“One of the worst hotel experiences ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Sunset Buri Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Sunset Buri Resort
Ranked #49 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Portland, Oregon
“One of the worst hotel experiences ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

This place is obviously for people that haven't read about it on tripadvisor, like we didn't. When we checked in, they kept my wife's passport. Some hotels do that, but it was the first that did on our trip, so I didn't like it but I wondered what could really happen (ominous start). We were given a bungalow, and a price that wasn't too bad on top of it. So far so good.

Then things started to get interesting. The first night, I was taking a shower, and I bumped into the faucet which sticks out around one's knees for some reason. It was so light that I didn't feel any pain, but heard a roaring sound. The faucet and come off and was shooting water out violently into the bathroom. I went quickly to find staff, but at about 11:00 p.m., everything was closed down with no one in sight. I eventually went into a nearby garage that was open, and happened to belong to someone that worked there, so they came and fixed it.

Normally, I might feel very remorseful and want to pay, but it came off SO EASILY that I'm sure it was about to fall off anyways. The owner, we were told, was angry but willing to forgo charging us if we stayed more nights and pay up front. Thinking this was reasonable, we decided to stay for 3 nights and pay up front. Big mistake.

Night number 2, the fan breaks in the middle of the afternoon. This time, we clearly didn't do anything, since it is on the ceiling. Instead of buying a new one, they took until the next day to repair that same one (and also removing the cage cover that prevents the blades from falling on you in case they weren't installed properly). That night, they gave us a room in the adjoining hotel. The bungalows are normally pretty hot, but with the fan they are ok. This hotel room was insanely hot and humid, and the wimpy fan in it did almost nothing to cool us down. It had an A/C, but of course it wasn't running for us. Also, when we entered, the bathroom hadn't been cleaned, and so they asked us to wait 5 minutes while they took the trash out and merely sprayed water (no cleaning materials used) and then said it was ok.

Ok, it couldn't get any worse than that second, sleepless night, we thought. While we were watching a movie on the third night, my wife shrieked as she noticed a GIANT spider on the wall. I had never seen one like that before, except maybe in the movie Arachnophobia, and after I killed it, yet another one showed up.

The spiders aren't exactly their fault, more of a problem with the territory I suppose, but the other stuff was. DO NOT STAY HERE unless everything else is booked. Cheers.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Captain_Mal_52744

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Now that Ko Tao accommodation prices have gone as mental as those on Phi Phi etc, you just get used to paying over the top prices for substandard accomodation. Like the Sunset Buri. I stayed here first over a decade ago and it was clean, well run, and quiet. Now, it's run down, badly run (new owners), and has a beach party playing doof-doof music till 2am every night. The pool is good, the bathrooms are appalling, the service is average, the prices high, and the rooms are grubby. My low point came when I found maggots under my pillow an hour after checking in.

Not much to recommend this hotel, but not too bad if you are stuck for digs.

Room Tip: Get one as far from the beach as possible if you want to sleep. If you want to party, get as close t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

The rooms here are so hot! None of the windows open in any of the rooms, and so at night our room was stifling. The location was good and the pool was great, but the trouble I had sleeping, because of the heat, ruined my stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Okay, here's a balanced review - who it's good for and who it isn't.

For me, a twentysomething backpacker looking for something near to a beach, near to the nightlife and nothing more than a place to put my head down at night - it was perfect.

Staff don't say (or do) a lot, didn't try the food as there are so many places on the doorstep, and the location is bang in the middle of sairee beach.

If you're looking for anything more... it probably isn't for you. It's basic. But if, like me, you just need somewhere to stay on your travels, it's absolutely fine.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

The combination of rude service, bugs in the bed and general uncleanliness meant we checked out about three hours after checking in, and went to stay at O'Chai Bungalows a few metres down the beach instead. Although the pool looks lovely and the location is right on the beach, the staff were not interested in speaking to us, or in cleaning the rooms. There are many other places along Sairee beach that offer great service and are better value.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicky R
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We had a brilliant stay. The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was of a good standard. The rooms are basic but clean and it was good value for money. With its own beach, its ideal for some peace and quiet.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

This hotel is not for flash packers. Rooms are basic but cheap. We paid 900 Baht for a fan room but the super helpful and friendly girl who worked there actually turned on the A/C we had in our room anyway for no extra charge. The hotel is dated but in a super location right on Sairee Beach and in the thick of the action. Any back packers on a budget this hotel is great. Anyone looking for a luxurious stay in Koh Tao there are much more suitable resorts on the island.

• Stayed August 2013