“Stays a perfect dream even third time there”

Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Landau in der Pfalz, Germany
“Stays a perfect dream even third time there”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Third time there last five years but first time after the resort has been taken over from Outrigger group, it still remains a relaxing paradise and glad to meet many of the old staff we knew from past, who gave us the feeling of being part of a family another time with their friendly behaviour. Pricing is surely a bit above thai averages but absolutely more than reasonable for what you get for. Excellent food presented in different events over the week, crystal clear water, cleanliness in the resort are some of the highlights why we come back frequently. Special thanks to the new customer service manager Mr. Nasser with whom we had some nice hours during swim-up poolbar discussions where he managed to bring nationalities together with his international attitude. Check-in and transfert service are provided perfectly in order to keep guests away from any admin issues until last minute. Under the management of General Manager Mr. Chao the resort kept his exceptional atmosphere and we look forward to come back soon.
Angelika & Mario from Germany

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (571)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 November 2013

A great place. We had a villa with a private pool, which was nice, but I sort of wish we would have had two cottages by the beach. The villa was beautiful, but it's a pain to get a ride up (or walk up the hill) each time you want to run back to your room. I'd rather stay closer to the beach/pool. Plus, the first night we stayed there, there were ants in my daughter's bed. So, the second night, we pulled back the covers to make sure there were no ants. To our horror, there was a scorpion in the middle of her bed! No kidding. Turns out, without the ants, we may never have found the scorpion, so… good thing for the ants. From that moment on though, we were terrified of what else we would find. But, the place is beautiful, and it is on a jungle island. It's expensive, so, if you're looking for a cheap vacation, I'd suggest someplace else. The little village behind the premises was great - went there every day - drinks, massages, dinners - it was fun to be able to walk there. Also can hike across the island, which was fun but kind of challenging. You MUST rent a long boat and go island hopping/snorkeling. It was the highlight of the trip. Big caution: Our flight left at 9:30am from Phuket. We didn't know that would be a problem when we booked the trip. It was our only day to get out, and only time available to go back to Singapore. We ended up paying a private boat $400 US dollars to take us off the island. That was not cool, and I felt like that should be made clearer when making reservations. But, that's on me I suppose. Anyway, the hotel is great, restaurants were good, grounds beautiful, and staff very nice. Loved it.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Outrigger is really as amazing as the reviews claim it is. Wonderful, spacious bungalows on a gorgeous beach. The pool is amazing as well. Be careful though, when the tide goes out the beach disappears, so you need to hope you are there when the tide comes in during most of the day.

My favorite part was Phi Phi Village behind the hotel. Don't spend your money at the hotel's restaurants except for special occasions. There are fun little bars and delicious restaurants with authentic Thai cooking. Not the typically outrageous Thailand nightlife of course, but the village keeps you from feeling so isolated in an otherwise isolated location. Book your tours there as well, significantly cheaper than through the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheButter
Mechelen, Belgium
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

Expensive but well organized transfer from airport to resort. Arrival at the resort is breathtaking! From the boat, the resort and its beach look like paradise! Upon arrival at the beach, the staff welcomes you with nice cocktail, refreshing towel and a big smile! Check in process is very smoothly and durig this proces we could already enjoy a small delicious thai apatizer.
Overall, the staff is very friendly and helpfull. The bungalow is nice but the bathroom could use some updating. The enviroment is quite and you have a good level of privacy in your bungalow.
We only had dinner in the main restaurant (marlin). The food was very nice! However food and drinks in the resort are rather expensive. Certainly if you compare these prices with the avarege thai food prices.
Accomodation at the swimming pool and beach are perfect.
The beach itself is beautiful before 4pm. Afterwards, the water drawls back and the beach becomes less attractive. In general, the water level is low.
We booked a speedboat trip around phi phi ley and phi phi don (island exploring). The trip was nice and well organised, the guide and staff on the boat were very friendly. Although, the price for trips booked in the hotel are very expensive!! We saw te same trip for 6 times less the price (400 bath instead of 2400 bath).
Overall, it was an amazing stay at outrigger. Although, it is possible to choose for less expensive hotels in the very touristic and crowded center of phi phi don. We think it's worth the price if you search for an quit and relaxing, exotic resort located far enough from the (toog) touristic center.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights. The beach and grounds are beautiful. Real. tropical island feel with the turquoise water and coconut trees. Pool is great, nice and big. Like other reviews say, it's quite isolated which we liked. Food isn't great considering the price and the restaurant staff don't look very happy. The room is fine, a bit rustic, (don't expect luxury). Overall, the location and surrounding scenery make this place, with a few tweaks, it could be perfect.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I was keen for a few nights on Koh Phi Phi Don to end a three week Thailand trip, but didn't want too much noise and partying, so chose to stay away from Tonsai and chose the Outrigger Resort.

I had trouble booking on the official website, so booked through agoda. That still caused a problem as the website assumed I was two people, I was in fact travelling on my own. Through the stay the hotel kept expecting two people, although I had sent an email to say I was on my own.

I can't suggest strongly enough to book your transfer in and out through the hotel which makes life a lot easier. I was staying in Phuket and organised a transfer with the hotel. Outrigger faxed my phuket hotel with my transfer details, picked me up at the hotel, transferred me to a private catamaran for a direct transfer to the resort, avoiding tonsai bay. This was a great start to the trip, and the care and attention provided by the transfer staff was 5 star.

Check in at the resort is probably different to many hotels as a large number of people arrive at a time with ferry transport only. All the arrivals on my boat were offered a seat in a reception area where we were provided a cool towel and welcome cocktail (which was very tasty). We were then approached by staff to collect our documents, and they then returned with our room details, keys etc, and then personally escorted to our villa.

The resort covers a vast area, it may take a little time to find your way around, or to move from room to pool or room to restaurant. There were golf carts running people around, but I chose to walk. I had a basic garden villa, which was more towards the back of the resort, so I got plenty of exercise!

The villa was quite spacious. I was welcomed to my room however by a number of mosquitos, who had probably made their way in while housekeeping were preparing the room. I was a bit worried as I was still waiting for my luggage at this point so did not have access to my mosquito repellant, however I did find some insect spray in the wardrobe so soon dispatched the mosquitos. The aircon was already on so the room was cool. The villa featured a room with the large bed, cabinet holding the mini bar and tv, armchair and small table, and another cabinet holding more minibar items plus kettle, tea coffee etc. A back area had toilet and shower separated by curtain only, handbasin, wardrobe and writing desk, safe etc. There is a deck at the front with two reclining lounge /sun chairs, a rack to hang items to dry off, and a collection of umbrellas. Overall the villa was nice, although didn't have a real wow factor for me. I also prefer to have proper doors between toilet/shower and living areas.

The pool is massive, and has a shallow area for children, a spa, infinity edge overlooking the beach area, and nice swim up bar. I had to wear my hat in the pool, as the only shade was under a bridge that crosses over the pool. There was also free scuba try outs in the pool each afternoon.

The recreation centre is a long walk away at the northern end of the beach, and where you go to book tours, transport to tonsai, and scuba lessons.

If you follow the road between the recreation centre and coconut grill you will come to a lovely small village , a tsunami memorial, and a bridge that crosses the small creek that leads to a track that heads to the north of the island. The small village is lovely with bars, restaurants, markets, tour operators and massage shops. It had a relaxed, reggae vibe and I enjoyed hanging out here each evening, grabbing drinks and nibbles at the shops before heading back to my villa. The food at the resort restaurants was also very good, and the buffet breakfast had a fair selection of western and asian choices.

The bay itself is quite shallow, which is probably good for people new to swimming or snorkeling. Be aware that the tide does go out quite a long way though, so you will not be able to swim at all times. I love snorkeling but I found myself to be quite a way out in order to find the reef area where there were many fish and sea urchins. I guess i was 300 metres out from the beach. I had longtail boats operating between myself and the beach, so make sure you are visible in the water. I organised a snorkelling trip with one of the tour operators in the village behind the resort, and had an excellent half day snorkelling.

I organised my departure through reception, i needed to get to Krabi Airport, and the hotel organised the long tail to tonsai pier, ferry to Krabi then car transfer to the airport. This was as great as the service on arrival, and made getting to my flight very relaxing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Marc B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The resort just absolutely beautiful!!! My first arrived in Phi Phi Island, so call Tonsai Bay...it's not too difficult to find the satff who worn Outrigger T-shirt, they not shown my name but they can find my name very easliy on thier paper with THB 200 per person the small long boat brought me to the resort......Wow!!! how hiden beautiful place among the coconut trees....first welcome cold towel and the smilling face of the staff name " Lek" with great welcoming you at the resort made me fell so important. They brought me and my partner to the huge lobby with fresh welcome drink coconut tatse....you should not miss this!!!! so nice!!! My room was nice the location in the garden name Kasalong, I asked the staff they told me that is the thai flower's name which you can find around the resort.. Restaurant: I had my dinner at Coconut Grill was very nice, the price considered reasonable for the island price and I also try the food behind the resort as there is the small village but I don't like it if compared to my travelling I wonder if the hygine is not up to standard it cause me ill so I just try only small finger food. The price is not much diffirent with the hotel price. On my last day, the check out staff were very fast and give me the last great impression by Lek, she really sent me out with her smile.... My partner and I!! sure will be back there again as we already miss that place!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple