“oh my god what a dump!!! so far away from everywhere.”

Golden Hill Bungalows
“oh my god what a dump!!! so far away from everywhere.”
Reviewed 6 March 2012

read the terrible reviews prior to my arrival but was desperate. its 15 minutes walking from the pier and about 8 minutes from the beach. the rooms are horrible. for 900 bhat we got a non working tv, no ac, no hot water, plenty of bugs and lizzards, no soap or shampoo. the stairs to the room or streep and disgusting with cat shi$ everywhere. the swimming pool feels dirty and is very small. no wifi reception in rooms.

• Stayed March 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I stayed here with my girlfriend and did not book in advance, the place was clean and very basic.
We had a double room with fan just near the pool and paid 900bht.
Dont expect amazing things from this place but the pool and the bar beside it make up for it.
It is about a 10 - 15 minute walk away from the main bars and up a couple of steep stairs but makes it worth it when you need to chill for a few hours as Phi Phi does not really stop.

If you are looking for luxury dont book but if your a seasoned traveller it will suffice.
Staff were really friendly and offer a laundry service.

If you are planning to ferry across to another island dont book with the hotel directly as a 2 minute walk down the hill you can pick up a ticket for 100bht cheaper.

All in all a decent stay.
G

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed in a fan room and to be honest, it wasnt the nicest room we've stayed in. There was a bit of a funny smell and the room was unnaturally hot during the day (warmer in the room than outside), however it was clean and semi comfortable. The staff were lovely and the food they serve is just like home if you're from Ireland or England (real greasy spoon!). Not a bad place to stay on a budget.

• Stayed February 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 11 February 2012

If you're OK with having builders in front of your door, starting to work at 7:30 AM and you don't mind cockroaches in your bathroom then you will find this place alright. The floor of the rooms seem like they break any minute and the overall atmosphere of the rooms..well, there is none. This was one of the "most expensive" places I chose during my travels and I've seen much better and cleaner places for less money than this one.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2012

From stepping off the boat we absolutely loved Phi Phi, it is by far one of the best islands in Thailand. However, our experience was almost ruined by staying at Golden Hill Bungalows!

After waiting over 30 minutes were greeted at the pier by someone from the hotel who helped with our bags which was definitely needed as the trip to get to the bungalows is quite a distance. After climbing the seemingly never ending set of steps, we arrived at reception and was utterly dissappointed as it was filthy and swarming with mosquitoes. We then had to climb even more, steep steps to get to our bungalow and were disgusted as soon as we entered the room. This is by far the worst place me and my friend have ever stayed and having been backpacking for a while, we have stayed in many cheap and cheerful places. The smell inside the tiny rooms was overpowering and it was stiflingly hot as the fan was a prehistoric machine. There were holes in all the walls and the bed sheets didn't look. Like they had ever been cleaned. The worst was to come when both my friend and I woke up in the morning and was head to toe covered in bedbug bites! They were extremely painful and itchy and meant we to stay in for 2 days as the heat made them worse. Needless to say we quickly checked out and found another much nicer place on the island which was slightly cheaper. This may seem like a good place to stay based on the pictures and fantastic price but it is definitely not worth it, there are many nicer places to stay for a similar price on this lovely island.

Under no circumstances would I recommend to stay at Golden Hill Bungalows...... I would rather sleep on the beach than stay here. Don't let this place ruin your stay.....

Room Tip: No room here is worth the money. The best tip would be to stay as far away as possible.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Samantha C
United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Having read the reviews on here, I probably wouldn't have stayed here - but I'm glad I didn't as this place was a great find. On arrival to Koh Phi Phi Don, there is a free luggage porter service where a guy put your bags in his cart and wheels it to the hotel for you. Check-in was great, friendly and easy. I had an air-con deluxe room (quite pricey but worth it for the air-con) and was happy with the size of the bed and the bathroom/wet-room. There is free wi-fi and I was able to access it in my room. They are in the process of building a pool I believe so the place is a bit busy with workmen but no where near as bad as other reviewers have stated.

The rooms were exceptionally clean and I would have happily stayed longer if I had the time. The bungalows are a little out the way after climbing up a long set of steps but it's only about 5 minutes stroll to the centre of town, or 15 minutes to Long Beach (by far the best bech on the island). All staff are friendly and from England so they speak perfect English. My only thought to the other reviews is that they have reviewed the wrong Golden Hill as there is a dingy little hotel down the bottom of the hill with a similar name.

When I return to Koh Phi Phi, I will be coming back to Golden Hill Bungalows (Bungalow Dave)!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Adam Q
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Location- when it rains it's full of sewerage- it feels like walking in the slums and is one of the far end places to stay.

Room- smelt like urine (and that wasn't even from the toilet)- stains everywhere. There were large gaps in the floorboards and lizards were climbing through.

Bathroom- no door handle on the "en suite" so the vile bathroom was left hanging open for you to see when you are in bed. the toilet seat was covered in stains and it was filthy!

Service- the Thai lady was sweet and offered discount if we booked another day (probably realising that after seeing it, we wouldn't be staying long)...I am angered that this is run by English people- shame on you guys- I've stayed in cheaper places with better hygiene and appeal. after braving the night we moved elsewhere- double in price but it felt like a sanctuary compared with the Golden Hill. there was nothing Golden about it unfortunately. I'm not one to complain, but I'm angry that these people think it was an acceptable room to sleep in. I couldn't wait to leave. If I had met the English man running this, I would have liked to have voiced my anger- the place was empty and there was nothing social about it.

• Stayed September 2011