“Poor place with very unhelpful staff !!”
Review of Bay View Resort

Bay View Resort
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I regularly use Tripadvisor and also leave lots of positive reviews myself, which is why i am feeling quite unhappy at leaving a negative review, however I feel strongly that this is needed to make sure others are aware before they book. i agree with another review I read and which i had looked into it a bit more, as i would not have gone! the location is very very steep and although we were partly aware of this, when you get there it is a lot steeper than you think. If you are unfit, have a disability or find it hard to walk upstairs or slopes...DO NOT GO! When we arrive there, you are taken by water taxi to the beachfront of the hotel, you then have to get off IN THE WATER and hop onto the beach, therefore you need to be aware to wear shorts and sandals that you don't mind getting wet! do not wear trousers, skirts or smart shoes or socks and trainers as you will get them soaked, you then have to walk bp the beach a few metres to the reception, by which time your feet and shoes etc are covered in wet sand. The reception staff initially were ok, not really friendly but ok....until you ask a question or need help...then forget it, they are then unhelpful and can come across as rude. The pool is not near the beach or a flat area and does not have any views at all. you need to walk but a steep slope to get to it by which time you are very unimpressed. There are two very little beaches to choose from, and they look good but not good for swimming as they are on a sand bar and therefore the water only comes unto your calves unless you walk out a VERY long way and then you are met by an onslaught of long tail boats that are everywhere. The main beach is ok but so bust with boats that the tender ropes are all over the sand making it very tricky to walk at night, as this in part, is the only way to get to the restaurants and bars of the island. You have to walk across part of the beach for a way, so again be aware of what you are happy to get in the sand. The rooms were ok and had a lovely balcony with sun beds and our room had a fab view and that was its only saving grace as the bathroom was terribly basic with one sick, one push button tap with cold water and a shower that was very weak and only has hot water coming out of it if you put the air con unit on for at least 15 mins before you require a shower. Basic is an understatement and we had a deluxe villa!!. I would have to say that I personally would not and cannot recommend Bayview Resort to anyone who wants helpful or friendly staff or a good experience, as unfortunately you won't get it. a real let down, to the point that we left a day early and the parting words of the staff were that we had missed their taxi boat for the afternoon so sort one out yourselves...AND WE DID!

Room Tip: ask for a lower room unless you are fit!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bethevs1

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here in 2012 whilst on a Contiki. Im not sure if anything has changed since staying here. But I liked it, in some ways, it was peaceful with the rooms perched up on the side of a hill - quite a long walk from the center of phi phi. The buffet breakfast seemed OK. The staff always had a smile on their face. But there were also a few things I found inconvenient with this hotel though.
1. The hike up the hill which was both stairs and steep pathways to the rooms is quite intense (and I considered myself pretty fit).
2. When I stayed we had to walk down the beach and "walk a plank" to get across to the hotel once late at night the high tide was coming in which was a bit dodgy after a night of drinking. (They did have staff members supervising the "plank" though" but waves were sweeping up and over it at times).
3. The room we had smelt quite musty and seemed a little run down. The bathroom was very old school and I didn't like the shower much I think the warm water wasn't very good either.
Im not sure how expensive this hotel is... But if you are looking for a cheap place that is out of the way this would definitely do the job.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and we loved it if we ignored the fact that the staff are useless. They were pleasant on check in but didn't speak much. The man who carried our bags up the huge hill didn't look at all pleased and was angry with us but we never asked him to?! We kept saying here let us help you carry them but he just grunted. Anyway we aren't the type of people to let staff ruin it for us.

The bungalow was very clean, good air con and giant fan, bathroom well set out i.e shower not over the toilet unlike most hotels in Thailand! Everything was perfect for us. The cleaner even put flowers on our bed one day which was very sweet. Goes to show that it's only a minority of the staff who are rude.

The beach is perfect. So sandy and clean and sun loungers are provided.

If you need to book any boat tours or day trips do not do it through the hotel as the man was very rude to us, again just grunting and not helping us out. He also tried to charge thb 150 more for a boat trip than what we had been quoted in town. There are plenty of tourist centres along the main walkway into phi phi that are much cheaper.

If you do not like walking I suggest you ask for a bungalow close to reception as ours was right at the very top and we had to walk up a very steep hill every day. It didn't bother us though because we looked at it as our exercise for the holiday!!

After saying the staff were rude I was proved wrong at the end of our trip. The manager is very helpful. When we got to our next destination I realised id left my iPod in our room! I emailed the hotel and they took a few days to reply but said they had found my iPod! The manager posted it back to England free of charge for me and I am so grateful! I was devastated because it means a lot to me and thought I would never get it back but thank you to the kind manager it arrived home before me! Took about 2 weeks.

Overall I would happily stay here again and again. It is far enough away from the nightlife for you to sleep in peace but close enough to walk there and back.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

The negatives - pretty run down conditions all round. Beach in front is rocky and water is not clear with all the boats around it's no surprise. Had the hilltop new rooms which was ok but be warned about the hike up the hill as it can be quit a challenge even for a for guy like myself. Rooms had poor sound proofing and I must have heard every activity of my neighbour in the early hours if the morning! Only consolation was the view was pretty good. Food is pricey and you can easily get cheaper food about 5-10 mins walk away. I will never come back is the conclusion!

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Paddy1971
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the lower down rooms that over looked the water (room 8B) and it was fantastic.
Brilliant views and far easier than taking your bag way up the back of the resort. We stayed for 3 days and for the first night we were up the back and it was quite a hike to get to the room. For the next 2 nights we stayed down the front and it was better.
The restaurant joining the bayview was also very tasty and reasonable.
It is nice and quiet and it's away from all the commotion of the island but close enough to walk to it aswell. I would give the whole stay a B+

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank cajeire
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in Oct'13. The resort is beautiful and totally worth the money.
The resort is located at the end of the beach and is a 20 min walk from the bay and is much quieter and private. This is good for those looking to stay away from the crowd. But, if you are looking for nightlife, then this might not be the right choice. The view from the resort is amazing and there is a section of beach beyond the resort which would almost be private.
The cottages are located up a steep hill and you need to hike for a good 10-15 min to get there depending on how far your room is. They are spacious,private, with clean bathrooms. (Carry insect repellant as there are lots of bushes around the room).
The food was alright. The breakfast was good. Since, we are vegetarians we did not have much choices but the restaurant staff and the chef were very cooperative and did their best to serve us different dish each time. The dishes were tasty too.
Unlike mentioned in other reviews, we had no major issues with the staff and the service. We were promptly picked up by a long tail boat at the arrival. We had a issue with the hot water once during our stay which was fixed after multiple attempts.
The dinner tables are set on the beach which is lovely. They organized a fire show on one of the nights which was entertaining.
Overall, we really liked this resort and feel it is value for money.

Room Tip: Choose rooms closer to the reception(slightly costlier) if you dont want to climb too much. These ha...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

For the price we payed, the hotel was ideal. You only need a day or 2 on the island though-it lacks in culture and is over run. Go to Koh Samui if you want clean beaches, culture, and hospitality and go to Phi Phi just because. There are 2 sides to Phi Phi as far as the major tourist areas go - we stayed on the quieter and much cleaner side and chose to walk 10-15 minutes to see the party side with must-see fire shows and LOUD music at night. The party side is where the youth hostels are located and being a couple in our late 30's, we prefer things a bit calm. Bayview is the only resort with a beachfront not taken up by longtails on the island unless you stay at one of the isolated resorts and have to travel to and fro by boat. The cottages are large, clean an bright with nice size patios and we had a perfect view of the ocean (not all do). The restaurant is average Thai and euro fair with prices to match - we found it is cheaper and better to eat elsewhere. Cons: customer service is lacking to say the least, the beach has alot of plastic on it and they don't bother to clean it anywhere on the island (sadly our side is cleaner than the other), and you have to trek up a VERY steep and looong incline to reach most cottages. Do take a tour to the surrounding islands/areas and research around for the best prices - we payed a bit extra for a speedboat vs. a long tail and it is worth it. The open ocean can be treacherous and not only that but you can see more on a speedboat due to well, there speed:) The long tails do not go straight into Maya bay like the speedboats - the long tails enter from the other side, people plop into a deep/wavy cove and must swim then climb up ropes to a rickety wooden staircase. Long tails are good for rivers or short trips though:)

• Stayed: July 2014