“This place is terrible”

Ranked #29 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Chichester, United Kingdom
“This place is terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

The rooms are horrible, cockroach and lizard infested cesspit. The state of the rooms are only surpassed by the rude, racist and unhelpful staff. No where else in Thailand was I made to feel this uncomfortable or unwelcome. Honestly it's cheap but not worth it. To top it off I actually walked in on a member of their staff going through my possesions when I popped back to my room after saying I was off to go out diving. The lady even had the cheek to argue with me even when caught red handed and when I complained further I was called every name under the sun and being a female travelling alone I was so intimidated I had to check out.

So in summary, rude dishonest racist staff, filthy rooms, roaches, noisy, even though it's cheap there are far better places for the same money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Dinah O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed in one of the basic fan rooms for 4 nights while diving with Buddha View. The room was fairly basic and quite dark. The fan wasn't great and the toilet was Thai style. We were told on check in that sheets & towels were only changed every 4 days, so we didn't get a change while we were there. On the plus side it was fairly good value (around 450 BHT per night in February) and had free wifi included (wifi was a little patchy). The location was good, right on the beach with lots of decent bars and restaurants close by. The beach isn't great, but we spent most of our days diving so it didn't bother us too much. Not a bad option overall.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

My second visit to this hotel. My room was basic but clean, they clean every two days and change towels.
Gardens are clean and very nice. Great location near the beach, which is a typical Thai beach.
Some good places to eat ,drink and socialise within walking distance but not walking distance from the main Koh Tao beach.

I found staff helpful and there are always pleny of them about

Food was OK, again typical thai food; a huge selection and tasty but not posh

I think this hotel is great value; a great base for diving and to visit the Koh Tao animal clinic who do a wonderful job for the islands animals

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank elaine007190761
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2013

Stayed here for a week with my 10yr old daughter whilst we did our padi next door at buddhaview. Bungalows were basic, but pretty clean. Had to ask for a linen and towel change midway through. Nice relaxing balcony. The walls are paper thin and the guys next door were pretty noisy, so i wore earplugs (my daughter can sleep on a washing line during a riot so was unaffected!). Unfortunately, during our stay there was a dengue outbreak, so definitely recommend taking deet/burning mozzie coils if staying during wet or shoulder seasons.
The rooms were convenient for the diving otherwiwe we would have stayed nearer sairee, as it was a bit out of the way. That said, we hired a ped and got out n about.

Room Tip: Hire a ped so you can get into town without forking out on taxis.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank planetwanderer
Llucmajor, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed in Tropicana Resort actually recommended by the staff from another -most expensive- resort. Once there, we realised they have a partnership with a scuba-diving school and that's how we contacted and hired a diving course.

The room was perfect for a couple (i.e., clean, bathroon ensuite, quite) and the food there was average but convenient when you just want to eat after a long day or charge your batteries before starting it.

There were bars nearby but the sound didn't reach our bungalow. The beach was just... there in front of the place. Amazing.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the seaside since the buzz from the nearby bars may be too much.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

When I got here I was so excited about my room. It was in the newest building and looked really nice. Only got one sheet to sleep with, and the towel looked a bit dirty. The room has a DVD player in it and they have tons of movies to pick from! The restaurants food is so-so, and the staff aren't overly helpful. Luckily it's around the corner to a 7-11 so I could pick up my own bed bug spray after they told me 7pm was "too late" to ask for them to spray my room. I wasn't very impressed. The wifi doesn't reach very far, but most of all the location is fairly crappy. It's far to walk to the main part of ko tao, and when I was here the road was almost washed out anyways. The beach wasn't even nice, and I was glad to leave!!
Oh yeah, and the shower pumps out water that smells so strongly of sewage. I didn't even ask about this one. I didn't want to know.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank ccall25

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Montréal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

We really enjoy this hotel. The staff was very nice and helpful. The room was not the cleaness but it was spacious and quiet. We took the room without AC and we slept with the balcony door open. It was perfect!! It's not located "downtown" Koh Tao but it was near New Heaven dive shop, wich was perfect for our diving lesson. The food at the hotel was a little expensive, but it was excellent. You have to try the coco soup and fish,and of course the fried rice and pad thai.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends