“Well, we loved it....”

Ranked #4 of 62 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Shenzhen, China
“Well, we loved it....”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This was our second stay at Blue Sky, having holidayed here four years ago. We made no mention of the fact that it was a return visit, but the owners (daughter, mother and father) recognised us which I thought was quite amazing!

They are used to dealing with backpackers (which we weren't technically) and so offered us plenty of options according to budget. For us, this was not too much of a concern and we ended up with one of the bungalows closest to the beach. We had electricity 24hrs a day (yes, the electricity shuts off for 4 or 5 seconds every six hours, this only affected the aircon at night), a fridge and aircon. Other bungalows have TVs as well.

The bungalow was clean and reasonably maintained, with fresh towels, the bed made and floors cleaned inside and out every day. There are more upmarket places on Long Beach, but this suited us perfectly and we were able to use the money we saved doing other things in Phi Phi. Blue Sky is located very near the only operating restaurant (we went in the low season) so this is definitely an added bonus.

I've read reports of the staff/owners in other reviews and to be honest, I don't know what the problem was. We found the family to be delightful, with a hello and a wave every time we saw them, INVALUABLE advice with regard to seeing the Black Tip Reef sharks who congregate around shark point and even hugs when we had to leave. Our experience of the resort and the family were only positive.

Long Beach is quite quiet, which is a major part of the attraction for us. It was easy to walk to Ton Sai (30 minutes) or take a taxi boat, when we wanted something a little more lively. The snorkeling is really very good with plenty to see. You also have the advantage of being able to swim to shark point and see the sharks whenever you want.

If you are looking for an upmarket experience and have the cash to do it, then this is not the place for you. If you are looking for safe, clean comfortable lodgings with some mod-cons and friendly staff on hand at a reasonable place, I don't think you will find better on Long Beach.

We'll definitely be returning to Blue Sky!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Al_McDowall

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Monterrey
Reviewed 11 March 2013

the rooms are not that bad, lot of mosquitos , no tv, no wifi, poor breakfast, nice staff, strange owner, nothing wow!!!
cannot keep anything in the fridge, cose when you leave the room the electricity is not working anymore. every 6 hours the electricity goes off, so you have to wake up in the night to restart the AC.
we arrived and the lady owner asked us 3000 bahts per night, but we negotiated and paid 2000, without breakfast.

Room Tip: not the ones in the back, there is a generator.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 15 January 2013

My husband and I come to Thailand every year for the past 3 years. We have always been charmed by how friendly the Thai people are. But the owner/receptionist at this "resort" is definitely one of the worst we have met. She has a very rude way of saying "no" to everything. The rooms are substandard relative to the price, the towels are dirty (at some point our towels disappeared from our room and the staff and the owner were arguing for 20 minutes before giving us "supposedly" new towels which were damp and appeared to have been used - absolutely disgusting!) The breakfast is "nothing to write home about". At check out we were charged 300 baht more because the receptionist said the linens were dirty. The money is negligible but "for heaven's sake" isn't a resort supposed to deal with dirty linen? I will NEVER recommend this place to anyone. Period!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank weindork
Brive-la-Gaillarde, France
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We stayed at the Blue sky resort for 5 nights. the place is beautifull, on long beach. Good if you like the calm, quite far of Tonsäï if you want to go out in the night. 40 minutes by feet through the forest, or 10 minutes by longtail (taxi boat, 100 baths/person at night, at least until 2 a.m.). Rooms are clean but furniture a bit old. no TV, WiFi can not be worse. Good place if you like reading. the lady owner might need a smile. The rest of the team is nice and smile but do not understand english. The resort doesn't have a restaurant but serve breakfast. If you like to rest on the beach all day long, it's a good place to go (longtails are quite noisy but you'll get use to it)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Madrileño por el mundo
Reviewed 20 December 2012

The lady at the front desk wasn't too nice, neither her parents helping her at the back room.

Prices were ok, room was really clean, but furniture, toilet and shower were depressing.

Couldn't leave A/C on while being out of the room = mosquitos.

Yoy will need to move with long tail boats to get there, as it's 40 minutes walking from/to Phi Phi town.

The hotel is just in front of the beach,

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
dublin
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights of 3 night trip to Phi Phi after checking out early from Phuphaya Seaview Resort: I literally got off a boat and asked if there was rooms, I took the first room that was on offer to be honest after the previous hotel I would have slept in the jungle.

Location:
The hotel is on Long Beach which is mainly accessible by Long Boat, it costs 100B per person from the pier. At night time some boatmen will try to charge you anything from 500B-1000B to get back, we just declined and found someone who would take us for less. You will pay more to go back at night time the most we paid was 150B per person.

Long Beach is a lot more relaxed than the area around Tonsai during the day it can get kinda hectic with the boats coming ashore, once or twice I was convinced they were about to hit people in the water. The water gets deep very quickly and the tide can be pretty rough at times to if you do have kids there make sure to keep your eye on them

Rooms:
The rooms were basic and clean, there was some ants in one of the sideboards but after 10days in Thailand anything smaller than the size of my hand didn’t bother me anymore, the bed was comfy. During the day the electricity would switch off for 1minute and then come back on (I assume they switch to a generator or something)

The rooms are cleaned daily and towels changed daily

There is no wifi in the resort

Staff:
I only encountered the old man and the lady at reception, the lady was certainly no nonsense and I dint think was willing to go the extra mile. Read my review of Phuphaya Seaview Resort: to see a proper bad experience, so after that I found her to be a delight

There is no restaurant however the resort next door has both a restaurant and wifi and long boats, so if I was to stay anywhere it would be there or one of the other resorts on Long Beach. Not that there was anything wrong with my stay at Sky Blue but I just feel there is more available in the other resorts

Overall:
It is an ok basic resort, if you are pre-booking your resort I would advise you to book elsewhere on Long Beach as there are probably better resorts for the same price I think we paid about €50 a night. If you’re just turning up and getting digs, believe me you could do a lot worse . . . a LOT worse

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

Owner Not polite at all
Located in long beach means that you have to get a taxi boat to go to Town otherwise walk 30 min in the forest
No taxi boat at night or maybe 1000 bahts they Will drop you off
Place ok for family but not for people who want to go out
Facilites are terrible very old
I've been shocked in the shower by the hot water generator
Don't go in this hôtel
No electricity between 1pm - 6pm (maybe all hôtels in Phi Phi?)
No restaurant