“Don’t Stay Here, much better accommodation on Phi Phi”

Phuphaya Seaview Resort
Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
dublin
“Don’t Stay Here, much better accommodation on Phi Phi”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I pre-booked this “hotel” for 3 nights on my trip to Thailand but left after 1. Im am going to try my best to give an unbiased view.

Location:
It is about a 15-20minute walk from Tonsai Pier, do not believe what the website says about a lift to the hotel, we along with other guests had to walk the whole way. The hill is extremely steep I’m 27 and have completed marathons, triathlons and am generally in good shape and I found this a struggle (it could be because for the final & steepest portion of the “climb” you have to take your own bag/bags)

The “road” is not very well paved or lit and at nighttimes I would be concerned about safety. There are resorts all the way up in fairness so my concerns may be unfounded.

Rooms:
We stayed in a Deluxe Seaview Bungalow , the rooms are small not what I would call clean and I felt pretty unsafe. Your “door” is a flimsy patio door that I think if you really wanted to you could pull open. Inside our room there was a door onto a “communal balcony” that we shared with the people in the bungalow behind us. Thankfully our door was a wooden one, theirs again was a patio door not great for security or privacy I would imagine.

There is an old CRT television however none of the stations worked. A safety deposit box is on the same shelf under the window in full view of anybody. There is no fridge, we were provided complimentary water unfortunately this was luke warm due to the heat in the room. There is a small AC beside the bed. They also provide complimentary earplugs

I have spelt on concrete floors that were softer than the bed.

Resort:
The resort looks like it would be nice in a rustic kind of way, unfortunately this is not the case the resort is just not serviced properly. The hotel are aware of the noise issue as they provide earplugs yet have made no efforts in soundproofing the rooms.

Wifi is offered but you must be in range to the router which is in reception. The deluxe seaview rooms are on the other side of the resort so no Wifi

There is a huge issue with the noise in this resort, it is like standing outside a nightclub. You can hear the music so clearly that you could sing and dance along to it. This coupled with the hard bed doesn’t make for a good nights sleep

Staff:
I think here I need to make the distinction between staff and management.
The staff are very nice and polite people, they smile when they meet you and ask if they can help.1 young chap in particular offered to carry my bag and nearly killed himself trying to lift it before I told him im ok carrying my own bag.

Management:
I have never encountered a manager in my life like the manager in this resort, his attitude was basically “I have your Money , I don’t care anymore”. We had booked in for 3 nights after 1 night of non sleep I went to check out and cancel the 2 nights, there was no backdown from his as I had prepaid via agoda. I am currently chasing up agoda to try and either receive money back or to have them knock this resort off their site as it is not 3 stars. At the time I didn’t care I just wanted to get away from the resort as quickly as possible, also they didn’t help me with my bags when I left (not sure if that’s cause of how we left things or its their policy)

You do not want to walk around Phi Phi with 2 20kg bags in 30degree weather.

Overall
This is a shabby resort in a poor location , however the views are truly amazing you could probably overlook it all if it wasn’t for the noise issue (it’s a big problem) and the disgraceful attitude of the management

Room Tip: Get a room in a different resort
4 Thank steof1984

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Worst experience in seven weeks of travelling. When we arrived there were bugs in our room, ants all over the bed, geckos. We asked to be moved to another room, management said there were none available. We wanted to leave the next day and management said they would charge us seven nights even though we only stayed one. Management was rude and condescending. We tried to argue with the booking agent that it was unfair to be charged for seven days when our room was dirty and full of bugs and there were no other rooms. Apparently there had been two other rooms available and the booking agent accused us of lying even though the management had told us the night before he had nothing. We ended up being charged for three nights instead of seven, for the one night we stayed there. The music was also really loud at night, it sounded like you were in a club.
Basically good if you don't care about where your staying and don't plan on sleeping!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kelly N

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Reviewed 21 August 2012

This was a surprisingly cute place. We got the bungalow room with a/c.. it was very clean and we were pleasantly surprised. We were very concerned on the way there because it was a long walk and much of it was walking through kinda dirty paths.. But I think that's expected throughout Thailand and so shouldn't reflect badly on the hotel.

Anyways, the hotel is located close to the center of town but you have to walk about fifteen minutes.. Much of it is uphill so this is not a place for people who cannot walk a lot.. Please take note of this. Also if you plan to go out late.. The walk back will be dark and desolate. Lastly, you can hear the music from the clubs nearby which can last til late. They provide earplugs for you which is amusing. I was so tired when I got back to the hotel that I slept with no problem, but if you're noise sensitive this is not the place for you.

as for breakfast, don't expect much.. Either eggs, toast or yogurt and cereal.. But you eat with a spectacular view so it's worth it!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank charchar99
Reviewed 20 August 2012

The hotel is located 20 mins from the main area in Koh Phi Phi, great if you want to stay away from the noise of the town at night. But it's still next to another beach which has the music blaring till the early hours. So a quiet night is out of the question. Worse still is the hill of death. The hotel is located on a hill that has an inclination of at least 40%! It's completely manageable for someone healthy and young. However, I still only left the hotel after I had all I needed for the day. The prospect of making two trips back to the hotel in one day fill
ed me with dread. We booked a fan room because a/c was too expensive. Paid 800B for a night, without breakfast. The fan doesn't really reach the bed, even on full power. So a/c is a must but for that price you can get a fancy hotel in the main town. Those of you just looking for accommodation when you arrive should follow the route to this hotel as there is plenty of accommodation available on the way and before you reach the hill.
The worse thing was that we booked for 6 nights and were asked to leave after 5. They had double booked the room. With the prospect of being fined 400B for every hour after 11am on our 5th day, we weren't happy to say the least. The police sided with the hotel even though we had a confirmation email from hotel.com showing our 6 day reservation. Words cannot describe the frustration. But we ended up leaving the island a day early. The experience was a little frightening and really put a downer on what was our last few days of a 30 day trip in Thailand. Check out PP Sunset as an alternative. Only positives come from the kitchen staff and bar tenders etc. really genuinely nice people.

1 Thank F00lishmortal
Le Mans, France
Reviewed 13 August 2012

we chose the Bungalow de Luxe avec Vue sur Mer for 2 nights for 156 eur that we paid before seeing the place in real. First, to arrive there you have to be in good shape and young. You have first to climb to arrive at the place that it is nice becouse it makes think about the house of Robinson Crusoe, the view to the sea side is verry beautifull, but the way to arrive is difficult, with mouch dirt arround and in the night there are buts. When we arrived, the workers were marking noise to built the rest of the property that is verry in safe with the cameras everyware. The finish of bungalows isn't well done, so, the doors have problems to be closed (even if the place is new), the bathroom is verry simple and as all the bungalow it isn't enough izolated so we hear almost everything inside and a lots of living animals can get in true holes, i've seen lizards so i couldn't get sleep all night long being affraid of it and second and not the last the NOISE is verry hard here, we were into the party from our bed hearing all the musics of all the discos all arround on the beach. For the price that i paid, really it didn't worthed, more; you don't have no swinming pool. The second night our bed lingeries had several stained.

Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

Cons - music is loud at night, but if you stay on that side it will be loud. The walk "up" might be difficult for some, steep but short hill.
Pros - wonderful view for sunset, nice and simple bungalow,clean, interesting bathrooms. Small but free breakfast. It is not right in town so it is peaceful on the grounds. All of the staff worked extremely hard to please you, even in their broken English. We were always greeted with a smile.

• Stayed August 2012
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed at this resort for 6 nights in July 2012. We enjoyed our stay and overall it's a good value for the price. But everyone contemplating a stay there should know that the music coming from the bars on this side of the island is absurdly loud and bad (dance music); it goes on until 2am 7 days a week apparently every single day of the year. The owners of this and other resorts on this side of the island should really make a deal with the bar owners; the music doesn't have to be that loud and go on for that long every single night, when there are probably only five drunk guys with their buckets full of cheap booze sitting there. Other than that, here are some more recommendations for what could be improved. The hotel doesn't provide a sheet to cover yourself with, only a blanket which probably never gets washed. If you can't persuade the hotel to give you an additional sheet, bring your own. Definitely pay the extra money to go for the airconditioned bungalows; it's completely worth it! The breakfast is very meager; I wouldn't recommend paying more for the room to include breakfast. It's best just to get breakfast in town, where they sell fresh croissants and other french pastries every morning. Other than that, the bungalows are clean; the staff is friendly; and the view are amazing; the 10 minute walk from town isn't bad at all.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple