“Excellent”

Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
“Excellent”
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

We've just spent a week there and we enjoyed every minute there! Besides nice rooms, great food and always friendly staff (be ready for Thai speed of life so different from Western wolrd one - and I found it lovely), it is by far the best hotel beach across Phi Phi Don and Phi Phi Lei! Right fit for those looking for quiet place without crazy night-life and sort of bazaar area found in Tonsai Bay area.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I read so many reviews and looked at so many options for our few days on phi phi. I decided upon the holiday Inn due the location and snorkeling options.The location of this hotel is out of this world, a little longer to travel to, but well worth the extra effort.

Location/paradise aside here is an honest appraisal of the hotel! I feel I owe it to TA and future visitors (sorry its so blooming long!)

Once you finally make it off the ferry, approx 3.5 hours after leaving phuket you are desperate to get to your room. all guests are transferred from the ferry by hotel longboat to the reception area which is outdoors. You are then required to wait until one of the staff members attends you, but are offered a welcome drink and a cool towel :) which is certainly needed. You are then required to go through a oddly lengthy check in process, which required you ro discuss and prove you return transfers are arranged for leaving, before you have even been given a key!? we waited too long in the hot sun and wished we could just get the room.

We booked the newer Coral sea view rooms following advice on TA. I was very happy with the location of the room, close to the infinity pool and a lovely stretch of beach, and a spectacular view of Bamboo island.

The room has an odd set up, with the sink and vanity area in the bedroom and then a door to the very small shower area, with horrid clingy plastic shower curtain opposite the toilet. there is then another door to the outside shower. To be honest its all a bit of a silly design. The inside shower offered no pressure and the water stayed in the bottom of the tray area all day as the drain was uphill! The towel rail is hung over the toilet (yuk). The bedroom door opens directly onto the toilet, so beware your knees if someone is passing through! The outside shower is great, with good pressure and temperature once you wait for it to settle, but you have to travel through the room, then the bathroom and then outside to reach it??!! A towel hook would be useful.

The room itself was ok. but furnishings did not seem good quality and were marked and scratched and I had assumed the rooms were pretty new. On the plus side the beds were very comfy by Asian standards, the linen fresh and clean and the view from the bed fantastic for sunrise:)

The bags took an age to be sent to the room, and in fact after many long hours of travelling, we were desperate to have a swim and make the most of the last hour of daylight, so again perhaps this could be improved.

The hotel areas were very well kept, the gardens were lovely and the infinity pool area was a real treat. towels were provide here in the morning.

The beach areas were stunning, however I would like to see the hotel provide staff to collect bottles and cans of drink, or a bin as there was litter left by other guests, and when snorkeling i saw a great many holiday inn bottles in the sea :( As the hotel are capitalizing on the beauty of the location I feel a greater effort in preserving that is needed. Some chairs needed repairs, but there did seem enough for people. I would have liked to see a few recline-able loungers rather than deck chairs.

The biggest disappointment about the hotel is its blatant greed in the charges it applies throughout the resort for the mediocre food.

The mini bar has a sign in it saying - no expensive mini bar here- use our shop. Almost £10 for 6 cans of tonic water, not sure that a better option!

The food is incredibly expensive, especially for Thailand. I ate in the main restaurant area on the first night and the service was very poor. I was ignored by staff so i went for a wander to look at the Thai buffet which was on offer at a fairly reasonable 550 baht a head. Awful. One container labelled Masaman curry contained nothing but orange grease and the Pad Thai was hard and looked awful. Buffet food was un-replenished and presented poorly. When I was eventually greeted and offered a table I ordered from the al a carte menu. Trying to get my bill was difficult and I was over charged (something which happened on the all 3 occasions I ate at the hotel so beware).

The next night was billed as surf and Turf at an extortionate 888 bhat. On arrival we overheard guests complaining about the food, so we decided to try the Charbar instead. The service in this area was better and certainly friendly, I ordered a masaman curry and it was very nice and presented well. but there was no atmosphere and we were the only guests, and again i was overcharged until my bill was rectified following a long wait.

Following our dining experiences we opted for Jasmins - just next to the hotel on the beach. It was really lovely here, as it was busy with all the hotel guests, nice music and the food was really nice.The service was fast and friendly from these enterprising sea gypsies. They also have two shops, which are over priced, but much better value and choice than the Holiday Inn.

Its this that really lets the hotel down, If you want to charge high European prices for second rate food, at least do it with a smile! The over priced food and poor service kills the romantic ambiance that could be created in this wonderful location and it is blatant greed. It also seems to provide the local sea gypsies with a good living! Some staff seemed unhappy, especially at breakfast, although as this is self service it was better! But again the food was often greasy, left standing too long or cold. Empty plates left on the table until you left :(

the evening entertainment was also really dull, with a sad lady singing sad songs to no-one, as everyone is at jasmins eating lovely food, playing cards and enjoying the reasonable priced drinks and atmosphere!

The smiles came from the gardeners and the housekeeping team, who were all lovely. The room was serviced well , but I have to ask the hotel to consider the sustainability in such an area. I did not need new linens everyday, inc pillowcase and towel, even un-used were changed?!! I think this is because a bundle of linen is dumped next to each bedroom in the early am. Offer the guests the option to make their own decisions about waste and the environment, especially in such a location!!

Room service plates and food were left outside the rooms by the housekeeping team.. Old food and plates were often left until 4pm in the afternoon, some covered in rain water and ketchup which looked awful, especially as i saw staff walking past them without a second glance.

booking trips was almost impossible! We asked everyday to put our names down for the snorkel adventure, but each day we were told that no one else had their names down so there was no point writing down ours??!! one day i insisted my names were written down in the hope that others would ignore the "no names" advice but no. Many guests took more expensive private trips to the same locations and I wonder if this is not a bit of a ploy also! I spoke to another guest who had requested the same trip as me, and together we would have had the minimum persons required. we both paid extra for private trips via the hotel....hhhmmmm

So overall the hotel is blessed with being in a beautiful location...Almost the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Of the 3 resorts on this beach, it was by far the best in appearance. the hotel lets itself down with its food - a very important aspect of any holiday and the mixed service from staff.

The big question would I return? well the location is really hard to beat, so Yes with lower expectations and I would eat at jasmins and enjoy the good service!

the snorkeling is ok if you can ignore the bottles and cans, but across at bamboo Island it was really good.

I feel my mark for this hotel is fair, and is not an indication of the beauty of this amazing location.

Room Tip: room 150 coral wing was very private and had amazing view of bamboo island. 1 min from infinity pool...
1 Thank lovetoholiday11
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear lovetoholiday11,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. Whilst I am pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

It's a resort on the peaceful side of phi phi island

We stayed at the beachside room - which was literally on the beach

Excellent beach and super clear waters
You can take a canoe yourself in the calm waters or take snorkeling equipment (complementary) from the beach house and enjoy the sea

It also has a fantastic sunset bar - where you can relax and watch the sun set on the sea

Restaurant is not really very great - but decent enough

It's not a very expansive resort nor are the rooms very luxurious
But have a very friendly staff and top class service

It's approachable only by boat that adds to the charm - so it's totally worth 2-3 days of beachside vacation

• Stayed April 2013
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 23 April 2013

If they halved their prices for the rooms and restaurant then this hotel would easily get a 5 star from me. But the rooms are just TOO expensive. They're very nice, but there are nicer rooms throughout hotels in Krabi province that do not cost any where near as much as these (£120 per night!)

The staff were very hospitable and treated us very well, but it is the least you expect for the amount of money you pay to stay here.

The beach is VERY beautiful but seemed almost infested with tiny rectangular jellyfish all along the sand during tide shifts, thousands of them. Whether they sting much at all I don't know but it put me off enjoying a splash in the sea. There are two pools, both pretty good but not very big.

The restaurant consisted of an outside seating area with what seemed like a BBQ, and an inside buffet. We were encouraged into the buffet area. It was disappointing though, especially for the cost. I know that there are bug problems in tropical countries but when the restaurant struggles to keep ants off the food that's on display, then I don't believe you should have to pay what they charge. Plus I've had nicer food for a tenth of the price in smaller restaurants throughout Thailand.

I would not stay here again on the basis that there are many beautiful beaches throughout Thailand with good hotels that would provide me with just as much a pleasant experience... but for a fraction of the cost here.

If you prefer sunbathing by the pool to swimming in the sea then this hotel should be ideal in that respect and there are some water-sports that you can get involved in so there should be plenty for you to do here if you have the money spend. On paper and in theory, the hotel is definitely 5 star, but in my opinion it just lacks in certain areas to achieve 5 star in practice i.e. great food, realistic prices, flawless beach (tiny jelly fish everywhere), better bug control.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve F
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Dear Steve F,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience your buffet experience may have caused you.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed for 6 days at Holiday Inn Phi Phi, and our stay was wonderful.
Arrival: we arrived after a 2,5 hour trip and the lovely staff was waiting for us with a fresh towel and a cool drink. We had our room ready, and they gave us all the details of the Resort (activities, etc) in Spanish. It was a very nice detail.
Staff: all the staff was very friendly, and always saying hello with a smile when you encountered them along the Resort.
Kids Club: This was very nice, because our two year old daughter enjoyed playing there, especially during rainy days. There are two girls that take care of the kids, that are lovely with them.
Room: we had room 608. It was close to the new pool, and very close to the beach too. The bed was extremely comfortable, and when we arrived to the room we had a very nice flower arrangement on the bed. You have two places to have breakfast, one was close to our room, so It was very nice to walk only a few seconds and have our exquisite breakfast with the nice view of the beach and the sea.
Prices: the prices of the food and the drinks were ok. If you consider that your are staying in a very nice Resort in the middle of a paradisiacal island, I think prices are very good. One special detail is that kids eat for free. There is a very good Kids Menu, with different options and desserts too. Our daughter loved the spaghetti with meat sauce, and the fish fingers.

We want to thank all the Staff of Holiday Inn Resort, and also their GM Carol, because these were our best family holidays

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Pros:
-quiet location for couples
-great view of moskito and bamboo islands
-great diving centre, had a wonderful scuba dive near Phi Phi Leh
-very close to other restaurants in the Gypsy Village and other resorts, the best by far is the one in Zeavola Resort!!

Cons:
- the gym needs an overhaul
- since the resort is far away from Tongsai they should be more helpful in coordinating the transfers: for example on the way back to Phuket, once we were already in the Ferry with other people who had also stayed at Holiday inn we realized we would have gladly paid for a speedboat transfer: the hotel should coordinate this, so people interested can write down their names and share the expense of the speedboat
-far away from Tongsai if you feel like partying
-missed having a fan on the ceiling

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Nithas S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this review, 3 April 2016
We thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate that you have enjoyed your stay with us in overall.

I am very grateful for the feedback provided as this gives us the opportunity of improving our services. And I have shared your comments with our team members to continue motivated in delivering high standards of service.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to our resort.

Best regards,
australia
Reviewed 19 April 2013

This was our second stay at Holiday Inn Phi Phi. We booked directly with the hotel as they have special offers for returning guests.

Arrival:
We were welcomed and acknowledged as returning guests by the lovely Areewan and given a refreshing cool drink. Our room wasn't ready but we had arrived a little early so we wandered around the resort and it wasn't too long before we were in our room.

Room:
We stayed in a beachfront bungalow a few steps away from the beach. Last time we stayed in the Coral Beach Studio which was also quite nice and newer but we preferred the bungalow. We preferred it's closer proximity to the restaurants and we think the beach area is much nicer. The room was spacious and the aircon worked very well. The bed was very comfortable, (the most comfortable on our 3 week trip) and we slept well every night.
When we first walked into our room there was a lovely flower arrangement on our bed saying "Welcome back" which was truly wonderful and made us feel special.

Beach/location:
This is why we come back to this beautiful paradise. Soft white sandy beach. Emerald green seas. Deck chairs on the beach...you can sit with your toes in the water... hammocks in the trees where you can lie down and read a book whilst listening to the sounds of the waves splashing on the shore, huge shady trees with swings hanging off the branches. Our son loved it when the tide went out and he could frolic in the sand exploring, looking for shells and clams and hermit crabs. My favourite time was at sunset just sitting on our balcony having a glass of wine or sitting by the sea reading a good book and listening to the long tail boats in the distance. Pure bliss and soooo relaxing.

Food/Service:
Initially service was a little slow but this improved during our stay. We met Carol, the lovely GM during our stay and she explained that there are a few changes going on with some new staff on board including a new chef, and a new restaurant services manager. Currently I think that they are in a transitional period adjusting to the changes and I'm sure with time things will only get better. We thought the food was very good and our son loved the kids meals which we received for free. (Kids eat for free at Holiday Inn resorts)
We had breakfast included in our rate, which was plentiful, eggs made to order, cereals, pancakes etc..... we also had the buffets dinner on several of our nights at the Tai Rom Prao restaurant. The surf and turf night was really nice ..they have fresh seafoods and meats..you simply choose what you want and it's cooked while you wait. Delicious.
We also had lunch on a few occasions at the Cha Bah restaurant which we all enjoyed...try the spicy chicken burger..it was delicious.
The view from the sunset bar is just amazing...take your camera, relax with a cocktail and enjoy watching the sun set. Just beautiful.

We had a wonderful trip in Thailand, we stayed in Krabi, Patong and Khao Lak but we all agree that our time at Holiday Inn Phi Phi was our favourite , we all miss it and we will be back next year:)

Room Tip: Beach front bungalows..just metres from the beach