“DO NOT STAY HERE - unfit for humans”

Bamboo Mountain View Phi Phi Resort
Sydney, Australia
“DO NOT STAY HERE - unfit for humans”
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

I have learnt the hard way that tourist locations use the term 'resort' very very loosely...
My boyfriend and I were in a room at the very very top.. The walk up was enough to cause an injury - walking up steep uneven steps, and rusty steel slats that are falling away from the frame in places.. The room was not fit for humans, the bathroom was a grey prison cell - the walls and floor weren't even connected in places, and no hot water (big surprise). There were mosquitoes everywhere, the 'bed' is a dirty mattress on the floor, unknown stains on the concrete floor.. I could go on and on.. Bottom line is we had to get out of there as soon as possible, it's an awful place and I don't know how management could possibly offer that up as accommodation!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alyce612941

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

We booked directly through the bamboo mountain website in November last year only to turn up on January 3rd to be told they were "overbooked". No apology, no care factor and to make matters worse we
argued for the best part of 90 mins with the absolutely horrible woman at the desk to even get our money refunded. We eventually had to speak with head office in Bangkok to arrange this.

A basil faulty skit could not be better written than our experience. Two British lads arrived 2 mins behind us to await the same fate and had to ring the UK on their mobile phone at vast expense to negotiate their refund.

Cannot comment on the rooms, however the location is not right in town (probably not a bad thing considering the music goes until 5am every night on phi phi) and is up one of the steeper hills on the island.

On the walk up there however we passed what looked like a charming sewerage plant (enormous fetid body of water with 'floaties' literally metres from the reception/rooms), at least 3 metric tonnes of rubbish and a series of funky smells that will haunt me until I'm old and grey.

Do not bother!!

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Rani E

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

We went to this hotel in January 2014 with my wife, 4 yr old daughter and 3 month old daughter.

First of all, the place is a long walk from the pier so make sure you call them to come and pick up your luggage (if you really intend to stay there after reading my review).
When we finally got there, they provided a room that was higher on the mountain. The path to reach the room was uneven concrete steps very steep by moments. I had to make sure to walk close to my oldest in case she fell or missed a step. The room was (I thought) a joke when I saw it (keep in mind we paid 3,000 baht /night). It is made of wood and palm leaves and we noticed large stains of what seemed to be rotten material. Strangely enough one of the beds was sloped towards the low end of the slope and the other bed was right next to a large boulder that was part of the room (!). The mattresses, although they were covered with bed sheets gave me the impression that many sweaty people had lied on them before or had done other activities I rather not think of. Our A/C was not working and the lock to the outside door is an actual lock you would use for a gym locker. The worst part though was the bathroom; it is an extension of the cabin and is not even completely sealed off, i.e. any bugs or small animal that feels like coming into your bathroom can do so at his own leisure...horrible! I am not afraid of bugs, but I could just imagine a spider crawling on my spouse leg at night if she went to the bathroom.

They eventually changed us room because the A/C was broken; the other room was minimally better but still had an "outdoor" bathroom.

We were supposed to stay 5 nights in Phi Phi but we left the next day. The only good thing I can say about this hotel...motel...log cabin is that the staff was helpful and understanding. Unfortunately for us the manager was not there during our one night stay so we paid this horrible room full price!!!

Conclusion: this log cabin is overpriced for what you get. It's a 1-star in my mind and should not cost more than 500 baht / night but since everyone wants to go to Phi Phi they overcharge.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JW1979Mtl
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

I have travelled a lot and this has been the worst hotel I have ever been. You almost need climbing equipment to get to the hotel especially to the rooms.
The rooms are disgusting. No closet no chair, unthinkable awfull smell and so dirty that we didn't want to enter the bungallow. For Phi Phi a very remote location. The stuff was very rood. We called booking.com to cancel the booking amd told the booking about unclean rooms. As soon as the booking told us to take the pictures and to send them they sent their staff to clean the rooms which couldn't be done since the rooms were completely disgusting.
And they were telling people that they have no vacancies but were still offering rooms over agoda and booking.
One last time - DO NOT GO TO THIS PLACE.

• Stayed January 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Me and my friend had booked in for Christmas Eve and then 2 nights afterwards. We had paid the full amount (5,040 baht) to the hotel. Unfortunately we had been delayed with our flight and arrived a day late on Christmas day. When we arrived at the hotel they said we hadn't booked in and that we needed to contact booking.com as it was them who had our money. We rang booking.com and they said they hadn't taken any money away from us and that because we had arrived a day late the hotel had given our room away to someone else. Still in a battle to try and get our money back. The staff were rude and didn't care. Also when we were there a family had booked two rooms and were told that there was only one available for them, however the room they had been given had orange water wall over the bed. The staff were rude to them too. Awful place!!! Do not stay here. Do not give these people your money

• Stayed December 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This place is just not good. Do not stay here if you can avoid it. The location is fine as it is only a 10min walk from the bars/restaurants on Phi Phi and the hill is not an issue. However, everything else is.

The stairs to get to the rooms are poorly made, so much so I had trouble being able to lift my foot high enough to reach the next step as I went up. The rooms are incredibly basic (no closet, table/chairs etc) and for the price they want you can get much better on the island (eg. Maney resort directly adjacent to this resort). I will confirm the bathroom window lacked a pane of glass and instead was bars covered with fly wire. Overall I could see why, when other places on the island were fully booked, this place had vacancies. Unless you can get a dirt cheap price find somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have no idea what possessed me to stay at this place in the first place. In any event, I book by room, saw how disgusting it was, that the doors wouldn't even lock from the inside, locked with a padlock from the outside, and glass panes were missing from the windows. There was no way I was going to sleep there, especially as a young, female, solo traveler. There wasn't even an actual wall in the bathroom. It was literally pieces of Bamboo tied together...

I argued with them about a refund and they refused. When I got back to the US I contacted my credit card company to get a reverse of the charge a spent three months going back at forth as the hotel kept sending completely false information about my time there to my credit card co. Luckily I was able to provide hard evidence that they were lying and all charges were reversed. I wouldn't have my worst enemy stay at this place. It was horrible.

Room Tip: Don't get one.