“If you're looking for an eco-friendly budget resort right on the beach...”

Koh Tao Tropicana Resort
Ranked #33 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Sydney, Australia
“If you're looking for an eco-friendly budget resort right on the beach...”
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I went to Koh Tao as part of an i-to-i marine conservation volunteer program through the nearby New Heaven dive school. (Just a tip: If you want to do this program, contact New Heaven directly and it will be much cheaper. I didn't know what was what before going on the program so had to depend on the expertise of i-to-i instead but I would definitely go back to New Heaven directly next time). I stayed at Tropicana Resort for the 2 weeks, the room was very basic (no flushing toilet, mosquito net, AC, radio or tv) but comfortable enough. The staff are cheerful and always happy to help. Location was beautiful and safe; I was there alone so this was important to me. Keep an eye out of the pancake and noodle carts (on bikes) that come around every now and then - cheap and tasty! There's also a samosa man who appears after each dive session at the New Heaven dive shop, also delicious!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Michichan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Thai first
Zurich
Reviewed 27 June 2010

I'm a bit torn on how to review this hotel. A friend and I booked as part of a package and were given the cheapest bungalows next to the beach. The location was great and the beach was really nice upon first glance.

The bungalow was small, really really hot, and directly across from the reception area and restaurant. It smelled like sewage everywhere, especially when we ran the water...including the saltwater shower. There was only a fan that didn't circulate the air very well so it was hard to escape the heat. There are no blankets provided, just a thin sheet. The location was quite loud during the day, but as the restaurant closed at 10 we figured it would be ok for sleeping. After getting into bed - we realized that the room was infested with bedbugs, but there was no one at reception to help us with no number to call in case of emergencies, so we ended up sleeping outside....with the 3 legged howling dog. The next morning we told reception who said we had to wait until the owner arrived in a couple of hours. When he arrived he upgraded us to a nicer room in a new building that had a DVD player and a fridge (which was only on when the key was left in the wall) - but said we would have to pay to use the AC. The water still stunk, but at least the room was clean and bug-free. There was a fan which worked better than the bungalow, but it was still hard to cool off. From this point onwards our stay was better - but it's still hard to call it a great place because it has too many downsides, despite the grounds being really nice.

You can't really swim at the beach because the water is so shallow, but it's still nice to walk on. We ate at the restaurant many times and the food was actually quite good, especially the shakes!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 15 May 2010

We had booked an AC-bungalow for 1200 baht / night. We arrived early and had to wait around four hours until we could check in to our room. The room was very small, and dirty. The bathroom was horrible and smelled like sewage. There were lots of ants, and probably other animals too, although we didn't see them :)

As soon as we would have our light on in our bungalow, the staff came running telling us to turn it off, presumably to save electricity. The hotel did not even provide blankets, but we got large towels instead(!?).

The location is great, as it is right on the beach. The beach is beautiful as well, although not good for swimming. The sand is muddyish and there are lots of seashells and rocks on the bottom making it hard to walk out to reach a swimmable depth (which is pretty far out). The location is the only positive thing about this place. If the price would have been like 400 baht / night it might've been worth it, but 1200 baht is very overpriced, even considering that we had AC.

We really do not recommend it, and as soon as we checked in we realized that we did not want to stay here, so we started making arrangements to go back to Am Samui Palace on Koh Samui where we had come from. After staying one very unpleasant night here we went back there, which was the best decision of our trip.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Bangkok
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights and paid for 2 nights in advance - rooms very basic but clean enough although a bit stinky didn't think to check the shower and bath taps which churn out salty water!!!! Told the staff and they said all rooms are like this so had to buy drinking water to shower with- Unbelievable

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
trixinator
Reviewed 5 April 2010

I stayed at Tropicana after a recommendation from a local. What a horrible decision! Starting with the good news - the restaurant staff was very friendly (the food was so-so) and the proximity to the beach was great. BUT, after a pleasant day of lounging on the beach (which is beautiful but the water is too shallow to have a good swim and you easily cut your feet on the rocks/shells), I returned to the room before midnight. Shortly after, I saw a bug crawl out of the wooden flower moldings that are nailed on the walls above the beds. I realized it was a bed bug. I had my reading light on and watched many of them crawl out towards me and I killed them all. I was then so scared that I literally sat in the bathroom all night long so that I didn't get bitten on my bed. First thing in the morning, I went to the staff and told them. They didn't even seem surprised. They said they'd go spray but I asked to be moved to a newer room. I also asked them to spray the newer room as well before I went into it. After that, I entered the room, took a quick shower, and laid down to get some rest after my sleepless night before. I quickly thought I should look around the bed and found 2 beg bugs instantly. This same room had the carved wooden molding above the bed (as this was surely their safe home). I promptly called one of the nicest hotels on the beach and had them come get me to go to their hotel. After all this, the Manager of the Tropicana told me that this was not her problem and I still had to pay for 2 nights of the rooms even though I stayed only one night. She also said that I was lying, despite the fact that her staff had seen all of the dead bed bugs on the sheets that I had killed (as I made sure to keep them there for evidence). I have since then made sure to wash EVERYTHING (including my suitcase and backpack) and throw out stuff as to make sure those nasty creatures didn't tag along with me. I have also since found out that a friend I met there was bitten by bed bugs the next night and now has over 40 bites on her arm.

If you look at the pictures listed on the hotels website, you can see the carved wooden moldings that sit above the beds. I believe this is the home for the bed bugs as the spray can't reach them there.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank trixinator
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 25 February 2010

We stayed for 2 nights in an a/c room in the new building. The owner and staff are very friendly and helpful. For the price, the room was an excellent deal. Don't expect daily maid service, and you will have to buy toilet paper if you run out. But the price of the rooms is very reasonable (1500 Bhat for a triple with a/c) so we didn't mind that. The restaurant was very good and reasonably priced. The coconut smoothies were the best. The hotel gardens/courtyard is absolutely lovely with an area where you can get a wonderful Thai Massage. The beach in front of the hotel is small (especially at high tide), but if you walk down about 1/2 km you'll get to a lovely little stretch of beach with great swimming. Also, don't miss out on the seafood bbq just down the beach at the Buddha View hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2010

We had a fantastic 5 nights in Tropicana, totally recommend it to anybody looking for accommodation from 400 to 1200 Thb a night. We stayed in the 400 Thb room which was great, very close to the beach, cafe's and restaurants. Perfect!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends