Not sure if it's the hotel or the room, or it could be just the island itself, but there were definitely mosquitoes.

Staff was OK, not overly friendly but not rude, either. The hotel did seem to have some pretty strict rules, like "no guest allowed at night" or "return beach towel by 8pm".

Phi Phi is not cheap. There's actually no major fault with the hotel itself. It's just that dated hotels usually aren't my cup of tea, and especially not when I have to shell out US$120/night for it. Good value it was not, but I am not sure if there's a better choice in the same price range, honestly. I may or may not return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank travelingrooster69
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This was the 3rd time I'd made a trip to Phi Phi although the previous time I was here was 4 years ago so I was expecting things to have changed a lot. In reality they haven't really but the place is starting to look a bit better developed. And this is the first important point to note if you're visiting the island for the first time, Phi Phi caters mostly for the backpacking community so you have to be prepared to get back to basics and leave any desires for proper 3 star plus hotels behind when you board the ferry. If you've read a few poor reviews on Tripadvisor about people's experiences on the island they are often due to the fact they are expecting the creature comforts and hotel quality associated with any normal tourist location, in reality almost everything that has been built in Phi Phi looks at worst like it is going to fall down and at best that it has been built by cowboys but that's just Phi Phi, it doesn't detract from the place, I just think it adds to the ramshackle vibe.

Now on to the hotels. Again, you'll notice if you've been wading through the reviews that no hotels seem to score that well on this island and that's broadly because there aren't any great hotels here. The best ones are located miles from the nightlife but apparently provide an excellent, tranquil, honeymooner's experience. However, if you want bars, restaurants, beach parties and general backpacker mayhem then you want to stay near the centre of the island between the two main beaches and 95% of the accommodation in this area is targeted at the super cheap, backpacker market.

An important point to note about Phi Phi hotels is that they represent very poor value for money compared to what you get in the rest of Thailand so whereas 5000bht a night would get you a rocket ship of a hotel on the mainland it will probably buy you half of that on Phi Phi - hence a lot of reviews mentioning poor value for money/disappointing experiences.

As for this hotel it certainly has the best rooms I've ever stayed in on Phi Phi, they are not big but they are pretty well put together, clean, the bathroom works (plumbing isn't a particular strength of Phi Phi) and if you are unlucky and it rains all the top cable channels (HBO, Fox Sports, Star Sports etc) are available on your TV. I'd recommend a room on the ground floor that opens on to the small but serviceable pool area set in the courtyard of the hotel. The restaurant seems to get zero business, in 7 days I didn't see one customer in there except for breakfast which is an average but passable affair and included in the price of the room.

If you're here for the nightlife then this hotel is in position A, right in the middle of the restaurants, shops and bars and less than a 5 minute walk from the stunning beach and the associated beach bars that go nuts every night of the week.

One point that punches through as a negative theme in many of the reviews for this place is the staff. Personally, I found them fine, albeit not particularly proactive but I don't doubt the validity of the other reviews. When you arrive you are confronted with a sign on reception telling you that visitors are banned from the hotel and if any are caught in your room they will be fined 2000Bht and taken into police custody (I know this sounds like a joke but I'm being deadly serious here). A second sign makes it clear that if you lose your key (standard hotel key card) you'll be charged 500Bht - the card itself has to be worth far less than a tenth of this. The staff are trained to make sure they brief you on both these messages very clearly when you check in which, I would think, puts a lot of customer's backs up straight away. I don't put the blame on the staff for this but rather the owners/management - they clearly have a limited understanding of customer service and don't seem to have invested any money in training their staff in focussing on the more positive messages on their customer's arrival. I don't know how many hotels I've stayed at in the world but this is the first I have come across to ban the guests of residents from the hotel and threaten them with jail time!

So in short, fantastic location for the nightlife and beach, great rooms (by Phi Phi standards), average staff (but if you make an effort to be nice they will respond in kind), OK value for money (the same as every other hotel on the island though) and as long as you are happy with the "no visitor" rule this place it is a very strong Phi Phi option. If it was on the mainland I would score it a 3 but compared to its competition on the island it is certainly towards the top of the pile hence I've given it a 4.

Room Tip: Go for a room that opens direct onto the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
21  Thank Sonic99
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We stayed 2 nights for our honeymoon.
When we arrived we got greeted by one of the staff who showed us how to get there.
We got a room with pool access, and we loved it! It's a bit more expensive but its worth it!
The room was nice.
My husband loved the place more than I did, but the average experience was good!
Good location as it is a busy area (the noise didn't get to our room so it was ok) all day so there's people around all the time.

Tips around Phi phi:
- Four seasons hotel serves really nice food all day
- Carlitos Bar has a fire show every night by the beach
- Shopping in Phiphi is better than in Phuket, more variety and less crowded
- Go to the Doctor Fish, on the main street, and get your feet cleaned by fish. This place is clean and well looked after, not like Phuket where most of the places looks like the water hasn't been changed in months!
- Book AT LEAST a half a day tour to go around the island and do some snorkelling. Amazing sightseeing.

Beautiful island!! <3
Beautiful island! <3

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ValMas24
Reviewed 13 March 2014

We had a really nice stay at the hotel. When we checked-in the front desk was either understaffed or the staff were harried/headless chicken. They took some time to check the 8 of us in. And there wasn't another person to help other people who were waiting to even collect their room key.

Our room was a little musty, but seemed quite alright. The rooms are a little small but comfortable.It was much better after we aired them out. We encountered a little problem with the water-closet which took it's own sweet time to flush and felt it needed an upgrade.We spent one night at the hotel and slept well after our snorkelling trip.

The breakfast was really good and we enjoyed it. It was great that they had 2 people behind the front desk to help us check out as we needed to rush to catch the ferry.

All in all, a good stay. Not memorable, but we did stay only overnight.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends