“Not a happy stay”

Chong Khao Bungalow
Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I can only sum up our stay by saying we were very happy to get the hell away. I admit that decent budget accommodation is hard to find in Phi Phi Don, and this accommodation just reflects the general feel of Tonsai village - i.e. a bit of a dive - but we hated it here and for the next 4 months travelling SE Asia our motto when arriving at accommodation was "it can't be as bad as Chongkhao"! The bamboo huts are not just basic but very poorly maintained, with worryingly bad security (a padlock on a weak wooden doorframe?!), incredibly cramped rooms (why fill the room with a massive TV and chest to put it on when room to move or a proper bed would have been nicer?!), the bed is a mattress on the floor with an old mossy net (we used our own), and the bathroom, and its hard for me to relive these memories; situated at ground level, dirty, and full of life - we counted at least 4 roaches. The guy who ran it was okay if a bit weird. It was a short walk into "town", though not a very pleasant one, or to Dalam Bay in the other direction - neither places to write home about. My recommendation: certainly give Chongkhao a miss, and unless you can afford to stay in a fancy pants resort, just visit Phi Phi Leh from Phuket or Ko Lanta instead.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hannah261

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Had in advance booked 2 superior bgalows rooms for 6 nights middle of January 2014.
In one of the room there were no safety box although this was mentioned
on the equipment list. The fridge was out of order. Dirt on the wall in the
bath room. A lot of smashed misquitos on the wall. (At least they would not
bite). Toilet did not flush properly. We asked for an other room but such one
was first available the next day. Moving to the new room the next day we
found everything in a good state in this room but with some smashed mosquitos
on the wall in the bath room. They did not bother us. Linen and towels were
changed when you specific asked for it. If you wanted to have the floor swept
for sand you asked for a broom and it was given to you. Please bear in mind,
this is a low priced hotel and not Hilton. We came easy to an agreement with
the staff. The Wi-Fi is not working the most of the time and if, then very very
slow. Early in the morning you may be lucky.

The hotel (Bungalows) is situated 5 minutes walk to the Loh Dalam Bay (North
Beach) in the far western end of the beach. (The noisy beach is in the easter end).
We had been lucky enough to choose just this end of the Bay. Every morning
we enjoyed our breakfast on the beach overlooking the bay. Beautiful. Here you
can rent kayaks as well. You have the feeling that you have a private beach.
Even in the middle of the day only relatively few coming to this end of the beach.
Most people like to be in a crowd. Very load music is heard from the easter end
of the beach where you have Tonsai town. It would have been impossible to sleep
in this area.
If you are sitting on the veranda after sun down use a mosquito coil which you
can buy very cheap in the mart.

To walk to down town it will take you 10 to 15 minutes. In the night time you have
to walk a little careful not to stumple over obstacles like uneven path. Would
recommend to buy a small flash light in Tonsai. But it is safe for you to move around
in this area. No one will bother you. A few steps from the hotel you will find a well
equipped mart. And here you can deliver clothes for laundry. It will be returned next
day. You can get tours arranged as well from this place. Laundry and tour
arrangements can also be done from the reception of the hotel.

All in all we were satisfied to stay in the bungalow and especially in this area.

A very strange thing. On the Tripadvisors picture you will see Chong Khao as a two
storeys house with a nice swimmingpool just in front. This is NOT Chang Khao
Bungalows. And Tripadvisors also mentioning the address as 24. M.7. The correct
address is 231 M.7. If you want to see pictures as Chong Khao really looks like, then
look up on the home page from Agoda.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This review is for the basic non-airconditioned bungalow. As we stayed there during the "cold" season (January), the fan was sufficient to keep us cool at night. Everything was functional but very simple, e.g. there is no sink in the bathroom and the toilet needs to flushed using a bucket. There is only cold running water. That said, everything was clean and adequate for a few nights.
Plus Points:
Good location, close to a nice beach and far enough from the noisy beach bars
Basic but functional if all you need is a fan, a mattress and and a mosquito net
Minus Points:
Noisy construction site next door during the day only

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank w7fisch
Reviewed 15 January 2014

My sister, father and I stayed in Chong Kao Bungalows for 2 nights in January, and I can safely say that I will never, ever go back. On arrival the staff were very rude, and baggage staff refused to help with our bags unless they were paid.
The room my sister and I were staying in, 108, had a broken, leaking sink that near flooded the bathroom when we turned on the tap, a dirty and broken toilet, blood stained sheets, no hot water, no working Internet, a broken fridge and very mediocre air conditioning. I was hardly expecting luxury but it really isn't much to ask for a clean room with working facilities.
But all of this paled in comparison to what we discovered the day after we left Phi Phi island (due to being on a bus to Bangkok for 12 hours and not needing our wallets) - our bank cards had been stolen from the room (on the only occasion that we had left handbags in there for no more than half an hour, on the morning of check out, in a locked room) and all of our bank accounts had been hacked (they didn't have our pin numbers) and completely drained. Stuck in Thailand, with -£3.26 in my account.
After a bank investigation it transpired that the cards had been brought from Phi Phi to Chonburi, hundreds of miles away in the north of Thailand to be hacked, which clearly suggests to me some sort of sophisticated operation that is in progress to trap tourists, of which Chong Kao appears to be involved.
Trust me, never ever go there - and never be foolish enough to think that locking your belongings in your room will keep them safe, there was no regard for 'guests' at all during the stay.
Oh and final word? The swimming pool that is pictured at the resort on internet sites? Doesn't exist.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room, go somewhere else!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Holly F
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I have just stayed here for 3 nights. We booked it in early December after seeing some average reviews, and it was about the cheapest place we could find. The morning we were coming to Ko Phi Phi I looked at this place on Trip Advisor again and saw that since we booked it there had been a flurry of awful reviews. We were really anxious on what was about to await us... The terrible reviews below made me think I'd be sleeping in a delapated shack with no running water or air con and a filthy mess.

When we got there...It was absolutely fine! In fact it was pretty nice. It was a little bungalow as described, with a fairly spacious room that was clean and tidy, a flat screen TV (FOX Asia channel 17 for English shows), a HOT shower that was pleasant enough, and decent aircon. I really do not understand what the people below are fussing about. We paid £21 each a night to stay on an island which is effectively paradise. Yes it wasn't absolutely perfect, but it was cheap! And when you are on a beautiful little island with amazing weather and beaches a tons to do, you only need a bed for the night, which is what we got and I slept well every night. There was some building work going on nearby but they were only making noise between 10am and 6pm, and it wasn't loud enough to be a disturbance anyway.

Also this place was a great location, from the reception it was just 200m from a beautiful quiet beach which connected on to a more lively part (which still wasn't too crowded), and it was also only a 5/10 minute walk to the busy streets of Ton Sai, with beautiful seaside bars and restaurants. It was also especially quiet at night, something I believe is not afforded to most places on the island that are closer to the busy streets as they have clubs and bars blaring loud music.

The only annoyance for me is the wifi didn't work. However I didn't enquire at reception if the password had changed and if I had they may have fixed it.

I just wanted to leave this review for people that have booked and are now worried about staying here. For £21 a night in a beautiful island, it was fine. In England £21 would get you a lousy B&B in Blackpool, in Thailand it gets you a fairly decent place in one of the most beautiful islands in the world. These people below need to stop complaining, and if they want something better then pay more! I would happily stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Callum M
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

The worst possible senario ever!
1. Disgusting room..sheets are dirty
2. No hot water...no cold water..actually no water at all.
3. The fridge doesnt work
4. Far from the town
5. Angry wierd owner..
6. Construction next to the rooms..cant sleep even during the late night hours
7. No housekeeping...no clean towels...I actually had to buy my own toilet paper.
8. They Dont accept credit cards. Only cash
9. At check out time they litteraly threw us out of the room. The owner opened the door without premission and put a big ugly plastic bag in the room and start "cleaning" it.
10. Thai kids playing soccer outside
11. Wifi doesnt work

The only good thing I had from my stay is the joy of leaving this so called hotel.
Honestly, if u want to enjoy beautiful PP island...just go ANYWHERE else..

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yousef_Isaac
Reviewed 27 December 2013

The only positive thing about Chong Khao is away from the noisy pubs & restaurants. The flip side is having to walk a few blocks to find a decent restaurant. Negatives: bedroom was poorly constructed, full of mosquitos at night, staff is useless, never replace towels or bedsheets (even if you stay for a week), never clean your bungalow or the bathroom. Run away and find a bettter option in the city..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family