“Bayview Resort - Nice views, thats about it!”
Review of Bay View Resort

Bay View Resort
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Australia
“Bayview Resort - Nice views, thats about it!”
Reviewed 27 November 2008

We stayed at Bayview Resort in Phi Phi island for 5 nights because everywhere else was so expensive. Lots of things I didnt like about Bayview was that the staff there weren't very nice at all. There was only one guy there that looked like he did want to be there. The girls were so rude and their English was very poor. They never smiled and didn't really care about guests.

Our room was quite nice until I found ANTS in our bathroom. That I coped with but then later in the day we had ants everywhere, top of the walls everywhere, on the bench, bathroom and then when they were crawling on our bed, I cracked! I went down to reception and told them that I wasn't happy with all the ants in our room - they didn't seem to care! They said to us that all the rooms are the same - I thought "just wonderful"! they said that we could move rooms but to a much higher room up the hill and I was really angry by this stage! I am not the fittest person and climbing up and down the hill everyday in the heat was a hike for me! I told them that I wanted someone to come and spray the room. We had dinner and returned to our room and they seemed to clean it up but it didn't smell like they sprayed the room at all. I still think they didn't do anything about it. After this we never ended up moving, the ant problem did improve but they didn't completely disappear.

The pool at the resort was ok, really quite old and shabby but it cooled us down!

The breakfast was quite good and we had some good meals in the restaurant at night. We weren't impressed with the room service food.

The views from the resort were beautiful, probably the best thing about the place!

I didn't sleep too well here because you could here the loud music at night from the nearby bars/nightclubs.

We liked Phi Phi Island, it was beautiful but also found it had a real problem with rubbish, rubbish just about everywhere, most beaches were filthy but we did find some beaches were clean. Also if you are a light sleeper like me then a lot of the resorts are very close to the bars/restaurants that play very loud music at night and I wasn't too happy. Bayview is at one end of the beach but you could still here the music at night!

I personally think that you would have to choose your accommodation carefully on Phi Phi, a fair few resorts (not all) are amongst a lot of slum areas and not in the ideal parts! If I was to go back to Phi Phi I personally would choose the Cabana resort as it is a nice big resort located in the middle of both sides of the island and I think its a bit away from loud bars (I think, not 100% sure) and it had fantastic pool but I cannot comment on the rooms, I would say they would be nice but we assume it would cost a lot of money. We chose Bayview only because of the price - Phi Phi is very expensive place to stay!

So I wouldn't recommend Bayview resort at all especially for the elderly because I saw a lot of elderly people walk up and down the hill and they didn't seem happy and I don't blame it, its a hike! The staff were terrible - I think they were the most unhelpful, unhappy hotel staff I have dealt with ever!

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Ants in room, Staff were horrible to deal with, Rooms on a pretty steep hill
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Aberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed 23 September 2008

The room was large and we had a wonderful view of the bay from our room. The aircon worked well and the room was pretty clean. It is a 15 minute walk from the centre of town which wasn't a problem as you're also away from the noise of the bars. The bed was large and comfortable. It's 3* so was perfectly adequate for the two nights we stayed. If staying longer on Phi Phi I'd want to stay somewhere a bit nicer with a pool (there were signs to a pool - but couldn't find it). I think this resort is undergoing refurb - as with many on Phi Phi. We had to walk to the resort from the ferry as it was low tide so no long-tail service available. But the staff pushed our luggage in carts so wasn't a problem and they took our luggage back to the ferry in a long-tail for us and we walked into town. All in all - it was fine and the view was worth it!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — That it is in need of refurbishment
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Larry17633
Reviewed 28 August 2008

Great hotel. Is part of the Andaman Resort now, so don't be confused if you can't find Bay View, only Andaman.

The two resorts accomodation both sit on the hill side looking out to sea, the Bay View villas are the ones you come to first, with the Andaman Resort ones a little further around. They are all almost exactly the same standard and type of accomodation.

We had a Sea View villa which was lovely. Previous reports we had read said there were a lot of insects etc but we saw none of this. We had a lizard in the room which i think took care of anything that dare enter.

The resorts reception was great, met us from the ferry, off the pontoon, in there own longtail boat and transfered us the short trip around the the beach infront of th hotel where we were greated by staff offereing free orange juice. A very nice touch.

You could get a long tail boat from the beach by the hotel anywhere. To the town would take 5 mins or you could walk the short walk through stalls and sea front, aprox 10mins if you wanted to. The restaurant at the hotel was lovely, could sit out on the beach and watch the sun go down. Very beautiful.

If you're looking for a great hotel with stunning view and facilities where you could easily stay at and be away from the town, or want somewhere thats just a short walk to the town this Hotle ticks both boxes. I think anyone would be very happy on arriving to this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Larry17633
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 16 August 2008

After looking at lots of reviews on Trip Advisor we decided on the Bayview.
You have to get a ferry from Phuket to Phi Phi which has a lot of day trippers on and you get to see a lot of sites on the way. Once you arrive at Phi Phi you and your luggage get on a long tail boat to the hotel.
Check-in was easy and we went straight to our room. Beautiful setting but all of the rooms were on the hill side so you either have to use the steps or slopes. you have beach towels which you sign out. The hot water in the room was tempermental but you'll be pleased of a cold shower. We had a few resident ghekos in the room. When they clean the rooms, the rubbish and dirty laundrey is left outside all the rooms until the pick-up truck gets it, which isn't pleasent.
We managed to have 4 massages in 5 nights and they were fantastic.
The breakfast was buffet style and was fine. But make sure you have mozzie spray on at all times.
The fish restuarant linked to the hotel was fantastic. Tom yang goong soup was great!
There are a few bars along the stretch of beach near to the hotel but there wasn't a noise problem. Even though the hotel is on the beach, the beach wasn't great but a 15 min walk brings you to Long Beach which was lovely.
We hired a speed boat for the afternoon with a captain which took just the four of us out. that was fantastic. We could snorkel when we wanted and he took us to "The Beach" which was fabulous. That was via the hotel.
All-in-all a great place to stay!

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — Ghekos
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2008

First of all, i have never been treated with so much desrespect by a hotel staff. When I checked in I asked the front desk person if my room had a view to the bay and he YELLED at me "You go and see yourself!". I was so tired that I didn't really mind, and the days went by.

After we left, on the way to the next destiny I opened my bag to get my sunglasses and, when I opened the case they were gone. I HAD BEEN ROBBED. I immediately started to check the rest of the luggage to see if there was anything else missing and, for my great disappoinment, my husband's WATCH was missing too and - this is the worst part - MY ENGAGEMENT RING AND MY WEDDING RING were also stolen!!! We couldn't do anything because we had left already. I even called but they said there is nothing they could do (of course).

It has been a terrible loss for me, so be careful. PP is a beautiful place. You have the choice, so go to a safe place where you can have some piece of mind. Always keep your luggage locked because once it's gone, nobody cares about your problem.

• Liked — I HATE THIS PLACE!!!
  • Disliked — I HATE THIS PLACE!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ricardo_V

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Perth
Reviewed 11 July 2008

On leaving Perth, I was a bit worried about staying at the Bay View resort on Phi Phi Island, due to all the negative reviews I'd read on this site! But I had nothing to worry about!!

Set RIGHT on the beach, Bay View was a beautiful resort to stay at. We stayed in a Superior Villa, was a spacious room, half on land, half built like a sort of beach shack on the hill, but it was beautiful! The views were amazing, and the water WASN"T so salty - as I had read it would be.

The only struggle was the walk up to our villa. It was a steep climb, and I'm not the fittest person. However I was loving the forced excersize, and it was a climb worth it for the views from our room :) However I woudlnt' reccomend this for older people, or people who have trouble walking, or climbing should I say, this steep climb!

But other than that, the resort was lovely, all the staff were freindly and the surroundings are amazing - It's like your camping in the jungle, we even saw a snake outside our window in a tree!

The food was delicious at the restaurant, and the seafood dinner on the beach front was fantastic!

Overall a fantastic hotel, one of the nicest I saw when walking around the Island, and definetly one of the best views on the Island :)

• Liked — the views and the villa itself
  • Disliked — the steep climb to the room
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
brisbane
Reviewed 4 June 2008

We had a group of 6 girls travel through Thailand & after reading the reviews on the resort I thought iI was in for disaster! But it wasnt actually that bad... Fair enough the toilets blocked and the showers didnt work one day but its on an island with fairly D-grade plumbing, its been hit by a tsnami and its cheap!

We arrived, got put on a long tail & dropped to the resort... a little thai man carried 4 heavy suitcases up a massive flight of stairs...(which was challenging somedays when we were hungover but its good excersise) There was lots bottles of water waiting outside the door on random days, the aircon was brilliant, the breakfast was pretty good, the sheets were clean, rooms were cleaned, the view was freaaaaaking amazing... I guess some people dont do their research on the place they are staying or are jsut really fussy! I didnt find the staff that bad... most cant speak that great english so you/they get confused sometimes...

I'd recommend bay view to young people who want a cheap stay... its about a 5 min walk to the cool bars/cafes (hippies bar is awesome) and about 10 min to the village...

I'd stay there again easily!

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends