“fantastic views, overall enjoyable but with a few niggles”
Review of Phi Phi Hotel

Phi Phi Hotel
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 30 January 2011

This hotel is based in the heart of Tonsai, so near all the restaurants, cafes, bars, nightclubs etc, but it is far enough away from the noisiest bars to ensure a good nights sleep which is essential.

Even Koh Dalum now has nightclubs on it, so there are few hotels left in this area that would offer a quiet nights sleep.

The rooms (we had sea twin room) were spacious, with great sea views, good a/c, good water pressure. Great breakfast. Comfortable beds. Kettle. 2 free bottles of water every day.

However the reception staff were hit and miss, with average/ low English and service knowledge. There was one girl, Kamol, who was great, we tried to talk to her whenever we needed anything as she was helpful and spoke good English.

There was no internet in the hotel, they sold you vouchers to access a wi-fi company, but this signal was very unrealiable and i lost a lot of time and money trying to use it. In the end we just ate at restaurants and Dbooks cafe, to get free internet to check up on our emails (we had our own laptop with us)

The hotel turned off the electricity 3 times in our 1 week stay for 2 hours a time (for routine work) but they did this at the hottest time of the day, so no air-con or showers, which was very frustrating. It even went down (unplanned) the morning we checked out, so lugging around heavy suitcases in 35 degrees and trying to clear out the bathroom in pitch black.

No-one met us at the pier to collect our suitcases on arrival, nor took the cases back to the pier on exit, This is a service that nearly all other hotels offer.

The large breakfast area was used for tour groups at lunchtime, so was invaded with huge groups of people, which wasn't nice.

The pool was lovely, but only had 6 deck chairs for lots of people, we obviously swam in the sea most days, but the sea is unswimmable at low tide, so it was nice to have the pool.

Also, the hotel is full of 'rules' for everything, charging per hour for late check out, for not returning your towel, for 'washing' in the communal bathroom etc etc. If you know all this you just have to stick to the rules, no problems, but it creates a bit of a negative atmosphere to see the 'rules' stuck everywhere.

With the rising prices in Phi Phi, and the terrible exchange rate of the UK pound, we were a bit shocked at how the hotels in Phi Phi seem much, much more expensive.

We stayed at this hotel 4 years ago at Xmas (2007) and it cost 18 UK pounds, this year it cost 75 UK pounds. (this is peak prices at Xmas) The cheaper rooms were doubles only (we prefer twins) and were also lower down the building, so noisier and no views. This felt overpriced, but we saw some of the other hotels and the price was actually reasonable in comparison.

Some reviews comment on the lack of character of the hotel, yes this is true, but there are a lot of bugs and mosquitioes on Phi Phi, so i would always chose a modern room with air-tight double glazed patio doors and windows. We stayed in the more charming Banyan Villa, with all that wooden furniture and balinese style, and there were lots of bugs living in the wood, there were gaps around the wooden doors and windows so i got bitten all night long. So in Phi Phi give me modern, i don't want character.

Having a comfortable, clean, bug free room and a quiets night sleep is so important, that yes i would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank antibes

Reviewed 29 January 2011

I was staying in Sea View room - quite small room with pier view. This is a noisy place - I could not fall asleep because of party in the sweeming pool. The room was clean and room facilities are normal, but periodically the hotel hunts insects, so this time is a big chanse to come across to insects. The breakfast was normal.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2011

The Phi Phi hotel is a large hotel lacking any charm or character. It is expensive and doesn't miss a trick when it comes to charging for anything extra possible. The whole island seems to be a tourist rip off centre. The landscape is beautiful but the hordes of insensitive, ignorant tourists who go just to drink their own weight in booze and dance till they're sick on the beach every night, ruin the appeal.
The Phi Phi hotel is basic at best. Tiny rooms with an even tinier bathroom. We could hear the people in the rooms above us and beside us.
The rooms were clean enough. The staff were efficient without being friendly and the food was just O.K. They cater for a mass market and no attention to detail was made in order to make the customer feel special. In fact, we felt anonymous during our stay as if we were just another number while the locals hoped for a quiet week tourist wise.
We only stayed two nights and then set sail for the lovely intimate privacy of koh lanta.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights in Dec 2010. We did not have it prebooked and after viewing many places we thought we had made a good decision.
We had 2 rooms outside the main hotel building. We were on the first floor and had a great view of the sea etc and our 2 friends were on the ground floor. When we got into our room we checked the balcony door and my BF realised it had been broken and a small metal bar was put in place to "fix" it. He wasn't happy because it gave the impression that someone had broken into the room before. There was a roof below to easily gain access to the door. We called reception and they sent someone to fix it, but it did not fix it and we said we wanted a different room. They hesitated and say all the doors were the same. But we knew this was not true because we checked our friends door and that was fine. They then agreed to show us the room next door and that was the same ! So after more convincing they showed us another room below, the door was fine on this one! But the view was a wall, the room was smaller and it had a smell of sewage. I was really unhappy but really tired after the ferry so accepted it. They said they had no other rooms free so I didn't really have a choice. They did not apologise once for the situation..
We went to get towels from reception and the lady was really really rude to some guy who was asking for his key. She said he had already got his key and he was insisting it was not him.
Anyway the rooms are nice, breakfast is good, water is not hot though.
I don't think I would waste my money staying here again. I do not feel like they valued customers at all. Really handy location though.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 December 2010

I came back to Phi Phi after 5 years and I was so sad to find out how mass tourism can destroy such a wonderful place!
Phi Phi Hotel is a good accomodation in Phi Phi downtown, the rooms have all comforts and the breakfast is very big!
The staff is nice and friendly however the rules of the Hotel are too strict . No guests in the rooms after 10pm .. If you loose your key 2000Bath fine.. If you dont give back the swimming pool towel 2000 bath fine..
It seemed like being in a Military Camp!
A bit noisy at night.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2010

I ignored the previous reviews and i am very sorry I did. I had a 4th floor seaview room and thought the place was fine. Great location, decent pool. Then in the middle of the night I awoke to an inching on my arm. The next day the arm was covered in little bites...the telltale sign of bedbugs. I would seriously think twice about staying here unless you want to share your bed with a host of little friends. i only hope they didn't infest my clothes and luggage as I would prefer not to have to throw everything away.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Phi Phi Hotel is part of a hotel/resort group by tonsai village. Banyan villa is also one of them located on the main strip but Phi Phi hotel is a block away from the main strip. The rooms and amenities are similar if not exactly the same. I went to Phi Phi island without making sleeping arrangements and ended up booking the Phi Phi hotel after looking at several places. It is probably more expensive than most guesthouses/hostels/ hotels on the island and if you want to "splurge" this place is it. I got to see many places before booking a room at Phi Phi hotel and this place is a palace compared to the ones I've looked at. The rooms are tidy, clean and had a view of the beach which was beautiful. You also get free breakfast which had a decent variety and also a small pool to lounge around in. I believe I paid $88 usd and it was high season so the price was expected. In low season you can expect to pay half of that. The location was great and a block from the pier but Phi Phi island's main village is extremely small and walkable. I would definitely either stay in the same hotel on my next visit or one of their sister hotels on the island.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends