“Its a climb….”

Phuphaya Seaview Resort
Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed here for 3 days when I went to phi phi. When I first arrived I was thankful that they met me at the ferry port and carried my bags otherwise the walk up the steep hill with my back pack potentially would have killed me lol! Especially in the heat.

I stayed in one of the basic rooms, it was hot, but clean and the shower was cold, but the bathroom was so warm that the cold shower wasn't actually a problem. The room was clean and basic, but unfortunately there was no fridge and no safety deposit box, which was a bit annoying.

There is no view, so to speak, and the hill can't be tackled if you have any mobility problems as it is steep, although after the initial shock you will get over it and just mentally prepare yourself.
The beds are comfortable and there is a fan, but it goes off every time you remove the key, so it can get a bit stuffy whilst you are away.

My room door fell off whilst I was there but they were nice and put it swiftly back on.

It is about a 2-3 minute stroll to Loh Dalum Bay beach which is nice and there is plenty of space to just chill out. Tonsai beach is about a 10 minute stroll. I didn't mind the location too much and the room was ok, but you do need a fridge and a safety deposit box, warm water is not good.

You can hear all the music from the beach because its so close and so loud, but I didn't have trouble sleeping.

Stay here but just make sure you can get up the hill and grab some cold drinks on your way up :)

Room Tip: you get what you pay for
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Phuphaya Seaview Resort

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights in a concrete room which was very nice and although the music is very loud in most of the island at night, it wasn't too bad in our room. Yes it is up a hill and about ten minutes away from the pier, but so what, it's an island with no proper roads, so you will need to use your legs. It's a nice resort, but you will have to walk the ten minutes back into the town and for the nice beaches. This place was ideal for us and we only moved on as we are travelling and tried to find slightly cheaper accommodation, which wasn't easy but we did. Worth a stay just to be away from all the people in Phi Phi

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank W14RNA
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the very basic accommodation for 2 nights. We didnt spend much and we expected the worst. We were pleasantly surprised with the room, yes it was basic but it was clean and the fact we did not have air con it was cool enough with the fan in the room.

Wow the hill to get to this resort is crazy, I read the reviews prior, however I thought that they were exaggerating well no!!! I do not recommended this resort if you are not able to walk hills as it is very steep!! When we first arrived they got us on the back of an old tuk tuk with 8 more people and our bags, that was a scary experience not to be repeated lol

As it is nestled in the hill with trees etc it has lots of mosquitos so we were bitten alive.

The view from there is amazing though, breath taking worth the pain of getting up that hill then down another to the bar area. The bar was reasonably priced and had good food.

Our friend was staying in the bungalow and decided that one night was enough and they left the island. They had lizards, mosquitos and ants in the room, however it is a hut so you would expect that.

The staff were nice and helpful. The loud music comes from the beach area so it doesn't matter where you stay on the island you will experience the noise so the hotel cant be blamed for that. I definitely would not go to phi phi don for a relaxing holiday as it is more a party island and the beach isn't the best!

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

We have booked 5 nights but we can live only nights because is very dirty , we find cockroach everywhere to move inside the room and the toilet everywhere !!! Very very far from the center with bad way and also dirty !!! The noise from the beach makes very different with the quite place that you need for the reason you booked this kind hotel !!!! I dont give even 100 baht for a night for this rubbish place !!!! Be careful !!! Greece has many wonderful and clean islands and hotels !!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NikosVIPGreece
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Travelled as a couple, staying 4 nights (pre-booking on internet, based on location away from city and quite okay price)

Stayed in bamboo house, which itself was rather small but cosy, relatively clean and nice. The view from bamboo house at the sea is blocked by trees though. Staff is helpfull and keen, although be prepared to use gestures rather than english.

Now, why rate them 2 points? We had to murder around 10 crockroaches in bathroom, the path leads thru some non-pleasant part of Phi-phi and the steep (but short) uphill path will leave you sobber. We had to ask again for clean sheets once. There is some glue (or resin) on the bamboo (probably to prevent ants inside) which sometimes drops from ceiling, ruining your clothes.

The biggest problem (for us) was the music. I guess if you plan to party all night and stay in this hotel, it might be good for you, but to those wanting to sleep sometimes during night this should be a loud warning. The dance/trance music peaked at almost 60db(!), closed windows didnt helped as the sound is still coming from bathroom direction and earplugs wont do their job, cos you can still hear the drum-beat and those nervous bass-lines. When the music stops at around 3-4am, the constructions begins at 6am :)

It could have been a nice stay rated some 3 or 4 points, but just like small kids we were too much scared when the darkness comes to that place...

Room Tip: Not sure, the music is loud everywhere accross the resort, the bigger bungallows seemed to have more...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights as a couple in our late 20's.

It was ok we had a seaview bungalow which was fine it was quite big with a big airconditioner and the bathroom was newly renovated. Safe in room but no fridge, wifi also worked in room. Hot water as well

We read a lot of complaints about this place for the budget rooms having no hot water but if you look on their website it actually says there is no hot water for these rooms so that is no fault of the staff.

It is quite loud you can hear the beach clubs pumping until very late (about 3am) if you come home drunk no problem otherwise it can be difficult not to listen to the music. However the music is so loud I doubt there would be many places except on the far side of the island where you wouldn't hear the noise.

Reading about this hill I was expecting a mountain! But it is nowhere near that bad - unless you are very overweight or very unfit I can't see what people are complaining about. It's only about a 10min walk to town.

They also picked is up from the ferry (without me arranging to do so) and carries our bags all the way to the room for free for us.

Wouldn't stay here again but a good stay.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Quite out the way, big hills to climb & not very well lit at night, however amazing views from the top!! Staff are not friendly or helpful. Rooms are very small, so hot, no fridge so drinks are warm within minutes. No aircon & wifi doesn't work in rooms. A lot of reconstruction being done aswell.
Not worth the money such a shame because this could be a beautiful place.

• Stayed: September 2013