“RUN ...RUN FOREST!!!”
Review of Sunset Buri Resort

Sunset Buri Resort
Ranked #50 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 16 March 2013

WOW ...first impressions can be deceiving! The place I was staying at had all the rooms booked up past when I was staying, so I needed to move hotels. I had walked by here and it looked nice, so I went and paid for two nights. I was quite shocked when I checked in that they not only didn't take a photocopy of my passport(as most do) ....they never even had me fill out my name or a registration card, they just took my money and gave me a receipt????? The little huts looked so nice from the outside, with their little patio areas and big windows, but that's where it ended ...what a dump! They had done some crappy cleaning job ...there was still garbage from the last person that stayed there ...it was filthy, rundown, bugs everywhere. I paid for two nights, but after one went and asked for my money back, which surprisingly I was given! Don't be deceived on how this place looks from the outside ...you can do MUCH ...MUCH better for your money!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Dave B

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Had been here 5 nights - no flat screen tv it was a box that didn't work!
Swimming pool was green and dirty and not useable, staff are rude and not helpful.
Had 3 power cuts during our stay, one at 11pm then the next day at 6pm and couldn't even have a shower then one the next day at 12pm went to reception at 2 and said it was cut off till 5, it was sweltering hot and wouldn't give us any money back even though we had paid for aircon!!
The balcony doir wouldn't open so had to leave our clothes to dry in the room. Do not book here!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for one night, because as soon as we got into the room (after changing room twice because there wasnt a bed in the room) we went looking for somewhere new to stay.

The room was very dull and boring, the headboard on the bed was mouldy and the bed sheets stunk and had stains and holes in.

The door to the balcony wouldnt lock so had to take all our valuables with us while looking for somewhere new to stay.

The staff werent helpful in the slightest, couldnt understand anything I was saying and just kept handing me a key for a new room.

It is one of the worst places I have ever stayed.

Oh and the swimming pool is disgusting and unusable, but that doesnt matter as much as it is right on the beach.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nathan D
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Unfortunately I can't think of any positives for this place apart from its close to the beach and pretty quite but that's probably because there's not a lot of people around.

The staff are not very friendly and are lazy to the extreme, even for Thailand! We paid 600bht for a fan room which was big but smelled of very strong damp and was looking very used. We stayed for 4 nights as it was in a good position but the room wasn't cleaned or sheets changed in that time and we even had to ask for toilet rolls.

We're used to run down rooms but this was probably the worst and the attitude of the staff added to the bad vibe. Oh and do not swim in the swimming pool as it hasn't been cleaned for a long time!

Biggest problem this place has is that no one can be bothered with anything. Such a shame.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Yes the rooms were somewhat old fashioned, but it was a large room in a great location on the beach. Everything is within walking distance from it and there are some good diving/snorkelling places around. Lovely local family were there most of the time and lots of beach volleyball being played. Exactly what we needed - safe and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We arrived in Koh Tao having not booked anywhere and were horrified by some of the prices being asked for some rooms (we are on a budget!!), so we reached Sunset Buri and found these rooms going for 500 Baht, located on the ground floor near reception and took them.

The room was big and spacious, with a fridge, fan and hot shower (which was one of the best I have used in our trip round South East Asia). The room did smell a little of stale cigarette smoke and looked a little dated, but other than that it was clean and comfortable.
The Staff were very accommodating, and had no issues with us moving to a different room (we only moved to access the wifi from a local cafe ;-) ) and also agreed to a discounted rate of 450 a night as we were staying 6 nights.

With regard to some of the comments relating to theft on here, we always took our key with us whenever we went out, and never had any issues. The room was accessed by hotel staff for cleaning when we were out. We did see that the keys were left at reception and easily accessed by others, so can only think that the thefts reported below were done by other opportunistic travelers.

The resort itself was ok, nice pool area, spoilt by the pool itself! We did use it, but the water was mirky with dead insects floating on top - it didn't seem to be cleaned often. Sun loungers etc all appeared to work and be in good order.

Think it was referenced in another review, but the resort does seem to be bombarded by locals in the afternoon who use the pool. Wasn't a problem to us, and there was still plenty of room.

All in all, decent room in a good location on an ok resort. Good value for money when compared to some prices we were quoted, sure you can get bungalows for 350/400 baht at other resorts, but these were full!

On a side note, I can't find the restaurant on TA, but we ate at a restaurant called Su Chili (4 out of 6 nights!), located near by, and would highly recommend it - dive masters from several companies were in here on every occasion we went - well worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We stayed at Sunset Buri resort for almost a week and were pretty happy with it. We stayed in the main building above reception and were happy to have a clean, spacious and quiet room.

The staff were friendly (if not very talkative) and the rooms were cleaned when we asked for them to be so all in all it was a good stay.

The location was a couple of minutes walk from the beach but not actually on the beach itself. I'd recommend this place for people looking for clean but simple, no-frills accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends