“Privacy in most luxurious and unique architecture in the lap of nature, perfect for honeymoon. Go for it!”
Review of View Point Resort

View Point Resort
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We were skeptical of choosing ViewPoint for our honeymoon because of mixed reviews, but thanks to a lot of help and advice from fellow reviewers here, we took the plunge and boy, were we in for a treat!

Me and my wife stayed in ViewPoint Resort in mid February 2012 for our honeymoon. Our stay was in Pool Villa #6 for 2 nights and Pool Villa #4 for 3 nights. I did most of the research myself since there is no tour operator providing packages to Koh Tao from my country (India). Journey to Koh Tao took just a bit more than a day and when we arrived on the Koh Tao pier, VP staff was there to pick us up in a truck. The ride to the resort is via a shortcut which is steep and it takes some skill driving.

On reaching the resort’s reception, we were greeted by a nice lady Ko and were also given a very refreshing drink made of something I can’t remember. But I suggest you ask for a refill.
Then we proceeded to our villas. Let me tell you that they are absolutely amazing. Do not be put off by the low rating of ViewPoint on TripAdvisor on other traveler sites. Most reviews giving low rating/ negative reviews are those of the cottages, which to be honest, I can’t comment upon as I have no experience. But I can speak for the villas. I re-iterate as one of the reviews here said: Villas are breath taking. Do not be skeptical about the villas .We were overwhelmed by the size and maintenance of the villas as soon as we entered. We were sure hooked by those pictures we saw on the website and we were hoping that the actual accommodation is partially as good as they appear on photos. But when we entered the villas we realized that actual accommodation is even more amazing then what it looks on the website. The view of the vast ocean is amazing. If anything was different from photos, it was a little more growth of plants surrounding the pool/ villa from outside. The plus side is that they provide even more privacy, which may not be even desired. But I think if you think you have an issue with the plants, you can request the staff to trim them before your arrival.

Villa 6 has a huge L shape pool. Bedroom and living room are both very comfortable. Bathroom “area” is pretty big as well. Villa 4 is not as big as #6, but it is still bigger than mostly anything else you can find anywhere. Plus the real USPs here are the sunset sala and the open-air shower. The view from the pool and the sunset sala is just stunning. Open-air shower is a special experience. Beware of the lights on the floor of sunset sala. They can get very very hot if operating for a long time. My SO accidentally stepped on it and had a bad burn. It also has a lot of mosquitoes during evening time to ruin your sunset. But mosquito coils provided in the villa take care of them upto some extent.

On the privacy front; I think the pictures are enough. 4 words: Fantabulous and rest assured. There is nothing really you need to be worried about. The beach the villas are facing does not have an active beach so there will be no one there. Only things you can see are ships/ boats passing at a distance. They probably can’t see you.

Rest most things (mini-bar) are similar in both the villas as they as equally priced. Rooms are very clean and beds are clean and very comfortable. You get a fruit basket daily. If you want, you can give the keys at the reception for cleaning the room. The staff won’t even bother you if you don’t ask!

The restaurant is situated a 7-10 min walk down from the villas, which we both enjoyed. The restaurant is on water, having a pleasant feel to it and good ocean views. The food is something we can’t comment upon as we both are strictly vegetarians. So we only had breakfast here as it had some options for vegetarians. Breakfast was always good. Corn flakes with milk, fresh juice and fruit plate and tea/ coffee is what we mostly had. Fresh juices were nice. Only once we had a pizza here for dinner. It was okay. For our other food requirements, we had brought packed vegetarian food from back home. We also went to the near-by market and picked up some supplies like bread, butter, cold drinks and some small gifts etc from the stores like 7-11, Viewpoint store. The market is about 20-30 mins walking distance from the restaurant towards the direction of “Alvaro diving school”.

Though remember that a little wildlife is part of the experience here. You are not going into a concrete built jungle or a multi-storey hotel where you don’t expect to find any insects. The whole idea of the villas is living with the nature. Everything seems to be built on the philosophy of blending with nature. It’s evident everywhere. In the architecture, in the décor. There is no plain cement flooring rather grass, rocks or wooden flooring (bed/ living room). So you really have to know if you really want to live in those surroundings. Me and my wife both are dead scared of insects of ANY kind. We did have a few “incidents”. But we were prepared for it. We expected it. We knowingly went ahead with VP because we knew what we will get and we were okay with it. We wanted to be in midst of nature for our honeymoon (despite both having phobia for insects).

Koh Tao is great for water activities too. Though, we didn’t really explore this aspect much. We only did little snorkeling at Tanote bay and Shark bay. Tanote bay was better. While our walks to and fro from the local market, we saw plentiful diving schools to choose from or rent a motor-bike to see the island. We can’t recommend anything though as, like I said, we didn’t try. You can ask other reviewers here. Many of them have.

I would also like to mention the staff. Since both me and my wife are not really very frequent travelers so we didn’t really have a yardstick to measure the staff. But from our experience we found the staff to be very polite and helpful. Ko and her sister and a sweet little girl “Ta-Ta” and everyone else always served us with a smile. Don’t ask anyone, whether male or female, their age. You won’t believe them. They also taught us a few Thai words. Thanks to all of them for our wonderful stay. When my wife’s foot got burned by the floor light they quickly arranged for a bucket of ice and a cream for first aid.

I did my research for 3 months and I could not find anything similar or even close to ViewPoint in terms of the experience it offers. The combination of unique architecture, huge area, ocean-view private pools, breathtaking views and immense privacy makes it a no-brainer. Especially for honeymooners. You may get other great options too, but I can almost bet that it will be missing alteast one of the attributes mentioned above, most likely the he area. All I can say is we had a really memorable honeymoon, one we will both remember for a long-long time. We don’t think we could have made a better choice for our honeymoon. It was absolutely worth every penny. When we are checking-out we told the staff that we will be coming back after 20 years.

TL;DR: Privacy in most luxurious and unique architecture in the lap of nature, perfect for honeymoon. Go for it!

Room Tip: Any villa would be a no-brainer, except for may be villa #7. Its most expensive and we felt there wa...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mayank S

Reviewed 2 August 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon for three nights in Pool Villa 6. We were picked up by the hotel at the pier (complimentary).

Though I'd mentioned to the hotel several times via email that we would be on our honeymoon, they did nothing special and in fact did not even mention our honeymoon.

We were taken to our pool villa, which was amazing. Very creative architecture, which integrated the natural rock and elements and was quite luxurious. It's an open design to allow you to experience as much nature as you'd like.

Our first night we thought we would go sans air conditioner so we might here the waves crashing below, but quickly changed our minds in the middle of the night after being attacked by mosquitos. However, after closing all the doors and turning on the A/C we were very comfortable and had a great sleep the other two nights.

We ate at the restaurant the first night and were sorely disappointed. The restaurant does not in any way reflect a luxury resort where you pay 10,000 THB a night for the room. We thought we would try it for dinner since the prices were fairly reasonable and it had a rustic look to it. After sitting there for a while though, it looked more dirty than rustic. The portions were very small and when we didn't eat our squid and asked for a new menu to order something more palatable the staff didn't bother asking once if we liked the dish or not. We complained to the lady who runs the resort, but she did not bother taking the 300 THB dish off our bill. Bottom line- stay away from the restaurant!!

It's a real shame this place doesn't have good food. The pool villas were so well thought out, and are so romantic, but even the included breakfast in our villa wasn't very good.

We would strongly recommend the pool villas for a honeymoon or romantic escape, just bring your own food or plan on eating elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeremy O
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We stayed 11 days in the View Point and we were supposed to stay 5... Still, it's not all thanks to the resort because we just felt in love with Ko Tao like many others but we have to say that this place is just great anyway !
For 1200 bahts per night (discount calculated for the 5 initials days, could have more for 11 !), you get a "cottage" in the moutains away from everything with a such perfect view! The moment you wake up and open the blinders of the huge window/door you have in front of your bed is awesome !
The cottages are brand new and you can really smell the wood inside, very pleasant.
I've heard many times by locals it was one of the best value for a luxury resort in Ko Tao.
I think the bad part would be the location, as it's in the mountain, the access might be very difficult by motorbike (with an atv, it's ok) so you have to park near chalok bay and walk. But still the walk is great to do (except at night with all the crabs on the way to your room, they are really everywhere!)

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My wife and I live in BKK and have made many 3 day weekend trips to Koh Tao. We have stayed at View Point many times. We have also stayed at some of the other resorts on the south side of the island when the VP resort is fully booked. There are cheaper and more convieneint resorts but the VP is very unique and we love it. We have witnessed all of the changes in recent years and are awe struck every time we go back. It keeps getting better. Their staff is the best. The same people that greeted us years ago are still there and remember us. Even the ones that don't speak good english or thai, their smile tells you they remember. It is isolated, each villa, bungalow is very private, far away from the party beaches and backpacker bar scene. If that's what you want, this is not the place. Nature and solitude...this is the place.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank mjl_aeh
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The good: staff is very friendly. Bay views are nice. It's quiet and relaxing. Restaurant is good and not too expensive.
Bad: there isn't much of a beach here and the tiny stretch of sand they have is full of trash- I wouldn't even swim in it. Unless you go for a villa with your own private pool, youll need to swim elsewhere. While the staff are nice, you'll need to ask for things that seem obvious- when we arrived, our sink was stopped up full of brown water & we couldn't get the drain open; there were no chairs on our balcony so we begged them to bring us 2 chairs so we could enjoy the ocean view; there was never toilet paper in the restaurant bathrooms; etc. This didn't bother us too much, but if you hate to ask for stuff, then you'll be annoyed.
Overall it's fine for a few days but the website oversells it a bit and if you like to swim near where you stay then good luck!

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank butforthesky
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I would like to give 4½ stars for View Point. My first impression is staffs. Even thought they can't speak 100% Thai or English, but they're truly polite. We lived in V cottage, no air-condition or refrigerator. But we happy with that cottage, 2 fans did their jobs very well. There is a nice restaurant with sea view, but I ordered only Thai food (3-5 USD per dish.) The beach is small but private. There are a lot of corals. I didn't have any problems with insect.
(ps. you can buy an ice bucket to your room if you have your own drink. a small bucket is 20 baht, big bucket 50 baht.)

Cons:
It is so deep. If you want to go outside, you have to walk 10-15mins to get a taxi. Light is not enough on the walk way and also in my room.

Room Tip: it you need TV, do not choose V cottage. we bring our own laptop.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shawn T
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I stayed at the Cottage V which has a large balcony and facing the sea. The room didn't have a TV and a fridge but it's ok for me. The beach in front of the resort is clear and calm. The restaurant is good quality with reasonable price. And the staffs are very very nice. Thank you all again for such good customer service.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple