“Really wanted to like this place...”

Phi Phi The Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Ko Phi Phi Don
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This was the last leg of our annual family vacation. Let me start by saying the views are incredible. However, the negative aspects of this place completely outweigh postcard-worthy views.

To begin, the first level looks like a construction site. Exposed wires, scaffolding overhead; not an issue *except* one needs to walk through/under it when coming down from our rooms. Did not feel safe.

Second, scuba diving. The hotel has a dive shop, however I only saw staff there once, with no prices or takeaway information. Considering 1. My wife and I lugged 20kg of dive gear halfway across the world and 2. I am a dive instructor in Australia working in a similar tourist industry capacity, we expected a higher level of service. The front desk staff were even reluctant to help us with transport of our gear into town because we hadn't booked with their dive shop.

Lastly, breakfast, while ample, gave me big concerns re: sanitary conditions, particularly the egg station, opening at 7:30, had raw egg (obviously pre-whipped for scrambled eggs or omeletts) sitting out in a bowl in the heat when we went down for an early beach walk at 6:45. Also, the beef was obviously left over from dinner the night before--it was rock hard tough.

My biggest criticism is the staff. I realise there are cultural and language barriers, but in every aspect, whether it was trying to organise transfers, diving, transport to town, etc...they seemed uninterested, unhelpful, and at times obstinate. They had the attitude like any request was an inconvenience.

Overall the "secluded and picturesque" resort was really more isolated and inaccessible. If you expect staff to be helpful and want easy access to town and activities, I would recommend you stay somewhere else.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank humblepuck

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We are currently staying at this 'resort', only to be disappointed at every turn. The only reason that we haven't checked out is because the long boat taxi 'not running' according to the unfriendly and arrogant, lazy staff.

The '30 minute beach walk' to town is not a gentle stroll along serene sandy beaches filled with swimmers and sun bakers. It is a rocky, slippery, tree-root laden, stair-filled trek where you have to climb, jump, and pull yourself up by ropes in places and is certainly not physically possible if you have young children or older/disabled family members.

We asked about a taxi or tuk tuk and were told that none existed on the island- interestingly the same staff member that said this was today driving one around. The staff have no problems lying to your face and changing their story at any time.

There was no staff in the dive centre when we went to inquire so we booked a trip in town with another company. When we asked reception about a transfer to town in the morning, we were told a random load of lies - everything from there was no longtail boat ( even though it was parked at their wharf ), no roads into town, no vehicles or any way that we could get into town at that time. After us saying we wanted a refund and would leave right then and there.... Suddenly a pick up truck became available for the price of 500B to transfer in the morning.

When we met the falling apart rust bucket in the morning, whilst transferring us, it also suddenly became a school bus, picking up staff's children to take into town. But weren't we told the day before that there were no roads or vehicles??? Truth is obviously not the staff's strong point.

We were also told breakfast wasn't till 7.30am but on meeting the transfer at 7am, breakfast was up and running, so we missed that.

The staff also seem to make up prices at a whim. My husband was told at reception a bag of ice was 50b and had to be ordered from room service. When he rang to order, suddenly the price became 100b bucket on ordering from room service. We were told at checkin that bottled water was free, but later in the day, after our workout (beach walk) that then changed to 50b per bottle when we wanted to rehydrate.

The 'mini bar' is indeed mini, but minus the bar. Two apples make up the 'fruit platter' and the 'bar' is 2 cans of cola and 2 cans of pineapple juice, and a small packet of peanuts... Not what we expected!

On a positive note, the views are lovely.... But not worth $400 for two nights in a cramped tacky 'deluxe sea view'. If you want easy access to town and reliable information from staff, then this is not the place to stay.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Justaddbacon
Reviewed 1 July 2014

we had searched all week for some decent food. we were sceptical about ordering anywhere as we had such bad food on phi phi.
the food came out and it was beautiful - we ordered
stuffed ham
brushetta
chicken wings
yellow curry
2 beautiful cocktails.
it was all very expensive for phi phi but worth every penny.

everything was perfect, setting was beautiful and we had fire dancers to entertain us.
The staff were lovely - one guy was so helpful, he took pictures for us and offering to carry our bags back to our hotel - with out asking for a tip. we tipped him highly anyway as he was so kind (and you don't see this much on phi phi)

only down side was cats - the bloody things would not leave s alone but the staff kept taking them away and joking about putting them on the menu

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My family and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at this resort.

The positive:
Wifi
Room was tidy
Nice beach
Breakfast average

Negative:

Staff not friendly at all
Staff not handling luggage with care
Towels old
Linen dirty
No service on beach although near bar
Building rubble lying around
Cats al over
Not easy to reach town

Will not return to this resort

Buks Riekert

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bikkieshark
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This is a bungalow style resort on a hill. If you have kids do not stay here. You have to hike up & down from your room on a steep incline. The rooms are ok and the breakfast buffet is pretty good. They had a free fire dance one night that was entertaining. The beach itself was not that great. Trash kept washing up on the beach and it was a tourist that was picking it up. Also, they have tons of cats wandering around the resort. I think this has lead to flees in the sand or something because my feet had too many bug bites to count. I also watched cats defecate on the beach in the sand. Not something I want to step in. I also found lost of glass in the sand. You definitely have to watch where you step if you stay here. I would not stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I spent two nights of my honeymoon in this resort and I can tell you that you should find another place to stay in the lovely Phi Phi Islands...
we booked the extra luxury room and the first impression was pretty bad.
1) old and dirty towels
2) the room was almost at the top of the hill and in order to go there you have to literally climb pretty harsh stairs
3) there are unfinished buildings everywhere
4) the staff is unfriendly and seem pretty tired of working there...

I thought that maybe these were just my impressions but I have to admit that after two nights spent there I confirm my a.m. thoughts and I have to add the following ones:
1) the location is awful: the resort is at the end of the bay and it is constantly windy so I suggest to book a lower room. Furthermore, if you want to go to the town you can either take a 300 Bath taxi boat or walking more than 2 Km through the beach and a jungle path...
2) the restaurant is really expensive (compared to Thai's standards) and the quality is pretty poor...
3) the resort is literally invaded by annoying hungry cats which are constantly bothering you when you are eating at the restaurant...

The only good thing about this resort has been the reggae music which the pretty small bar in the front of the beach played during our last night.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AlessandroA2
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Wow where do I start. After reading reviews on tripadvisor I was very sceptical to book this resort.
I booked for 2 nights and went there with NO expectations at all. Boy was I amazed.
The staff was very friendly.
The room was extremely nice and made up in honeymoon style. We had the most amazing view from our balcony.
This was paradise - I will definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple