“Run away!”
Review of Kinnaree House

Kinnaree House
Ranked #45 of 65 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The staff was okay but the room was really bad. It seemed clean at first but we had bed bugs in the bed, the second night we had to sleep with socks and pants because of it. A HUGE spider was staying above our head and it had lots of babies, we chased a least 20 spiders per night. There are lots of way better budget hostels in Phi Phi don't hesitate to cancel when you arrive!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Booked using bookings.com and stupidly did not look at the reviews. This place was ideally situated but then again you are on a tiny island. Everything is close. I had booked 2 days and had to pay as soon as I had arrived. Bad mistake always ask to see the room first. I had to pay extra for a third bed for my daughter. Which left the room with no walking space and not enough room for the 3 of us. The worst of all which still makes my stomach churn (and I have a strong stomach) is the bathroom it was coverd in thick black mould and even had small mushrooms growing from it! Iv only resently been allergy tested at my doctors because of my asthma and one of my main allergies is to mould. Now if I had gone on holiday without this knowledge I would have thought I had contracted some sti from the toilet seat since I had a massive skin reaction from the mould dropping off the ceiling onto the toilet seat! Horrible horrible place. Mould found on pillows and bedding had fresh blood stains. It was like it was out of the film saw. Stayed at resort charlie for less and was like staying at the ritz compared to kinnaree. Forgot to add that it is in the centre so there is a lot of music not really a problem except if half your bathroom is made if almost corregated metal sheets that vibrates to the base. Very dubious electricals in the wet/damp room

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Arrived to our triple room. Bathroom covered in mould. No tray for shower so it sprays all over the toilet. Bedroom was very basic. 5minutes into our stay a cockroach arrived. Furniture looks like it could have wood worm. Our window in the,room had a brick wall covering it up. Wifi doesnt work. pics are there for a gawk

Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

The rooms were pretty basic but everything you need really. A good sized bed, a shower with hot water, wifi, a fridge and a safe. It was 700baht for a night which was very reasonable. Good location literally 5 minutes from the beach. The receptionist was very pleasant and smiley. She also arranged a few day trips for us at a good price. I would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Felicity R
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Kinnaree House is in a very good location barely a 5 minute walk to the main beach strip and near a lot of good resteraunts and shops, and it surprisingly quiet despite being directly above a number of noisy bars. The lady who runs the place is very friendly and helpful and gave us a discount because it was off season making it significantly cheaper than most places in the same area. The room was small but clean(ish) with a big bed and a clean bathroom with hot water shower, but the pressure was rubbish like most other showers in Asia. But the major drawback was the air conditioner which made a noise like a helicopter taking off so it was near impossible to get to sleep and too hot to turn it off. Maybe in a different room it may be different, overall a great location and good value for money in a very touristy place

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2013

I am writing this review as I sit in this shoebox of a room. It is hard to know where to begin when reviewing this hotel.

I guess the easiest thing to start with are the pro's. There is one that is all! It is that in terms of location it is spot on, placed in the centre of the village where you could walk to both bays of the island in 2 minutes.

However there are plenty of faults with this place. We initially arrived at reception and were surprised when we had to walk back through the streets of the town to find our room, above a shop!

The place was extremely dingy and grimy and the first impression of the room is awful. It is tiny, I can lay down and touch both walls at the same time. The be is bed is uncomfortable and to make that worse there are obvious rips in bed sheets and unclean marks, on the under sheet there are marks which are either streaks of blood or streaks of s**t! To be honest I don't want to know which!

The bathroom is an absolute embarrassment as well! The toilet unclean and the shower resembles someone spitting on you! Also the hot water is in very limited supply!

In terms of safety it is pretty bad as well. The main window is broken so there is an uncloseable gap and the bathroom window doesn't close either! If it weren't for the safe I would have turned round and left!

Honestly the room cost us £20 or about 1000THB! It is not worth considering this place for second!

I maybe stupidly, have used their laundry facility and am dreading the results tomorrow!

From talking to other people it does seem like the general standard of hotel is bad unless you are willing to spend top end prices, probably out of most backpackers range. The amount of tourists coming into Phi Phi everyday means that people dot have to work hard to sell their rooms! Though I am certain you could do better!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Lets get things straight, Phi Phi Don is a slum.. a 5 star slum at best it. Dont get me wrong, it is not that bad of a slum but its what it is a collection of buildings propped up to look like a habitat area but with proper lights and water systems and also a stone walkway which sometimes gets very confusing.. So now that you have your expectations right, lets do the review.

I had originally made bookings with my dive centre online as I hate to have things left last minute. However due to some last minute changes the dive centre couldnt make any bookings for me and I was left to walk around looking for an accomodation.

I happened to chance upon this place as I saw the words room outside its place and I asked the pleasant lady if they had any vacant rooms for the next 3 nights and she happily said yes.

I had checked the room and found that it had a large bed, clean toilets and english tv (more like Malaysia's astro channels) and even had in room wifi!. I took it up and was a happy camper for the next few days.

I only used my room to sleep and also clean up after my dives and do some revision for the dive program. The bed was very firm and good.

In terms of location, I think this place is quite close to the night life.. u can hear people party or go about at night but its not loud enough to keep u awake. Only one night i think I had a bunch of drunk people outside my room take pics of cats in the hallway. But that was fine..

My only complaint about this place is that alot of things turned off when u removed the room key and the water wasnt really fresh as it had some salinity to it. So I couldnt really feel clean and my diving gear wasnt that rinsed.

I really like this place as the price was way cheaper than what most places offered me and was beyond my expectation. If you need a room with good ac and clean toilets and wifi this is it.

Possible changes : arrange for some of the fixtures to be changed as it looks old and mended. Otherwise its quite ok.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
#38 of 65 in Ko Phi Phi Don
Phi Phi ViewPoint Resort
Phi Phi ViewPoint Resort
#25 of 39 in Ko Phi Phi Don

Been to Kinnaree House? Share your experiences!