“Everything is great except the restaurant”

Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island
Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Singapore, Singapore
“Everything is great except the restaurant”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The natural beauty surrounding this resort is absolutely breath taking.
The beach and the surrounding areas are as good as it can get, clear waters turquoise colored, white clear sand it has all the makings of a typical tropical heaven.

The resort too gives justice to these burlesque surroundings, service was fabulous very courteous and well mannered and always there to help. I have been to Thailand a couple of times, staying at a couple of well known resorts, in terms of staff responsiveness and courtesy this resort clearly stands out.
The rooms are nice and spacious and being very near the beach one is to expect a bit of sand coming in the room. The resort provides free snorkelling equipment and Kayak and with a few meters from the resort one can see a lot of corals. Try venturing out in the low tide and at really shallow waters you will be able to see some real good aquatic marine life. On one occasion I was able to see a live coral range (near the resort) and the view was straight out of one of the scenes of “Finding Nemo”

Near the resort there are beautiful spots for snorkelling (Mosquito Island and Bamboo Island) providing great reasonably shallow watered snorkelling experience. You can book a boat right next to the resort and can bargain for a good deal.

Something absolutely lacking and a desperate need for revamp is the restaurant the resort has to offer. The restaurant is ageing with age old cutlery (some of which look quite grouse), very few limited meal choice, a very average buffet break fast and above all an appalling lack of hygiene. On one of the occasion I found an insect in my curry, on another I saw a cockroach running around in restaurant and on yet another instance found my plate stinking of egg. I understand that a property next to beach will have its fair share of the insect world hanging around but to have one in your curry is pushing it a bit far.

As an alternative you can venture out of the resort and find couple of places to eat, one named Swasdee is ok and has some decent choice of menu, though the rates are comparable to the resorts restart.

All in all a wonderful place to stay (expect the food)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank azharaga
Nithas S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear azharaga,

Thank you very much for taking the time to sharing your experience about your stay and for the positive comments made about our hotel.Especially the staffs, they will be delighted to know their efforts and personality have been recognized.

Regarding to your comments about the food hygiene, I have share your comment with kitchen team in order to address all the issues mentioned and take the necessary actions to minimize re-occurrence. Any how, I would like to share with you that our hotel conducts BI weekly pest control visits and sprays against mosquitoes and insect each time.

Regarding to your comments about the food having had limited choice, our Executive Chef is currently working on improving our menu offer and service at the restaurant.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Holiday Inn Resort is perfectly located on picturesque Lam Tong Beach right at its own stretch of pristine beach. The resort itself offers an average level of accomodation as all areas are ageing and especially the wooden elements are in need of redevelopment. Altogether it's a good place for some relaxing, peaceful days at the beach but the resort is overpriced for the standard.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Nithas S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear masterffm,

Regarding to your comment about the room and facilities, it has been passed on to the Project to take appropriate action. By the way, I am glad to share with you that our rooms are currently undergoing soft renovations, like the re-tiling of the bathrooms. Decorations and flooring will be done thru 2014.

wales
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Ok, where this hotel is situated it's pure paradise. There's no way you can't leave the island relaxed after staying here.
To get here you need to get the ferry or a long tail, there is no pier here!
The resort have their own longtail they use to transport you from the ferry to the beach.
Once on the beach we were welcomed and our ihg status was recognised, all great small touches.
We had booked a coral wing beachfront studio for 7 nights, we were driven to our studio where our bags had already arrived.
Be under no illusions, this is a holiday inn! The room is basic. After being very spoiled at the banyan tree in Bangkok this room was a shock to the system.
The room is showing some serious signs of wear, needs a good lick of paint and a major deep clean.
The indoor shower/toilet was awful, it needs stripping out and re-tiling. The sliding door was almost coming off.
Not to worry, I thought, we have the outside shower room.
How wrong was I?!
The outside shower area was splattered all over the place by bird poo! This wasn't recent it was caked into the walls! Clearly no one had bothered to check this or even attempt to clean it up in a very long while.
Not a great start, but then we opened our patio doors and were presented with a view of paradise! That said the patio was filthy and needed a good scrubbing down!
My partner and I both agreed if we were coming here on our honeymoon we would be very disappointed!
I can accept wear and tear but I don't accept shoddy cleaning standards no matter what price we pay for a room!
I started to read the folder containing the resort info and found that it had bed scribbled on every page with comments and some drawings!

Not wanting this to spoil our holiday I said it's just a blip, we can sort it out. I went to reception to explain all this and they said it would be cleaned again.
It wasn't! If they did come in I didn't notice. I even had to clean the bird poo myself off the walls after 2 days!
I left the resort folder still with its graffiti as no one changed it!

You might think I wouldn't return after all this, you'd be wrong!
Yes the room was dirty and falling apart, yes I had to clean bird s**t off the walls.
After 2 days on the beach I didn't care! It's just so tranquil, no one bothers you and you end up not being bothered!
It's a shame nothing was done after my initial complaint and then a second one at the members cocktail party at the sunset bar.

The guys in the resort restaurant were lovely and the food was good and fairly priced for the location.
Jasmines is a lovely place to eat. Just walk past the resort and you'll see the tables!
There's a shop by jasmines that sells cheap beer, go there to avoid the resort shop.
Don't book a treatment at the resort, these are expensive, walk down the beach and you will find a much cheaper and in my opinion a better massage, in a better setting.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean room with no bird poo There's a shop by jasmines that sells cheap beer, go ther...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ultreen
Dear ultreen,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience at our hotel.

It is with regret to learn that you found our room was not up to your expectation. Therefore, your comment has been passed on to the management to take appropriate action. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced.

I have shared your comments about cleanliness with our Housekeeping team in order to address all the issues mentioned and take the necessary actions to minimize re-occurrence.

I also appreciate your comment about the guys in the resort restaurant were lovely, such feedback ensures our team stay motivated in delivering high standards of service.

Guiyang, China
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The staff treat the Chinese people's attitude is not friendly, and even distinguished foreign guests treated. We do not spend money to watch other‘s bad face ,that made us very unhappy. Customer is God, we do not get the same high quality of service as we paid.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank li x
Dear Li x,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience at our hotel.

I was sorry to hear that you received different treatments and services compare to those foreign guests. You will be pleased to know, you or others guests very important person with us.

I have shared your comments with the relevant managers and that actions will be taken to minimize re-occurrence.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 13 June 2014

It's quite a journey to get to the resort but it's definitely worth it. A real paradise and very authentic island experience unlike Phuket. The waters of the sea are so clean and aquamarine that you can't stop looking at it. You can have a beach walk and enjoy the serenity. We were so tired after staying a week at Patong, that we were excited about our stay on Phi Phi Don for 3 nights. I guess if you stay more it can get boring.

Check-in is very nice and courteous. Resort area is well maintained, but bungalows are quite tired and not very clean. It's stuffy in the room so you gotta keep your AC on all the time. A lot of ants in the room. As much as we were excited about the azure sea in the morning, it was a great disappointment to see low tide in the afternoon. No water and coral reefs only. So make sure to swim between 11 and 3.

There are 3 restaurants at this property but very limited choice of food, I guess it's because all food items are delivered. Unfortunately I had an unpleasant story with one of the restaurants on the last day of stay. When we ordered food, we asked the waitress many times to ask kitchen not to add any onion or garlic as my stomach gets easily upset by these. She said she understood and brought the food later, with onion and garlic and then she disappeared. Never to return, only for check closing. It was quite easy to take out the onion bits but the food still had a residue. My Caesar salad had some strange thick pink sauce and tasted a bit of garlic. I could not take it out from salad. As I was in my first weeks of pregnancy and was starving I had some salad, didn't finish it cause it tasted strange. Later that night I was feeling so bad, I had acute stomach ache that I had to call the nurse. The nurse left some pills and was charging me 900 Bht. She assured me the pills were ok. I googled and later checked with my doc and it turned out to be antibiotics which was extremely harmful for pregnant, especially in the first 3 months. Thanks God I didn't take the pills. I work in a hotel and whenever we make a mistake, we try to recover it. We send the nurse immediately without asking to come down, we do not charge for that, and we call and ask later if everything is ok. Especially if it was caused by the hotel restaurant. None of this in this hotel.

I was very disappointed by staff. I understand there is a language barrier but if you do not understand please say so. We tried explaining many times to make sure communication is smooth.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Salleisha
Dear Salleisha,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience at our hotel.

With regards to your comment about the room, I am glad to share with you that our rooms are currently undergoing soft renovations and new decorations will be done thru 2014.

I have shared the comments about the cleanliness of the room and the ants in room with our Housekeeping team to re check it, to ensure other guests are not inconvenienced by it.

Regarding to your comments about the food, our Executive Chef is currently working on improving our menu offer and service at the restaurant.

I was sorry to hear that you have had problems with the service in the restaurant and the nurse, I have asked our Food and Beverage and the nurse team in order to address all the issues mentioned and take the necessary actions to minimize re-occurrence.

We thank you once again for sharing your experience with us.Should you decide to return to our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I shall take care personally of your requirements.
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I am leaving Phi Phi tomorrow and following are my comments about my experience at this "resort":
- Arrive to my room and there were a dirty plate outside it.
- The shower is small
- The curtain of the shower smell really bad. They had to change it after I complained about it.
- Sauna not working
- Employee courtesy not following Thai standards
- Food is ok. However, there is a restaurant next to the hotel that serves the same food, half the price.
- Some hotel tours are expensive. You could walk a couple of meters and the locals will give you a cheaper price for the same service.
- Same Menu in all the hotel restaurants.
- Breakfast is expensive for thai standards.
- Hotel holds an employee party till late with loud electronic music (thursday). I had to complain 3 times about it. When asked for the manager I was told that the duty manager woks till 10 pm. No manager after that!!!

Pros:
- Clean premises
- Good transfer service
- Great beach
- You may find great services (tours, restaurants, mini market) and cheaper just a couple of meters from the hotel.

I would not advise this hotel for a honeymoon trip.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Juan David D
Dear Juan David D,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your experience at our hotel.

I am very grateful for the feedback provided as this gives us the opportunity of improving our services.

I have conveyed your feedback with our management team in order to find ways to improve our current service levels.

I also appreciate your positive comment about cleanliness and transfer service, such feedback ensures our team stay motivated in delivering high standards of service.

I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to our resort.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for 5 nights at the beginning of June. To get the the hotel we went on a ferry from phuket to the Holiday Inn resort where we were greeted by long tail boats to take us to the resort ( a great way to reach the resort however not very well organised on the ferry as we had to wait around 20 mins till our holiday inn tail boat collected us). On arrival we were given a welcome drink and a cold face towel to help us freshen up, this was definitely needed!

We only had to wait 10 minutes for our room to be ready as we arrived early. When we went to our room (sea view coral studio) it seemed slightly worn and not cleaned properly. Upon further inspection the air con did not work properly and someone had left a plate of half eaten fruit outside our door attracting ants. I called reception to complain and they immediately offered us a new room which was great customer service, When we went to our new room three doors down it was a lot better with an even better view. Our balcony steps led straight onto the beach (i think we were upgraded to a beach front coral studio).

The resort overall was clean. well maintained and the staff did look after us especially a man called Diamond. The infinity pool was very nice and the beach was magnificent, One issue i did have was that it was difficult to order food by the infinity pool as the staff were not always around it especially at lunch which was annoying.

In the evening we had to eat at the hotel restaurant as not many place near by. The food was good and we even tried a couple of their buffets (asian and thai) which were surprisingly tasty and good quality. However, we did start to get bored of the food towards the end of our stay and not everything was available on the A la Carte menu as they were out of ingredients due to their market boat coming once a week.

The entertainment in the evening was more suited to older couples and was the same every night as it was a man and woman singing songs mainly oldish songs.
Mosquito's were a big issue for us whilst we were there especially in the evening as when we woke up the next morning we would have been bitten throughout the night and would of found new bites which was not pleasant. Maybe the resort can make sure that they spray rooms every night with mosquito spray to help prevent this occurring.

Overall we did enjoy our stay, it was very relaxing and we were looked after. If you are looking for a relaxing few days in Phi Phi with your partner then this is the place to go but if your looking for entertainment on a evening and restaurants nearby maybe this is not the place for you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bigfresser2014
Nithas S, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Phi Phi Island, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear bigfresser2014,

Thank you very much for taking the time to sharing your experience about your stay and for the positive comments made about our hotel like room, food and beverage and service of staffs,
especially Khun Diamond. he will be delighted to know his efforts and personality have been recognized.

Regards to your comment about organizing the longtail boat pick up from the ferry to the hotel, I'm glad to share with you that Leamtong beach have four resorts and all the guest of each resort need to take longtail boat from the ferry and also one longtail boat can carry the passenger for 8 person.

I have shared your comments about the room, air-con, empty plate out door and service at the Infinity pool with our Housekeeping, Engineering, Food and Beverage team to ensure that we provide a more attentive service.

I'm also glad to share with you that our hotel conducts bi weekly pest control visits and sprays against mosquitoes each time.