“Only for laughing gas party addicts” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunset Buri Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Sunset Buri Resort
Ranked #49 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Lisbon, Portugal
“Only for laughing gas party addicts”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

A great location for the beach and town but from 1am to 5am, you suffer shouting drunks walking past your room. When you pay, the receptionist scrawls no refunds on the bill(100% upfront) so you are royally screwed from the first night....

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Beijing, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

Absolutely awful - avoid this place. My wife boooked without checking TA, and it's diabolical. We left a day early because we and our kids couldn't sleep due to the resort beach party until 2.30 am each night. We were as far away as you can get, so I can only imagine what it's like even closer. If you're diving the next day just remember you won't get any sleep here. Of course, no refund for the extra night we paid (but couldn't stay) was available. The pool was constantly in use by dive groups so my kids couldn't swim, there are no sun loungers anyway, the restaurant is closed and not set to open again, there is trash everywhere, the water supply was intermittent, there were large and dangerous holes in the main path, the staff are simply not interested in anything other than your money,and there are stray dogs and cats prowling around. The worst part is, it's not cheap!! Do yourself a favour and find a proper (cheap) doss house, where at least you'll get what you pay for, or just find somewhere else. Even if your sole intention is to go out every night on the lash, you can do much better than this place for your cash.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Steve L

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

This place is obviously for people that haven't read about it on tripadvisor, like we didn't. When we checked in, they kept my wife's passport. Some hotels do that, but it was the first that did on our trip, so I didn't like it but I wondered what could really happen (ominous start). We were given a bungalow, and a price that wasn't too bad on top of it. So far so good.

Then things started to get interesting. The first night, I was taking a shower, and I bumped into the faucet which sticks out around one's knees for some reason. It was so light that I didn't feel any pain, but heard a roaring sound. The faucet and come off and was shooting water out violently into the bathroom. I went quickly to find staff, but at about 11:00 p.m., everything was closed down with no one in sight. I eventually went into a nearby garage that was open, and happened to belong to someone that worked there, so they came and fixed it.

Normally, I might feel very remorseful and want to pay, but it came off SO EASILY that I'm sure it was about to fall off anyways. The owner, we were told, was angry but willing to forgo charging us if we stayed more nights and pay up front. Thinking this was reasonable, we decided to stay for 3 nights and pay up front. Big mistake.

Night number 2, the fan breaks in the middle of the afternoon. This time, we clearly didn't do anything, since it is on the ceiling. Instead of buying a new one, they took until the next day to repair that same one (and also removing the cage cover that prevents the blades from falling on you in case they weren't installed properly). That night, they gave us a room in the adjoining hotel. The bungalows are normally pretty hot, but with the fan they are ok. This hotel room was insanely hot and humid, and the wimpy fan in it did almost nothing to cool us down. It had an A/C, but of course it wasn't running for us. Also, when we entered, the bathroom hadn't been cleaned, and so they asked us to wait 5 minutes while they took the trash out and merely sprayed water (no cleaning materials used) and then said it was ok.

Ok, it couldn't get any worse than that second, sleepless night, we thought. While we were watching a movie on the third night, my wife shrieked as she noticed a GIANT spider on the wall. I had never seen one like that before, except maybe in the movie Arachnophobia, and after I killed it, yet another one showed up.

The spiders aren't exactly their fault, more of a problem with the territory I suppose, but the other stuff was. DO NOT STAY HERE unless everything else is booked. Cheers.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Captain_Mal_52744
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Now that Ko Tao accommodation prices have gone as mental as those on Phi Phi etc, you just get used to paying over the top prices for substandard accomodation. Like the Sunset Buri. I stayed here first over a decade ago and it was clean, well run, and quiet. Now, it's run down, badly run (new owners), and has a beach party playing doof-doof music till 2am every night. The pool is good, the bathrooms are appalling, the service is average, the prices high, and the rooms are grubby. My low point came when I found maggots under my pillow an hour after checking in.

Not much to recommend this hotel, but not too bad if you are stuck for digs.

Room Tip: Get one as far from the beach as possible if you want to sleep. If you want to party, get as close t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

The rooms here are so hot! None of the windows open in any of the rooms, and so at night our room was stifling. The location was good and the pool was great, but the trouble I had sleeping, because of the heat, ruined my stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Okay, here's a balanced review - who it's good for and who it isn't.

For me, a twentysomething backpacker looking for something near to a beach, near to the nightlife and nothing more than a place to put my head down at night - it was perfect.

Staff don't say (or do) a lot, didn't try the food as there are so many places on the doorstep, and the location is bang in the middle of sairee beach.

If you're looking for anything more... it probably isn't for you. It's basic. But if, like me, you just need somewhere to stay on your travels, it's absolutely fine.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

The combination of rude service, bugs in the bed and general uncleanliness meant we checked out about three hours after checking in, and went to stay at O'Chai Bungalows a few metres down the beach instead. Although the pool looks lovely and the location is right on the beach, the staff were not interested in speaking to us, or in cleaning the rooms. There are many other places along Sairee beach that offer great service and are better value.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple