“The most beautiful place on earth!!.....FACT!”
Review of Maya Bay

Half-Day Phi Phi Island Deluxe Tour from Phuket
US$80.06*
Krabi to Phi Phi Islands by Speedboat
More attraction details
Owner description: The world famous Maya Bay, location of the film “The Beach” starring Leonardo Dicaprio, located in Phi Phi Ley, with white sandy beach, surrounded by gigantic limestone cliffs and coral reefs.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“The most beautiful place on earth!!.....FACT!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

During our recent holiday to Thailand Maya Bay was absolute top of my list of things to see and do! For those of you that have been living under a rock Maya Bay was the iconic beach featured in the 1999 film "The Beach" starring Leonardo Di Caprio and from what I understand has pretty much been tourist central ever since.

I did my research before we left and we knew the beach can get VERY crowded at times, our tour guide said there's often 5 thousand + people visiting at once in the mornings which for a cute little bay would be overcrowede to say the least. Bearing this in mind we booked a day trip around various islands that arrived at Maya at a quieter time around 4.30-5 to see the sun go down (booked through Phuket Tours Direct by the way...highly recommend!)

The second we set foot on Maya Bay I felt like we had entered paradies - I have literally never seen a beach like it! The sand was so white, it felt like icing sugar under our feet, not even like real sand! I actually want to live there!!
When we visited around 100-200 people were probably there but the beach didn't feel crowded at all. Yes there are plenty of speed & long boats lined up but the beach is still breathtaking whichever way you look at it! We probably stayed for around and hour and a half -2 hours and i definitely wasnt ready to leave yet!

Look into "Stay Aboard Maya Bay" the only excursion where you can sleep at Maya Bay - Phi Phi Le doesn't have anybody living on it. Wish wish wish we'd done this but ended up not really having the money

BEST PLACE EVER!!!!

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“beautiful beach”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Maya Bay was the highlight of my Krabi trip. I really found it very beautiful. I can compare the fine powdery sand to Boracay Island and the limestone formations just framed the beach perfectly. There were just too many boats coming in but I guess this is inevitable with the tourism influx. The place was full of people that it was so hard to get a clear picture of the view. It's good though that they don't allow any establishments here. I hope there are tours where we can skip the island hopping and just stay there for a couple of hours.

Visited May 2014
Bath
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing, very lucky as there was no one there”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We was very lucky in a way as there was a earthquake the day before we went to maya bay (april 2012) , a lot of people got worried about another & if there would be a tsunami and cancelled but we didn't

It was amazing there was only a few people there, totally stunning

Visited June 2013
Sandton, South Africa
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Over commercialized and ruined.”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was so sad when I visited Maya Bay. It must have been so beautiful in the past but all the millions of people and boat traffic ruin it completely. The human race have really managed to take something so stunning and really mess it up. Avoid rather than being disappointed.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Iloveshoesalot
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Crowded Paradise”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was part of our Island hopping tour. I was really excited to see it. Once i set my foot on the island, I was ecstatic but not pleased at the same time. It was overly crowded, ruining the picturesque view of the sea. It would have been better if they control the number of tourists. The speed boats almost covered the shores. You can not even get the perfect photos because for sure, there will be a lot of people and boats in the background. If it was less crowded, this could have been one of the nicest beaches that i have been to.

Visited May 2014