“Good budget hotel not far from the main action.”
Review of Phuttachot Resort

Phuttachot Resort
Ranked #53 of 62 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Good budget hotel not far from the main action.”
Reviewed 20 October 2010

We had 4 nights here and all was good. You get a/c, large room, balcony with chairs and a fridge for very little money if you book on a deal like we did. The building has a large cabin feel as it is made almost entirely of wood. The staff are friendly and helpful. Although the hotel is not in the centre of the bars and resteraunts it is just a 5 min walk away, as is everything on phi phi!

There is a sewage works on the way to the hotel but this really is not an issue when choosing this hotel, you can smell it for about 30 seconds as you walk past and thats it.

The room will not get cleaned if you dont ask so remember to before you leave for your day on one of the amasing beaches on phi phi which are 2-3 mins walk away.

• Stayed October 2010

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2010

Time in my life I think I was tricked into something completely different from what I was told it was going to be. This “room”- no way it is a hotel- much less a resort, it is very close to a waste area- it smells horrible. When we walked in the room it was quite chocking. The bathroom was small, dirty, and way too run down. The sink was broken in half! The sink knob was so filthy. There is no shower curtain- expect to get the whole restroom and toilet wet while you shower.
We stayed here for four days and they never cleaned the room. We had to go to the reception everyday to get new towels. The floors get very dirty from beach use, but it stays dirty.
The worst are the bed bugs- my entire body is now filled with bumps from scratching it all night.
The AC cool to maybe 22 degrees – so it does not get very cold at night.
This hotel is far from everything, and the opposite side from anything on the island.
The price for westerns may see very little- but when you arrive here you see that is the average price for better hotels. The bed is so hard- my back hurst!
Stay away from this place unless they decide to upgrade their rooms.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Germany
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I guess I am not the typical backpacker any more, since I am looking for a little more comfort during my travel.

The Phuttachot is an "inbetween" hotel - somewhere in the middle. It is not really cheap and it is definitely not comfortable...

I chose the hotel during my last trip since a lot of other accomodations have been fully booked and they were priced reasonable. Would not do that again, nor would I recommend the hotel.

Why?

Kho Phi Phi is a very beautiful island. This hotel though is in the only not so beautiful part of the island...you have to walk by a stinking sewage storage.
Rooms are quite ok, quite clean, quite comfy, but everything is only quite. For being average they are not cheap enough. There are way better options in both directions..cheap and more beautiful accomodation. That´s why I would not recommend this.

Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights and it was perfect for us. It was a lovely size room with air con and a fairly good size bathroom. The balcony was also a good size but does not overlook much.
The hotel is away from the main streets with the bars and restaurants so is peaceful and quiet at night but only a 5 minute walk away.
The rooms were clean and reception was very friendly.
Great value for phi phi!!
Would stay here again!

• Stayed March 2010
Washington, DC
Reviewed 23 March 2010

I booked the room in advance and was pleasantly surprised to find a clean and comfortable room off the beaten path (about 10 minutes from the center of "town" at the foot of a hill) where one could sleep well. The staff greeted me at the pier and lugged my bags to the hotel. As another reviewer commented, you will walk by a waste-water treatment facility -- a clever outdoor garden that is actually quite lovely. But, you might want to breathe through your mouth as you walk past -- it does smell at times, but only right where the facility is (the smell doesn't travel). The receptionist was very friendly and helpful, as were all the staff I met. They speak English to varying degrees and we never had trouble communicating. The room was clean, had good aircon (very quiet and efficient), a mini-bar, nice furnishings, a balcony, and free wi-fi (ask for the password). The view isn't great (overlooking the courtyard of another hotel and trees), but nice for a sunset, relaxing, and refreshing in the cooler evenings). Advice - ask for an upstairs room with a balcony, otherwise you'll be looking at a wall. Two notes of caution - (1) the bed is rather hard (to me), but this seems common in the poorer countries I've traveled; (2) the bathroom has no separate shower stall -- so be careful not to spray water everywhere (and as always, best to wear flipflops). Also note, that while the staff is very friendly, you will need to ask if you want your room cleaned or serviced (bed made, fresh towels, toilet paper). But, that's not a problem, since you just need to ask if you need anything. They do not provide toiletries so bring your own (e.g., soap, shampoo). Compared to other places I saw and read about, I was very happy and felt I got a good value. I would definitely return although I might also try for a beach front place if i can find one for a similar or only slightly higher price (however, they got poor reviews and were much more expensive).

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Australia
Reviewed 21 January 2010

We stayed at Phuttachot for five nights over Christmas and although a little worried after reading some of the reviews on this website, we were pleasantly suprised.

Firstly, if you are expecting 5 star accommodation at a 1 star price, then don't stay here. If you are afraid of taking a leisurely (no there is not a giant hill to climb, the hotel is at the base of this)10min stroll from town, then don't bother. If you like to have a whinge about small details that are quite common in Asian hotels, stay elsewhere!!!!!!

We arrived and were met at the chaos of the pier! We followed one of the guesthouse staff as he pushed our baggage in a makeshift trolley to the guesthouse. At checkin, we were greeted with a lovely lady and her cute little son...she spoke very good english and was very helpful.
Our room was very clean, the furniture is all wood and added to the charm, there was also a TV and small fridge in the room. The bathroom was clean and all in one room - open shower, toilet, sink etc. As with the rest of the accommodation we stayed in throughout Thailand, this seems to be the norm. So what if the toilet lid gets a bit wet. Get over it! Maybe the mattress was on the hard side....so were other hotels that we stayed at. If you want a top of the line mattress in your room, go pay for a 5 star hotel.
The balcony overlooks some new bungalows that are being built......incase some of the past reviewers have forgotten, this island was devasted during the tsunami, and building works are a common site on Phi Phi to this day. It's not a big deal. The otherside of the hotel is backed by ramshackle sheds that just seem to be housing wood etc. You only see this when you walk to and from your room after being out exploring for the day..so stop whinging!
In regards to security, there is no safe in the room, the doors do have locks and although the door may seem flimsy, we did not have a single issue about this at all. Nothing was stolen, no one broke in. We felt completely safe here.
There is a convienience store a minutes walk from the guesthouse which is very handy for snacks and drinks...and very cheap!

In regards to the apparently disgusting waste water treatment plant....I have now idea what people are going on about. When we first walked past this area I thought it was a garden. It's lush and green and if anything, you occasionaly get a slight smell for a second as you walk past. In comparison to the smells in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, this is nothing. There are some works being carried out opposite the water plant.....as above, the island is still in repair/rejuvenation and renovations/building sites are going to be a fact of life for a little while longer. Just keep this in mind.

Yes the guesthouse is a 10min walk from the town centre. We enjoyed this, it was away from the noise of the bars and restuarants at nightime (think pounding music and people throwing flyers in your face everytime you walk past, trying to get you into their bar/resturant......even more annoying was the fact that most of them were westerners).
As far as the dark, scary walk at night goes.......crap, yes it's dark, it's night time! However, it's very far from the scary, dark road that other reviewers have portrayed. A lot of the locals use this road to walk home at night as well, you are far from alone, or unsafe. Carry a torch if you find it hard to see walking on semi lit roads.

The rooms are only made up if requested before 11am each day. This is a fantastic rule, which more hotels should adopt. Why waste water and energy (when the island relies on generators) to clean sheets, towels etc, when it's not always needed. However, if you want your room made up everyday, you just need to let reception know.

In regards to reception, they were always open fairly late.....and early in the morning. I went for a couple of runs in the morning up the steep hill behind the resort (trust me, it's a lot steeper right at the top!) and the staff were always out the front to say good morning.

We thoroughly enjoyed our Phuttachot and would definately stay here again in the future. We even had a few glitches during our stay...we lost electricity for about 30mins (normal on Phi Phi with everything running on generators) and no water for about an hour, but the staff were extremely apologetic and it was as simple as swapping to another tank of water. These small hiccups would not prevent us from staying here again, nor from us recommending this hotel to our friends and family.

After reading some of the reviews on this website before leaving I was a little paranoid about what we would be walking into to. We were delighted and extremely suprised at the hotel, it's amazing value for money considering you are staying on an island paradise.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple