“Rudest staff ever”

Ranked #33 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
New York
“Rudest staff ever”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

While the location was good and the room was fine I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Even my worst enemy. I have never been treated so badly by an employee in my life.
Our horrible experience began when the horrible woman at reception claimed she couldn't find our reservation.
After going back and forth for 45 minutes, she revealed that basically an entire building was empty and there were plenty of rooms making the entire debate pointless. At which point she asked us to cancel our nonexistent booking.
Later in our visit she called me stupid to my face because I asked for change. And yelled at us when we asked to call a cab and told us to try on the street.
In the 3 days we were there our room was never cleaned and we had to pay for each roll of toilet paper.
Weigh the price and location against the constant anger and aggravation.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank JoTravel7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Thai first
London, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had a basic room with a fan. It was a good size and had a nice balcony. About a 30 sec walk from a gorgeous beach. It was very clean when we arrived, and they clean rooms every 3 days.

The restaurant was reasonably priced and decent food. They arranged ferry and train tickets for us back to Bangkok, including a transfer from the hotel to the pier.

There is a 7/11 right by the hotel as well as a number of good restaurants and other shops. There is one fruit shake stand in particular (which also makes sandwiches) which is amazing!

Tropicana has a deal with Buddha View Resort which is almost right next door. So if you dive with Buddha View you can get a discount on your room.

We were planning to stay 4 days and ended up staying a week.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Bathroom was bare and dirty, the water in the shower and sink drunk badly of sulphur/rotten eggs. Some staff were very nice, others not so much. Wifi was on and off, couldn't get signal at all from our room. One fan for a three person room. Close to beach and Main Street in Chalok, outside is well kept by maintenance people.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank K S
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend spent a couple of nights here. 550 baht per night gives you a nice clean room with sea view, cold water and fan. The restaurant is alright, and the staff friendly enough. The wifi is not working most of the time, which could be a problem for some.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Start with good things, this budget hotel located in a great location.
Just few step to the beach and convenience store, clinic, bike rental next door.
The food here is ok.

BUT .....
I and my friends were frustrated by the staff. Once we book the room there is no offer for transfer .. that's ok because we didn't ask. So when we arrived we book a departure transfer at 9am to catch the ferry.
On our departure day, we are ready to go but informed by the staff that the transfer is fully booked by another group. And were asked to wait for next round at 9.30am, "it surely on time" told by the staff.
We not sure to check-in the ferry on time so we call a taxi and pay another 400 Baht for transfer.

It would be no issue if the staff tell us "I will call the taxi immediately" we can wait for a moment.

In addition, no drinking glass in the room (but there are saucers), floor not clean.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank itjustohm

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I've been staying on Chalok Bay for about 8 years now and the area has undergone big changes. Many of the budget places in the area get worse and worse every year, with unfriendly management.

Tropicana is an exception. Recently booked a stay at Tropicana online. The manager was really helpful and friendly in all responses. For budget prices, you get a clean and basic bungalow practically on the beach. The restaurant is also good and well priced. I would recommend it for a budget stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jessica L
Si Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This place is the worst hotel I have ever experienced the people working are downright hateful. If you like WiFi they don't allow you to use it. They advertise free wifi but the staff has an ongoing game they play with their furang guests the Wi-Fi signal is strong but will not connect and the game is they come up with a new excuse why it doesn't work every time u ask. They also don't care if they are obvious about this and laugh in your face right away mocking you completely. For the first 3 days it did not work at all for me but I didn't say anything. Them my 2 year old wanted to watch sesame street so I started asking what was up and the game began. All day they made up stories about it, some technical most not about why no wifi.First it was the technician is on his way, next he was just there then he left it worked fifteen minutes and quit and technician is coming back be here soon. Then they told me to use another signal that was there as it had same pass word. They would mostly just stare blankly and act dumb. this stupid game went back and fourth and so far no internet for me. They laugh cruelly in my face. Really aweful people .they for sure are not Buddhists! STEER CLEAR THEY ruined my stay here!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family