“I wish I had booked more nights at this resort”

Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 15 June 2014

How can I start? This place is like paradise on earth. The resort is very well located in Phi Phi don, has its own private beach so the view is not polluted by thousands of boats and people. The resort is just beautiful, with plenty of blossoming plumeria trees and the staff really works hard to perfect everything and every single detail had a unique touch of Thailand. I stayed in a superior bungalow, very cosy, clean and private, but unfortunately I only booked for one night!! I wish I had known this place was so beautiful and great and I would have pleasantly stayed for a week or a month.

However I need to say that one of the best features of this resort is the little village in the back where one can find nice and cheap food and also book diving, snorkelling and sightseeing trips around Phi Phi islands – all this significantly cheaper and better than found in the resort. I rented snorkelling equipment from the resort and the quality was very poor.

The only down side I found about this resort is that some members of staff, especially in the leisure centre were not very friendly and the majority could barely understand English.

Also, be aware that the only way to get to the resort when you arrive in Phi Phi don is by taking a boat. Can choose to pay 800-1000 baht for a long tail and be at the resort in 20minutes or just wait for the hotel boat for 200 baht. The hotel boat only operates 2x day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, better contact the hotel prior to arrival to check times - I forgot to do that and had to go by long tail boat - thus expensive but yet very pleasant trip!

So just be aware of the coconuts and the palm leafs falling from the trees and you will have the most amazing time here !!

Room Tip: I chose superior bungalow, not the closest to the beach but very quiet and really private.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Filipa A
There are newer reviews for Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

While Phi Phi Island gets a bit of the stigma for being overly flooded by tourists, which is completely justified, the Outrigger on Phi Phi is truly the best way to experience this island paradise.

The private bay makes the place isolated from the flood of people on the main port of the island. The resort has amazing service, amenities, food and drinks. We stayed in a private bungalow that was straight out of what one might imagine in their dreams for island living. While I could go on and on about the details of the resort it's self, I want to hit a few of the highlights.

Snorkeling, Hiking, Thai local restaurants and bars:

We just rented the gear from the resort and snorkeled the reef the front of the bay. Fun times and only minutes from the comfort and convenience of the pool side bar.

Be sure to explore behind the resort where you will find shops, markets, restaurants and bars run by local islanders. From there you can hike across to the other bays, view point and north to the cape.

The resort is a great place to spend three nights or more if you are using this spot as a home base for your tourism travels. Just know that you must take a longboat to and from the main port area of the island to travel to the resort.

We found that 90% of all the people at the resort during our stay we're couples so it is not an ideal spot for traveling singles.

Either way this is a try five star experience and worth putting Phi Phi Island on the list of travel stops.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Doug F
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as stop 3 out of 4 on our Thailand honeymoon. Our previous 2 stops (and reviews) were both 5 star (Centara, Bangkok & Indigo Pearl, Phuket) and Outrigger was due to be a 7 night stop on our honeymoon.

On arrival, it was breathtaking - an amazing setting on a beautiful island. Check in was slow but not a major issue and we were quickly advised that we had been upgraded for our honeymoon however this moved us from the third row of bungalows to the eighth meaning we were a considerable distance away however still a lovely setting.

We had issues with the aircon which the hotel refused to acknowledge despite us telling them about it.

From our brochures, the hotel had a beautiful Thai restaurant high up in the hills however on arrival we were advised that this was closed for several months along with the Dolphin restaurant. Luckily, we discovered the village behind the hotel which was FANTASTIC! We regularly ate Oasis where the food was gorgeous and unbelievably cheap and we also had good meals at several others. We would HIGHLY recommend Mr Chet's tour from 'Knock out bar' in the village - it was the highlight of our stay.

Our biggest issue was that in the same week, the hotel decided to fully refurbish the building next to the lobby, erect a wooden structure next to the swimming pool, cut down Palm trees on the beach and refurb huts less than 20 metres from our own meaning that there was NOWHERE to go for any peace as all of them involved power tools. Whilst this probably seems minor, it's not what you want on your honeymoon.

When we raised the issues with reception, they dealt so badly with them that we paid £150 to move to our new hotel 24 hours early in Ao Nang where we are currently having an amazing time as it's everything Outrigger wasn't.

In brief, an AMAZING setting, a lovely village/villagers but an average hotel with poor staff.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mike E
chao-t, General Manager at Phi Phi Island Village Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Mike E

Thank you for taking time to write review on your recent houney here. We glad that you like the breathtaking and amazing setting on the island. We're sorry and apologise for we did not live up to your expectation. Your issued have beed bring uo for discussion and alert to all our host staff.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Check in and out are a bit of a joke, you just sit down and every now and again people will talk to you and eventually show you to your room.
However, the resort itself is pretty amazing. I only went for the weekend and it was just not enough time to see all the beautiful surrounds. Do yourself a favour and add an extra day to your itinerary here. Just be sure to get out of the resort too, snorkelling, butterfly fields and the village (Knock Out Bar!) are worth looking in to, to name a few we managed on our short trip.

Room Tip: The 3XX rooms are difficult to navigate and find, especially after a few buckets at the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank DanBaxstar
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My wife and I were here as part of our Honeymoon for a couple of nights. Overall the experience was positive, with some minor issues with service. We loved the hotel property and the grounds. The pool was impressive and beachside setting makes for a beautiful evening. Nothing really negative to say about the property -- just know that you will be about a 20 minute boat ride from the pier and nightlife.

One of the most awesome aspects of the location is the village behind the resort that the hotel tries to hide. They never mentioned it once and it was one of our coolest experiences when we happened to stumble upon it. Stop hiding the village Outrigger! This is one of the reasons why I would come back. The village has a great setting with really delicious restaurants and drinks. Don't miss it. The meals are so much more authentic here and only a fraction of the cost of restaurants at the hotel. Hmm...maybe that's why they don't mention it.

Now, to the service. It wasn't bad, but the check-in experience could use improvement. It's a little unorganized and you have to wait and wait and wait and wait to eventually get your keys to your room. Don't get me wrong, the lobby overlooking the ocean is a nice place to wait, and they give you a frosty coconut drink on arrival, but after traveling for a couple of hours, you don't want to spend another 30 minutes getting to your room. Perhaps the process could be streamlined.

Service is okay, it just doesn't seem that the front desk staff is very friendly. The bartender at the pool area was awesome, super friendly, and made the experience fun. Also, it seems like they shut down the pool area way too early. By 7pm, you're being kicked out and loungers get covered.

I would come back, but remember DONT HIDE THE VILLAGE -- it's awesome.

Cheers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jose n
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We only stayed here one night,but it is the most unforgettable day in my Phuket trips.The resort is large,quiet and beautiful.The rooms are all garden view villas decorated in Thai style.The staff is friendly and supply amazing services.So you wont regret to choose it.
The only inconvenience is that you should pay another 200b to get the resort at the tong sai bay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bluecloudie
Reviewed 8 June 2014

After spending 7 nights at the fantastic Avista Hideaway and Resort in Patong, I thought that arriving at Outrigger Phi Phi, would be of an equal quality, if not even a notch up. Avista has been open for just over a year, so would have expected that Outrigger, with its long history, to be brilliant. Unfortunately this was anything but the case.
A few issues to speak of... please note these are only a few.
1. night 1. I get back to my room after dinner to see several animal droppings on my bed and pillow. These were approx. 1cm long each. Someone finally comes to my room 30 mins later and insists it is a skink's droppings. I am Australian and in my country we have many different types of animals, lizards and skinks. There was no way this was a skink or lizard..as they try and cover themselves by putting a fun comment in the in-room directory/resort info book. They then asked if i wanted to change rooms for the night and that i would be moved back the next day! What the?? Imagine waking up in the morning with droppings on your head/body! Yuck!
They made me feel like a fool for complaining and that my request was somewhat unreasonable.
If this was any other 4/5 star hotel, staff would have been very obliging to assist and most probably received a room upgrade. Here, i didn't even get an apology, but was more made to feel dumb and that i was asking too much! When they finally moved me, it was to a room even further away from the beach. But after a while, got sick of complaining here!

Service - staff - have to agree with Danielle N's comments that the staff here are less focused on customer service and being friendly than any other hotel i have ever stayed with in Thailand. I have seen this sort of "poor working culture" in Egypt before and myself working in Customer service for the past 25 years, put it down to one thing. A fear factor set by management/owners of the property. The staff obviously don't like working here, but put up with it because of the higher service charge, and therefore salary they receive. Even with their usual happy and friendly greetings, you could see pain and unhappiness in their eyes and how they acted/spoke.

You also get treated like a number here and wasn't once called by my name, just a number.

Breakfast -
Very basic foods and although calling it a buffet, would rather go to McDonalds back home. One day i even missed this, although included in price, and went into town to eat.

Room service hours are very limited - only till midnight, yet nothing else is around! What if you are hungry between midnight and 6.30am. Well there are peanuts in the mini-bar! :(

Bars behind the restaurant and Cash Out -
there are absolutely NO cash-out/ATM facilities available at this resort! something which is not mentioned anywhere on web-sites etc, so ended up needing to borrow some funds from another traveller to be able to head into town and go to the ATM.
When you are here, they want you to spend everything at the resort, yet don't offer the facilities to support this.

Their are about 40 awesome little local bars really close to the coconut bar and grill...literally 100-200 metres down the track right between this restaurant and where you have breakfast! however the staff have been told NOT to tell anyone about these places, as they expect everyone to eat/drink at their establishments. Even though one out of the three is closed for the next 5 months!
The people in Thailand can be amazing, and one of the best little bars is one of the ones you come across - check out their facebook page.. www.facebook.com/ThebeachPP. This place is awesome, but these bars only take cash, so once again, unless you have already a bit of cash on you, you cannot find anymore.
I have stayed at hotels around the world without access to ATM's/cash-out, but these will always offer a service to assist. e.g - give you cash out at reception and place on your bill. Easy!

Pool/Venue -
when you arrive at this resort you are blown away by the position of the hotel and the pool is amazing.. But once again service was a 1/10. Not once did any staff walk around the pool and ask if we would like any food or drinks. Finished plates/meals etc. were left on tables etc for the entire day, instead of being picked up soon after finishing. This also attracts a problem.. birds! At one point staff were laughing at me because i was trying to eat my meal in peace and having to shoo away birds. Thanks for the assistance team!

I chose to stay here due to ratings on phuket.com and other websites, but have come to the conclusion that most people that give this hotel a good wrap, may have never actually seen a proper 5 star hotel. Avista Hideaway resort and spa in Patong is a great example of how it should be done. Pure luxury and staff that will do anything to accomodate..Nothing was too much trouble!

At outrigger Phi Phi EVERYTHING was too much trouble!!!

There are lots of other hotel options on the island, including a few that you see when you cruise from the port to the hotel1

I will be definitely be coming to Phi Phi again, but will definitely NOT stay at Outrigger!

You need to wake up Outrigger and look at the pathetic service offering you have at this hotel.
I would also consider the need to downgrade this hotel to 4 star at best.. Definitely not a 5 star resort!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Mark C

Dear Mark C

Thank you for staying with us and share your experience. I apologise for those elements that you felt not meet your expectation; the service staff, breakfast, room service hour, cash out. Your feedback have been addressed to our management about the issued for further improvement. Thank you again for your value review.