I've lived in Asia for over 5 years and now am in Bangkok. If you see my other reviews, you'll get it.
I'm gonna be brief on this one.
1. Check your room type, they advertise 4 room types (with different rates) but actually merged two types. There are no rooms with 'private gardens for sunbathing' as their website describes. The GM admitted this was an error. But not after quite a long embarrassing discussion in the reception area. I felt this could have been better handled. To his credit we did end up with better rooms and we were satisfied with the outcome. However it could have been handled better.
2. Whilst we stayed the majority of the staff at the hotel were from the Philippines. I've been told (over dinner with the GM) that this was a cost benefit to the company (they don't receive tips, for example) and he intimated that he wasn't in favour of the policy. I felt this made it an uncomfortable stay for me, knowing one group weren't earning or having the same opportunity as another. I also felt it somewhat removed the 'Thainess' when you're not meeting any Thais on check-in or on the end of a call (plenty in the garden though). The GM told us that most people 'wouldn't notice anyway' which I thought was a little insincere and somewhat disingenuous.
3. The rooms are beautiful, no doubt. There's a lot of open space. I don't get bitten - but if you do, you'll be eaten alive. The children ended up looking like pizzas. So take your DEET.
4. The beach was messy and untidy. Didn't seem like the hotel took responsibility for the beach, so it's not as beautiful as other parts of the beach run by less famous hotels.
5. One of our children was sick, and to the credit of the hotel, they summoned a nurse immediately. This was impressive.
6. But genuinely, this hotel feels like it's gone a bit 'stir-crazy'. The GM seems so impassioned in doing things his way, but not always the right way and was somewhat irregular in his responses to our questions (they weren't complaints, he sat and had a bottle of wine with us).
It sincerely felt like it needs a root to tip rethink in approach, to guests, it's employees and the island it sits on. It's stunning, well designed, but just feels very isolated from the area. It's hard to describe, tell me I'm wrong, but I feel like something was missing. Possibly soul.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Destinology, Priceline, TravelUp, Travelbag, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Zeavola Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zeavola Hotel Ko Phi Phi Don
- Zeavola Hotel Krabi
- Zeavola Resort Krabi