“Beautiful beach and resort--you'll want to stay here the whole time!”

Viking Natures Resort
Irvine, California
“Beautiful beach and resort--you'll want to stay here the whole time!”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My friend and I just spent four days on Koh Phi Phi and I must say that I spent the vast majority of my time at the Viking Nature's Resort. We arrived on the morning ferry from Phuket and right when we got of the boat, there was a man waiting for us holding a sign that said "Viking Nature's Resort." We had to wait about thirty minutes for the other ferry to arrive and disembark but then we were ushered onto a long tail boat that took us directly to the resort.

The beach of this resort is small but gorgeous. The sand is quite soft and there are bits of coral on one side. Don't even bother leaving this beach to go look at the one on the other side of the island. That beach is filled with trash and tourists taking advantage of this island paradise.

The food is excellent at the resort and the same price as anything in town. From 7-8 pm they have free tasting of Thai food which is quite fun. We also had free breakfasts with our room reservations which was great because we got four different items (ex. pancake with fruit, fruit and granola, fresh fruit and juice, eggs). My friend opted to go scuba diving most of the time on the island but I am a snorkeler myself. When I asked the resort staff where I could book a trip to go snorkeling, they told me they do daily trips (4 hrs and 6 hrs) and I could sign up with them. There were a total of three guests that went snorkeling and we each paid 800 baht for 4 hours of snorkeling at three different sites, a trip to Monkey Bay, a trip to see Maya Beach (location for film, The Beach), and lunch! Make sure to wear sunscreen even if it is cloudy and ask to use a life vest when you go visit Maya Beach as the swim from the long tail boat to the dock is harder than you would think.

The room was very clean and they brought us a new bottle of drinking water everyday. The shower is easy to operate and there is a giant mosquito net to protect you from the monsters that live on the island. Town is about a 15 minute walk away over some pretty up and down terrain. I only went to town to get aloe and dinner one night because the resort is so much quieter and more peaceful. Night life in the town is like Spring Break in Mexico. Not my cup of tea. The resort is the exact opposite and you have a wide range of guests from families to young adult couples. They also have a complementary long tail that takes you back to Tonsai Pier when you stay is over and they will get you there in plenty of time.

A great great experience on a beautiful island! It is worth spending the extra money to stay at this resort.

Room Tip: I was in room R9. I don't remember what the specific name for the type of room was, but any of t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Purple2Moose

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockton, UK
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This place is an amazing experience. The setting is incredible and beautiful and the bungalows themselves are excellent. We ended up extending our stay twice because we loved Phi Phi. Because the resort was full this meant we ended up staying in 3 different bungalows, all very different inside, all had their own charm.

The resort is smack in the middle of town and long beach, about a 10-15 minute walk (hike) to both. Or if you don't fancy trekking over beach and jungle trail (which has lighting all the way to town) you can get a taxi boat for around 100 baht.

We went on one of the resorts full day tours, it's a lot cheaper than if you book in town and if you are looking for a quieter tour without any drunk kids then this tour is great. It was 800 baht per person. You get to go to a few must see islands, some excellent snorkelling spots and of course, The Beach.

Unfortunately it's not all great, you might expect in this kind of place the Internet isn't great. You can't pick wifi up at all in the bungalows and its incredibly slow from the restaurant. It makes planning your next stop incredibly frustrating if you haven't planned ahead.

The restaurant is overpriced and because its 15 minutes from the nearest bar you have no choice but to pay 65 baht for a small can of local beer. Breakfast is expensive and portion sizes are almost mean.

I don't think all the electrical sockets in the bungalows are safe. In one hut we stayed in the power shorted out two of our chargers and made our phones incredibly hot. Luckily we noticed it was the socket causing this before it broke any of our other gadgets. If you need to charge anything I would pay attention to the plug, if it seems to be overheating remove it and charge at the restaurant instead. Save yourself the trouble and expense of damaging your chargers.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit more for a bigger room with an ensuite shower. The difference isn't much and th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed here back in 2009 and ever since I've longed to go back.
The huts were very comfortable and well laid out.
The views were amazing, especially from your hammock on the balcony.
It's a bit of a climb to the huts but it's all worth it.
The reception area is really nice in the evening.
You can sit, eat dinner, drink cocktails and just relax.
There are two private beaches. They're small but very peaceful.
I've recommended this resort to all friends who have travelled to Thailand and they've loved it too!

• Stayed February 2013
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Viking is à Beautiful Place! Very nice located in the jungel and directly on the Sea with 2 private braches. The Staff is very friendly, though their english is Not the Best. But everytime they could Not understand us, they called One german Girl, which is working there. She was very friendly and helpful and Provided us with man Information.
Two Bad Things i have to mention. Somedays they Played Techno Music, and that also for breakfast. One of the staffs, he seems to Be inian,always seemed to Be annoyed by us, so we got almost scared of asking him something. But thats alright, because there were man other, friendlier staffs! Would definatly come back to Viking!
Special thanks to sor and La! They were very helpful and offered Great Service in the Restaurant.

• Stayed June 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We visited Viking Nature Resort this June and the experience was amazing. We stayed in M7 - definitely worth the extra money. The views were spectacular and the room furnished in traditional Thai style. We thought the restaurant food was reasonably cheap, service was generally very good and the private beach beautiful.

It is quite a trek to get to some of the rooms (steep steps/tree roots/no proper paths) and we did find a few small lizards and bugs in the room but this did not bother us. Around about a 15 minute walk to the main centre, or a 200baht trip by boat - can be a bit annoying having to barter on the pier on every trip back.

In summary, we also stayed at a five star resort at Patong and I much preferred Viking Nature - character, quirkiness and it was a real experience. Would highly recommend!

UK
Reviewed 3 July 2013

It's always tricky reviewing a place as one person's misery is another person’s joy....

Booked here for my chaps birthday, we're not really planners so hadn't considered how to get to the resort on arrival, but hurrah there was a man with a sign and a boat waiting for us, score one. FYI you get a free transfer to/from the pier on arrival and departure you just have to ask the right people. Also music in the bar is pretty sedate and is also turned off by midnight so I’m not sure how that could be an issue….

Initially I was disappointed that the resort was tucked away in the jungle and there were no sea views. However on thinking it over this is much kinder to the Island and its natural beauty. The rooms are beautiful, my only complaint would be that they are very dark, fine in the evening but a pain during the day. Slightly higher watt light bulbs or some white paint could well remedy that. We had a hut with attached bathroom complete with hot water - the trick to a scolding shower is to turn the water pressure down :) True there is no AC but this is a nature resort so it would be hugely contradictory if there were. The only issue with the fans is that to get any effect from them you have to leave the mozzie nets slightly open but that’s fine, it’s a nature resort and I brought repellent with me. The beds were a little hard, but this may have been a ploy to get me to invest in a massage on the beach - something I would recommend!!

Much has been made of the tricky paths around this resort but for me that was one of the charms. I love that they have kept nature as it should be and managed to create trails which have minimal impact on the environment, far better than the poured concrete on the rest of the island.

Walking to town takes approx 15 minutes and it’s a very pretty walk. The beaches by the resort are much cleaner than those in town. Long beach is next door the other way but I have to say I preferred the resort’s own private beach.

A lot of people have criticized the service but I can honestly say I thought it was impeccable. Everyone was attentive, polite and smiley. It was my chaps birthday and without any prompting the hotel gave us free cocktails to celebrate, something above and beyond and very much appreciated.

I love the tasting menu they do each night and discovered a few treats I'd never have ordered without it. Food is excellent, the best we had on the entire trip they also make mean cocktails. Was a little over whelmed by how generous the alcohol servings are and woke up with a fuzzy head as a result!!

Really enjoyed the snorkeling trip organised by the hotel, very disappointed with Maya Bay and the amount of rubbish on it (I did do my civic duty and pick up two bags worth), such a shame for such a beautiful area.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and would definitely return to this resort in future.

1 Thank MiddleM
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 June 2013

What an amazing hotel/resort. They upgraded us for free to a grand deluxe room. They had great free breakfast - amazing pancakes. Beautiful views of the ocean, private beach, and cool funky wood bungalows. They also organize great snorkeling tours of nearby islands.

Room Tip: Ask for a free or discounted upgrade when you arrive. The deluxe and grand deluxe rooms are signific...
3 Thank Orinda4Life