“1 Star Quality at 3 star prices. I don't recommend Sand Sea View” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Phi Phi Sand Sea View Resort

Phi Phi Sand Sea View Resort
Ranked #22 of 60 Ko Phi Phi Don B&B and Inns
Kelowna, Canada
“1 Star Quality at 3 star prices. I don't recommend Sand Sea View”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

1 star property with 3 star prices. We paid 80USD a night for a non A/C room with 2 uncomfortable beds. The bedding was a large towel.
Sadly Phi Phi is a victim of it's own success. Too many people on a tiny Island. On a positive not the beaches on the other side of the Island are almost desertd and very nice

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

This is the most disgusting place I have ever had to stay. We travelled to Phi Phi just after New Year and it was very busy, so we had no choice to stay as we couldn’t get anywhere else. I am not one for writing reviews, but feel on this occasion if I can help someone avoid staying here then I must. How it can be called a resort, I do not know. The pictures on this site, also must have been taken a long time ago as it doesn’t look anything like that. We didn’t take pictures as we didn’t want to be reminded of it. It actually makes me itchy thinking about it now!

We were told by the travel agent that it was very nice and made to pay a 2000bht deposit along with each night being charged at 3000bht.

I knew the minute that we arrived that it was going to be horrible, the grounds are not looked after and the bungalows look so shabby and are mixed in with the little houses where the workers live. We stayed opposite a Thai family, who one night had a very loud fight outside.

We were originally provided with a towel for a bed sheet, we were provided with sheets when we requested some. The bungalow itself, moved with every footstep like it was going to collapse, there were cracks in the floor and holes in the ceiling which had been filled in with toilet paper. The place stunk, every time we went into it, I felt like I was going to be sick. The bathroom was disgusting, it was so old, I have never seen anything like it. The toilet kept blocking and we were not provided with toilet paper.

It doesn’t have a lock from the inside, you can only lock it from the outside using a padlock which means when you are in bed of a night you are not secure. You are also not able to change the code on the safe, which means the staff know the code. The TV did not work either.

We were bitten alive staying here, my friend had 57 bites just on her legs. I slept in leggings, socks and a hoodie so my skin did not touch the bedding.

We did not get replacement towels for the whole 5 days and our room was not cleaned during this time either.

Outside the kitchen restaurant was a bird kept in a cage that was so full of bird mess the smell was disgusting.

The beach here is also very close to the harbor and there is a lot of rubbish in the sea. It is about a 5 minute walk from the main part, and at night there are no lights. Also, the beach is in shade most of the afternoon.

Phi Phi is amazing, so you don’t want to ruin your experience by staying here when there are much nicer places to stay for the same or less money.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here. They are all the same.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jennifer T

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Turin, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

first of all it is necessary to clarify that this is not a resort, but it can be classified as a camping bungalow. If considered as a camping bungalow the position is nice and quiet, right on the seaside, even if the best beaches are in another part of the island. The room is not so clean and rooms with fan are very warm. but if considered as a camping bungalow can be a good choice.
But it is sold as a resort, so i would expect something different like clean bedsheets, room cleaning at least once in 4 days...it is overpriced if compared to the rest of thailand (but phi phi is more expensive than the rest of thailand). Breakfast not included and in the bar is overpriced compared to all the other places in the island.

Room Tip: choose air con bungalows (with fan is impossible to sleep)
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

Don't expect much, we had a simple bungalow next to the beach, next to the Phi-Phi hospital. It had what we needed, not more, not less.
TV had almost exclusively Asian channels, but who cares...you are not there to watch TV.
It's a good 10 minutes walk to the Pier. Quite at night.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lampros B
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

The rooms I had (and I stayed in two) were both clean, if a little dated, with sheets, towels, free water and the usual asian shower-without-tray scenario. I opted for a fan rather than A/C which was a pain because the only settings were flull blast or off, making sleeping a bit tricky, although my neighbour didnt have this problem. I also awoke every morning to what I assume to be the staff talking and shouting in the premises behind my room (and someone being sick but I guess that Phi Phi for you!) The arrangement of the bungalows is linear which means that if you're at the back the view is unfortunately a rather unattractive yard. For the price (I paid 800 baht), I am told you could find better in Phi Phi, but personally I found the situation half a mile from the chaos of the town and close to the beach worth the money. Others have commented about the owner and while he was a bit standoffish at first, I actually found him to be pretty helpful and friendly after a few days.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bellevue, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

Staying at this place was the worst experience I had in 3 months travelling Africa and Asia. Walking into the room it seemed basic but ok. After going to sleep bed bugs crawled from under the mattress to attack me. I killed a few hoping that was it but it wasn't. I woke up the owner around midnight and asked for a room change - after having to argue that I wanted a new room TONIGHT not tomorrow he put me in a different room. This room ALSO had bed bugs. Pictures attached.
Never ever stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank PSA314
Perth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

The location is pretty great with only a 10 second walk until you're on the beach but it is a little bit of a walk to the markets and bars (which wasn't such a bad thing because it meant it was nice and quite), but the room was absolutely awful. Our bed had one sheet covering the mattress and nothing else (we had to use a towel for a sheet), the fridge was warm, the room hadn't been aired out and smelt pretty terrible to begin with, and the bathroom is the worst design I have ever seen. The shower is nearly on top of the toilet with no shower curtain and a drain in the far corner, so you're basically left with an underwater bathroom which hardly drains. We stayed one night and it was more or less like sleeping in a sauna, thankfully we booked a room with a ceiling fan but AC is a must on Phi Phi as it's just so hot and humid. Even outside was cooler than our room. By the next morning the room smelt so awful because of the drain in the bathroom that we could hardly step foot in the room. Unless you're just looking for a place to leave your bags, pass out after a late night, and leave first thing in the morning, then seriously just avoid this place.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple