“Beautiful location - horrible resort!!”

Phi Phi Natural Resort
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Brisbane
“Beautiful location - horrible resort!!”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

The only thing this resort has going for it is the location!!...it is amazing all around..beach and views are great!!!

We arrived at the hotel after a long trip to get there from phuket...our room wasn't ready for another 2 hours (and things were still missing after we arrived), our bags were late to the room, no atm at all!!!..
Do not eat at the resturant..if the staff do understand what your ordering you'll be lucky to get the right meal and for it to be hot!!..there were even more problems to follow...no hot water (after having multiple people come and try and fix it)..horrible service at reception and everywhere else..
We told the manager nicely about the problems we had experienced at the hotel and she really didn't seem to care at all!!
Do not stay here... it's hard to have a nice relaxing holiday when you stay at a place like this!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank SimoneKKK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 13 June 2009

It was a fantastic location with a view to die for...
The service was a little slow but understandable becoz the island is quite isolated and not the usual tourist spot of PHI PHI.
The rooms were very pleasant and the view as one lay in bed was like attaining nirvana, with the azure blue sea stretched out in front and the different islands all rising like emeralds from the sea.
Pleas make sure you take a sea facing cottage, the extra bucks is worth it... tho overall we found the resort a tad bit expensive...

• Liked — cozy and rustic
  • Disliked — very very far
  • Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Hamburg
Reviewed 8 June 2009

spontaneous trip to phi phi island for 2 nights, so we tried the beach with the most expensive, but silent, hotels. we dont mind to pay more for a good hotel.
we had the "Deluxe Cottage" for about - way too much money (about 140US$ or 100€) - a night. bed was worn, doors didnt open, bath room was not nice, air condition didnt work. they tried to fix the air condition (first girl showed up, tried to switch it on, second girl showed up tried to switch it on, technician came, another technician, went on for 1.5h until 7 people were in our room). we moved to a better "Deluxe Cottage", better bed, doors opened, cleaner bath room, missing door in the bath room, missing mosquito net, not even a free drink or something, but who cares (please remember the price).
receptionist didnt speak enough english to answer simple questions (for instance about simple long tail boat or fairy problems) - or maybe our english is not good enough???
breakfast is a nightmare, we dont expect much but at least trained enough stuff to get knife and fork and eatable - means not half uncooked - eggs or beacon (okay thai people like it like that, but we dont). nobody things about coffee or milk, but when they want the coupon for the breakfast they are like a pack of wild hyenas (off season, 10 people in the hotel maybe 6 at the same time at breakfast - how difficult is it to remember who handed in the coupon?). but it is nice to watch one person folding napkins for hours into triangles and see 3 other stuff members watching her folding the triangles.
hotel area looked like bombed. we know, 40°C and 100% humidity doesnt make it easy to keep things nice and clean, but the footways really need some new concrete. awesome pool view, btw. pool service was not existent, but anyway.
beach of the hotel is not the nice either - you cant enter the water, it is full of sharp corals. you can use the beach of the holiday inn hotel - which is btw right next to the hotel, is not that expensive and looked much, much nicer. the beach was very nice and beautiful off season - nobody there. we will go there again to the holiday inn.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mika28

Travellers are raving about these Ko Phi Phi Don hotels

Darwin82
Reviewed 25 April 2009

It’s like this – if you want to stay on perhaps the best beach (Laem Tong) on Phi Phi but you can’t afford to pay $300+/night and are the kind of person who doesn’t require 5 star luxury or service then this place is for you. I looked at it like property – you buy the worst house on the best street.

We booked this through sawadee.com (which I had read good things about on Trip Advisor) about 2 months before our trip and of all the hotels and guesthouses we pre-booked, Phi Phi Natural Resort was the only one that required full payment before arrival. On booking through Sawadee.com we payed an initial deposit and then the balance about a month before we arrived – all of this happened smoothly and with no problems.

Having not found a cheap and easy way to get to Phi Phi from Patong in Phuket where we were, I rang Phi Phi Natural Resort the day before we were to arrive to arrange a transfer. They arranged each leg of the trip – picked us up in a mini-van to go to the pier, directed us to the ferry to phi phi which took us to a Ao Ton Sai (TonSai bay - the main tourist beach of Phi Phi), transferred us to another boat and then took us up to our beach (Laem Tong Beach) where a resort long-tail boat took us in to shore. We paid for the transfer on arrival at the resort which cost us about AUD40 each (for all bits of the journey). Yes, there was a car and 3 boats to get to our final destination but it was defiantly worth it! The only thing I would change about the transfer would be I would book it with the accommodation in Australia so I didn’t have to worry about it!

When we arrived, the resort staff carried our luggage out of the beautiful long-tail boats and up the beach to the resort where we were greeted with a welcome drink. We checked in and were taken to our room which was the cheapest twin room (standard room) available – town house style accommodation away from the beach for 2450 baht per night (approximately AUD125 per night). The room was more than adequate and if you have been staying in cheaper guesthouses you will find it great. Quite big rooms with veranda, excellent air conditioning, safe, mini-bar, tea & coffee making facilities, toiletries – just those little touches that make all the difference. My only word of warning would be that they are a bit of a hike from the restaurant, pool, reception and the beach – I would say about 300-400 metres on a bit of an incline – it was enough that we would pack a bag with our stuff for the day, go to breakfast and not come back until late afternoon!

As you might be gathering, I had no major complaints with the resort itself but the service and facilities are pretty basic. The food available in the restaurant is well below average for Thai food (although the view is amazing), the pool is average and a bit grotty and there are no other ‘resort’ style facilities like a gym, hire equipment or activities (traditional craft making etc) like the other resorts have.

This place has soooo much potential but they don’t seem to know how to ‘up-sell’ –their promotion of extra items is non-existent. For example, there is no real information about available tours (some sun-faded print outs of information in a window only), gear you can use or hire (I asked if they had canoes and they said they could arrange one for me for what was I think about $25 for a few hours but this was not advertised). They have a massage area which is crummy and again not advertised – you have to ask at reception how much it is. You also have to book at reception which I think puts a lot of people off – they wander up to the massage lady and ask and are directed to the reception but they can’t really be bothered going to the reception so the sale is missed.

All the other resorts are along the main beach but one plus for Phi Phi Natural was there private beach. I have read posts here that have said what a crappy looking beach it was and they felt cheated that the very small stretch of sand was there ‘private beach’ and so they just went to the main beach. These people have missed out. Although not good for swimming, this little beach is amazing for snorkelling – straight off the beach! Just bring rubber thongs you can wear in the water so you can get past the rocks. Go out to the edge of the reef where the water drops off to see all kinds of marine life including little nemos in their little homes! It was truly amazing!

Overall, I was more than happy with our stay at Phi Phi as this island is just a magical place and we could not have afforded to stay at the other resorts on this beach (Erawan Palms Resort, Holiday Inn and Zeavola).

We did lunch almost everyday at Holiday Inn (which I will point out cost us about 1000 baht each day (about $50) for 2 meals (burger / pizza / salad), 2 cocktails and sometimes another juice or coffees). But it was just sooo nice there – right on the beach, tables on the sand and the atmosphere was super relaxed while the service was attentive without being over the top. We also had a cocktail at sunset at Zeavola and although the cocktails cost as much as you would pay in Australia (and we didn’t eat there as the meals were certainly more), I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed February 2009
2 Thank Darwin82
Whitley Bay
Reviewed 8 March 2009

My girlfriend and I arrived at Phi Phi Natural Resort in April 2008 after a brief and (interesting) stay at Ko Jum a.k.a "RAT ISLAND"
On first arriving at Phi Phi Dom I was stunned by the amazing crystal blue ocean, and powder white sand. I have never been anyway this exotic so for me personally this blew my mind. Just the long tail boat journey was an amazing experience in itself and what a great start to a hell of a trip.

My girlfriend has been to this same resort some 4 or 5 years previous with her friend and I had seen the pictures of this pure white sand beach and solitary resort. Unfortunately due to 'us' tourists wanting more and more of Thailand, this once private and secluded beach is now filled with more resorts and the beach can get fairly busy. Not Spain busy but I could certainly see a difference from my girlfriends pictures all those years ago.
One the first day we arrived there was a fair amount of beach wash-up such as building sacks etc and this was a bit of a disappointment but it would not spoil this magical holiday.

The hotel itself: We chose the sea view bungalows with balcony as our traumatic experience at "RAT ISLAND" was a bit too real and we wanted something a bit more luxurious. The rates were very fair and I thought our room was excellent, very clean, beautiful views and the staff were very friendly. I think I spent the first 30 minutes taking in the view and drinking an ice cold Singa from the mini bar whilst in the 33 degree heat.
Never saw a bug or rat in the room, great air con for the really hot times and location was perfect.

Food: Not so great to be honest, not what I would call authentic thai food but edible and who wants to eat in the same place everyday anyway. TIP - Go to Zeavola for a really gorgeous meal, the Seabass was the best i've ever had and their cocktails are brilliant, and get you fairly hammered too.

The Beach: WOW! After the initial take on the beach with the little, the next day it had all gone and we never saw it again. (No idea why this happened but in 7 days saw nothing else) The beach was really powder white and the sea was like nothing i'd ever seen before. Maybe the reason everyone gives this place a bad review is because they've experienced so many different and wonderful places around the world and become complacent about the little things but honestly I thought it was paradise. I will never forget our visit to Phi Phi Dom and the natural resort. It wasn't the hotel that made it on the whole, the room and view were stunning, staff did their best but don't leave your bags with them (they'll end up on a boat to krabi otherwise - no joke) but everyone is so friendly and can't help enough.
We saw dolphins from the pool, the beach and our room and the thai massage was excellent.

Pez's best top tip for all you Phi Phi Dom visitors is to hire a long tail boat yourself and driver for about £20 for 8 hours and go to Ko Phi Phi Ley yourself. Don't do the big tours they look pants in comparison. This was the best part of the whole Thailand experience for me. Snorkelling was a dream come true, perfect visibility, and the boat driver showed us all the little bits you'd normally miss.

What a place - trip of a lifetime!

Enjoy

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
berkshire
Reviewed 8 January 2009

I almost didn't stay at Phi Phi Natural Resort after reading the reviews on here. Unfortunately as I left it to the last minute I had to, it was the only hotel with rooms left bookable online. It really wasn't as bad as some of these reviews make out. Perhaps they just visited at a bad time.

My bungalow was spacious, clean, fragrant, well lit with 3 windows and spotlights and tastefully furnished. I had a TV (although reception is bad, sometimes the only English language channel was Al Jaazera), a well stocked mini bar (very reasonably priced), kettle with tea and coffee, flip flops, umbrellas, air con, fly spray, balcony with deckchairs, etc. The bathroom was a bit dingy with no tub, but the shower was hot. The bungalow was generally clean, although things like the windows and glass table tops needed a good clean. There was only one small mirror in the bathroom, the bedroom could have done with one. I would have also appreciated net curtains so you could have the curtains open without everyone seeing in.
Getting there was fine. I got the ferry from Phuket, a long tail boat from the resort picks you all up from the ferry and takes you to the resort. You never have to carry your own luggage. We were greeted with wet flannels and cool drinks.

The beach is lovely here. Though the resort could do with more loungers. I ended up lying on my towel outside The Holiday Inn or Zeavola. Another reviewer said that you couldn't do that because those resorts owned the beach. Well I didn't get that impression. There were no signs or security guards. Everyone wanders freely up and down the beach. The island is so laid back, I can't see anyone complaining about where you sunbathe.

The communal areas of the hotel are slightly tatty and thats what lets it down, along with the slow service. The Thai food I had there was lovely, but it took so long to order, I only bothered eating there once, apart from breakfast (which was self service thank goodness). One time it took me 30 minutes just to get a beer. Don't attempt to get drunk, its impossible. The staff were around but they seem to ignore people unless you directly call them over. The reception staff also seemed to have big problems checking me in and out, they seemed disorganised or badly trained. Other guests had problems checking out as the resort was charging them for items they claimed not to have had from the mini bar. They undercharged me though, so it works both ways.

There was a bad smell sometimes at the back of the main building near the pond. I did think it was sewage at first, then I realised it came from the gated yard round the back where I saw they store rubbish. It is all divided up into cardboard, oil containers, etc, as though to be recycled. I imagine on an island with no vehicles, rubbish disposal can't be easy, so I forgive the smell.

There was a bit of building going on at the smaller beach. They appear to be cutting the forest away there to put in a few luxury bungalows with jacuzzis. The rubble from this is unappealing but the noise is minimal and I didn't think many people use that beach anyway. It is quite rocky and there is seaweed in the sea.

I enjoyed snorkeling off the rocks right by the main building of the resort, on the main beach. Even at low tide I saw some beautiful, colourful fish in only a metre of water. Definately take your snorkel and mask.

I did get a bit bored after 3 days here. I was alone which didn't help. There is only so many times you can walk up and down the beach. I was hoping there would be paths leading to other areas of the island, but I didn't find any.

It is a shame that there isn't a lively bar at the resort with a bit of atmosphere and music/games/entertainment. Instead there are numerous bar/restaurant areas, that all seemed empty most of the time. I guess the service is so poor most people give up. It would have been nice to be able to order a cocktail while lying on the beach but the small bar at the beach was always unstaffed. The Holiday Inn bar is alright. The prices are reasonable at happy hour but it lacks atmosphere. You can buy alcohol and snacks from the shack/store at the sea gypsy village. However they aren't much
cheaper than the minibar at the resort.

I found the bungalow slightly spooky at night. You could hear faint noises, maybe people walking past or wildlife, I don't know. However if I had been with someone else I think it would have been romantic and exciting.

I paid about £85 a night, but it was peak season so I think it was worth it.

• Liked — the lovely beach
  • Disliked — it was so hard to get served with food and drink
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank kat4444
SydneyAUS
Reviewed 24 December 2008

The boat you take from the ferry is ok, no problems there. I recommend staying at this hotel for 3 nights max. We loved it because we could go snorkelling everyday right at our resort but it was a bit annoying because we would have to wait until high tide. Only in the early mornings and around 4-5 is high tide. Low tide is impossible to go snorkelling or swimming, so you'll have to find other things to do in the mean time. Snorkelling is great though :)

We ate dinner at one of their hotels, where you cook your own food, like an original korean bbq it was great :) We thought the service was great.

Good points
Snorkelling
customer service
big buffet breakfast
decent price for great bbq on the beach
Other restauraunts around the beach
Room, we had the superior room and thought it was great, felt very lucky to get such a great room. Close to the beach. We had views of the sea.
Even though it was high season, we felt very much alone and a lot of the time, we had the whole private beach to ourselves.

Bad points
Low tide- when its low tide... its very low tide, makes it impossible to swim or snorkel.
Lots of coral and rocks on the private beaches, makes it hard to walk on. However still looksstunning from afar.
Long tail boat into town is 900 baht *tip* catch the ferry... 7am start and 1pm drops you back off.. only 150 baht per person.
Food is expensive everywhere. Order room service, its about the same price as anywhere else.

We did not go into the resort with high expectations (due to reviews we've read) but were pleasantly surprised. There is nothing wrong with their buffet breakfast, customer service or superior rooms (we loved the superior rooms). We did get to snorkel, the scenery is great.

Note: they were renovating at the beach, so it was pretty dirty at the time, but we didn't care, once the place gets cleaned up and they get a new pool and spa. This place will be amazing!

This resort has the potential to be soo much more, It's location is fantastic, more so than the holiday inn etc.. Because it has 2 private beaches. Crazzy.

I will post pictures soon.

• Liked — snorkelling, rooms, they had games available to rent free, customer service,
  • Disliked — low tide, expensive food,
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple