“Fantastic stay”

Saireehut Resort
Ranked #88 of 136 Speciality Lodging in Koh Tao
“Fantastic stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

I travelled around Thailand and stayed in many places but Sairee Hut was one of the best. Lovely staff, clean rooms, nice swimming pool and great location (right on the beach and 2 minutes walk from shops)

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank ameliagyc

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

the good thing is that they pick you up from the ferry pier for free, just contact them one day in advance. The ride to the hotel takes about 15 minutes and gives you a first impression of Koh Tao. As our ferry arrived early the room was not yet available and we were asked to wait in the restaurant first. We chose the outdoor part of the restaurant, meaning chairs and table on the beach with a magnificent look out over the ocean. We had some reasonably priced and quite delicious food. Then our room was ready and that was where the disappointment started. Really old and run down, ancient tv set, dead moscitos on the wall everywhere. Small, too. The bathroom smelly and not very clean. The bed was advertised as a double bed, yet it was a one-and-a-half-bed, only queen size. There is a front porch that is actually quite nice save for the clouds of moscitos. In the evening we discovered that there is no hot water in the shower. After we complained to reception we were told that the standard room does not have hot water. We had booked our stay through hotels.com and funny they did never mention this on their website. Also hotels.com say there are wake up calls available....how would they do it if there is no phone in the room?
After another cold shower in the morning we had the complimentary breakfast, ok for the price and category of the hotel. The beach is not too clean but ok, ocean not suitable for swimming as there is only a small area of sand before the rocks start.
What really put me off is the that they do not care about garbage at all. As you can see from the picture I uploaded there is plastic and glass bottles everywhere. And not from yesterday but from long time ago. It is really disgusting what you find swimming around there and it definitely doesnt make you want to go into the water.
They have a pool, small, nice and clean. At the pool area there are some sunbeds, make sure you come early, otherwise they will be taken. Wifi free everywhere, pool towel free. Restaurant offers good food at good prices, basically same prices you will pay for eating outside.
During our stay housekeeping did never empty the waste baskets in our room.
At the end of our stay the hotel shuttle took us back to the pier again, no charge.
So would I stay there again? No, I am convinced there are much better options available in the same price range

Room Tip: actually I think the rooms in the middle of the hotel area are best. If you stay close to the beach...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

We travelled round Thailand and stayed in quite a few hotels and this was one of our favourites. The standard room we booked was clean, the bathroom was large and we had the all important Air Con! The staff were amazing; they were all so friendly and helpful and cheerful! The hotel is located perfectly on the beach, and just a 1 minute walk away from the main streets, bars and shops. Oh and the pool is fantastic, providing clean towels to use around the pool each day for guests! Excellent value for money.

Room Tip: We did not choose one of the fancy rooms near the pool, but if you are a traveller on a budget you w...
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

splurged on one of the new rooms. very boutique-y. Great pool, the staff take some getting used to - but they get things done in their own way. All friendly, IF you're friendly with them.
Great beach bar to watch the sunsets, great bar man in NAM. He couldn't do enough for us.
Also FIX the dive guy was really helpful about everything.
I recommend it.
Koh Tao is really beautiful.
Have fun.

Room Tip: Splurge on the new rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed in a 'standard' double bed room with AC. Clean, cool, reasonable rates. Moments walk to the beach and the good spots of the little town, but still quiet enough not to be disturbed when you don't feel like downing buckets and jumping over flaming ropes on the beach. Stayed in Bans on same beach but room was a long way up the hill, preferred Sairee Hut. Nice pool too, and not full of diving students like other resorts!

• Stayed April 2013
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

The thing about any hotel is it is all about your expectations. Honestly, for what I expected - this hotel was perfect. I needed a room to sleep in (not there most of the time), with Air Conditioning, and easy accessibility to Sairee Beach and restaurants... hopefully with a pool. This hotel had ALL of that, plus Breakfast. The staff were nice enough (the cleaning staff were actually VERY nice. Did they stock the room with stuff all the time? No, but it took me 10 seconds to track someone down who gave me all the Shampoo and soap we needed.). Was the breakfast a 5 star smorg? No, but it had all I needed to keep me full, plus if they were out of something you just had to ask and they would whip up some more in no time.

Our Air Conditioning broke down one day, and by the time we had asked the Desk staff to have someone there to fix it, and walked the 2 minute walk back to our room - the guy was already in our room fixing it. Our Cleaning staff were so friendly, and were always willing to help with anything we needed. The pool was clean (at least by the standards I was looking for), the only complaint I might have for that is that they have a separate pool just for divers - but for some reason the divers were going in the guests pool... kind of annoying.

Bugs were always found, but again - you are in Thailand on a Tropical Island, and on the beach. Bugs are everywhere. Expectations, people.

All in all, would I go back to the Saireehut Resort? Yes. And that is all that really counts in the end, right?

Room Tip: Would recommend you stay in the cheaper ones off the beach - only because the hotel is close to some...
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2013

My first review in Tripadvisor, because I'm not a complainer but I feel that I was ripped off in this hotel and I hope with my review some will not.

We stayed for 4 nights (prepaid on Agoda). We were a group of friends (5 rooms in total), and I followed their suggestion. We live in Bangkok and we travel at least once a month, and it's the first time that we were treated like that in a hotel that we paid more than $75/night. The staff wasn't friendly, no greeting even if you do, very rude, no eye contact when they talk to you, never available for you, until you go to the bar and you feel like you‘re bothering…

I tried to talk to the manager, and she asked me to show her which staff was rude and what did he say... Kind of confrontation... No way! And when I refused she said that she is sorry she cannot help me if I don't do that... And she added that most of the staff they don’t speak English or Thai (they are Burmese) that’s why they don’t answer the greeting… Seriously? Hi and thank you needs a diplomat? After one day most of the tourist know how to say Sawadee krup and Kup Khon Krup? Conversation stopped after those two reflections…

The room was worn and dirty (at the check in, we find an underwear from the previous guest in our room...). Look at the picture of shower curtain how dirty was. Three of our friends requested to change the room and they had to pay double price for a superior room because it was new and near the beach.
Carful the superior rooms are nice, and next to the beach or with beach view but you cannot sleep until the bars, from each side, will close (at around 2 pm).

The beach/pool area was constantly dirty, till they finish the breakfast and have time to start cleaning it. At 11 AM still the empty bottles and the dirt from the previous night party all over the area. The cushions and the towels are so dirty that I preferred to sit on the sand... Carful when you sit on the plastic chairs… Most of them are in a very bad shape and I saw two guests fallen…

DON'T GO THERE, especially for the price you can get much better even on the beach!

2 Thank Sophiene
beach391, Manager at Saireehut Resort, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
thanks for your comment to our hotel we will check with our staff but I have reason when I asked you which staff? what did they say to you ? if I don't know that I can't say to the right person because we have some staff which is BURMESE who just come to THAILAND at the moment I understand you not happy because of they said NO to you when you take the SHOES up on the pool but may be he said not polite so I wont to know which staff then I can teach him to talk more polite to specially guest.
Also we will clean our pool everyday between 8.00-9.00 am. and put sunbath mattress on terrace and so sorry we don't let people with shoes up on , for clean, no food only drink is ok.
For the room not clean I will check with maid
A nyway thanks a lot for your complain .

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels