“Not as good as expected”
Review of View Point Resort

View Point Resort
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We visited View Point in April 2013 staying in the pool villas. We booked View Point as a wedding venue and as a luxury end to our holiday in Thailand.

Overall View Point Resort was disappointing.

Positives:
1. Beautiful setting, away from town and traffic.
2. Very close to nature - which for us was a delight.
3. Staff were generally friendly and helpful.
4. Pool Villas were comfortable and well designed.
5. As a result of our complaints we were given a cash discount.

Negatives:
1. The resort is not finished (as at April 2013). Significant amount of building work being done - paths, roads being laid etc The approach road is very poor and the first impression of the resort is of a rubbish tip.
2. Not really a resort - lacking in infrastructure i.e. No telephone system so only way to ask for room service or obtain assistance was to walk to reception, which was not manned throughout the night. No wifi in the villas or cottages and a very poor signal at reception.
3. 100 metre walk to the beach is very steep and unfortunately the kitchen is near the beach. Breakfast is brought to the villas each day and by the time it had arrived coffee was tepid etc. All food was covered with cling film and this caused the food to 'sweat' - toast was inedible! 4.The food generally was poor - we visited the 'restaurant' only once and it was certainly not 'fine-dining' as described on the website.
5. Website warns of occasional power cuts - we stayed for four nights and experienced a few of these. One occurred during the night and lasted for over 4 hours! With no lights movement around the villas/site was unsafe even with a torch. It was not comfortable walking along the footpaths (at night) which was covered with crabs - and I love wildlife!!!
6. The villas had very little information on display e.g. What do you do in an emergency with no power and no telephone?
7. The resort was VERY expensive in comparison to other hotels in Thailand. There is currently a discounted rate for the villas which range in cost from £170 to £255 per night (normal rates are £255 to £382 per night!!!).

We booked View Point as a wedding venue and as a luxury end to our holiday in Thailand. We had no time to rearrange wedding plans and had paid fully up front. We complained and had a number of meetings with the management which resulted in a substantial refund.

We were very worried that my daughters wedding would be a disaster but the staff were fantastic on the day and it was a great success.

View Point has huge potential but is not at the present time 'a luxurious resort'.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank johnwsbridges

Reviewed 26 May 2013

The resort is a sanctuary of luxury like no other (considering the prices). We stayed at poolvilla 1 and loved every minute. The villa is kept clean and even the leaves between the rocks are picked out daily! This is very important for someone like me who is terrified of any insects and horrified by most bathrooms outside northern europe.

We were on our honeymoon and could not have picked better. We have stayed at other resorts prior to our stay at viewpoint resort, however our poolvilla made the other bungalows we stayed at look like [--] (pardon my language). In addition, the room itself is not only far better but the facilities as well: Clean beach, neat paths, royal service (really, the service is fantastic, friendly and quick, even a bit over the top although we don't mind ofcourse).

If you choose your room, may I suggest the poolvilla as the price is not that high (for Dutch standards that is) and you will be amazed! It looks better than on the website, which I really can't stay for any of the other resorts or hotels visited (we were amazed what those places can do with photoshop).

Finally I would like to recommend the restaurant, for iets excellent service and dreamy location!

It's not like me to be so positive, so a slight negative point is the wifi which is primarily available at the reception and ofcourse we are sad that we did not know about this place sooner! We were informed here that next year there will be a pool and spa as well! What a reason to come back ;-)

Fantastic place and best holiday ever!

Een echte aanrader! Echt super! (In Dutch for all interested from the Netherlands)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This wonderful place is being refurbished at the moment by a very nice English-American couple, Ali and Shawn, so might become more expensive in the future. For the moment it's more than excellent value! The mostly Burmese staff is extraordinary friendly and helpful, the food (breakfast is not included) in the restaurant is great and we stayed for 5 days in a bungalow on the rocks right above the sea, hence the name View Point resort, with wonderful sea views from the balcony. It had no aircon but because it's on a rocky outcrop at the end of the bay there is a constant sea breeze. There's a fan, a mosquitonet above the bed and a spacious bathroom. They have a sort of private beach right beside the resort and if you swim out a little there's nice snorkeling along the rocks. It's within walking distance of the rest of the bay but just far enough not to be disturbed by the loud noise of the 24/7 beach bars....... What more can I say about this lovely place? I can only recommend it and I guess you should just go there and find out for yourself. A big thanks to Ali and Shawn and all the staff!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

I wanted to be in a different place so I booked 2 nights here. When I arrived I realized that the only have pool for villas. I was a little disappointed, but them I tried to book a speed boat and they so friendly but didn't do anything. They recommend me big boat cause supposedly speed boat was to expensive(that is not true). Then I tried to book my ticket going to Chiangmai and they told me I had to go to travel agency to have the tickets, another disappointment. And they told me was open until 10 o'clock , but when I arrived there at 840, was already closed. Then I asked if I could stay more time in the room and they said ok. But today they knock the door and said me I had to leave cause other guests were coming. Resuming was not a good experience. Try another options if you come to koh tao

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank lotrav12
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed in Villa 1 for 2 nights in March 2013. Walking down the pathway and through the outside door was amazing, the first thing you see is your own sparkling pool with a panoramic view of the sea. Everywhere you were in this villa you could see the sea even when you were having a shower you could open up the doors to the view and still remain completely private. The outdoor bathroom was amazing, still covered from above so you didn't have to deal with the weather but you could shower surrounded by beautiful gardens. The bed was the most comfortable we had the whole trip and the pillows were just heaven. Their was so much attention to detail here, with books, CD's & DVD's provided as well as mosquito coils (which you really needed at dusk). We saw a couple of beautiful sunsets from our balcony & we had room service there each night for dinner and breakfast every morning. The only negative thing would be the stairs leading down to the beach and restaurant, hence why we decided on room service so as not to waste time anywhere else when we had the perfect view from our room & a beautiful clean pool just for us. Just don't forget to pack the mossie spray. Would definitely recommend this one.

Room Tip: Definitely recommend Villa 1, we had a quick look at a few others & were offered a free upgrade...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorna G
Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

Had lunch here today food was almost as good as the view intend to have lunch here for the next 3 days extensive menu if you fancy a pizza or pasta it's here but Thai salads stir frys and fish are as good as they get. A bit hard to find via the beach at the end when you turn to the right from ko toa resort. Nice wine by the glass surrounded by flocks of king fishers shoals of leaping fish and the odd sea hawk watching from above a bit of paradise. It is very reasonable so don't forget to tip the wonderful staff

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 6 March 2013

It's actually not that easy to describe this place. We stayed in villa 2 and 4, and while the former is lovely and exactly as described in the photos, villa 4 just blows your socks off. It is the most beautiful space I've ever stayed in and I pondered about not leaving and waiting for them to throw me out by force. The views, the jungle in the bathroom, the yoga sala where you can have your breakfasts delivered to, the round living room with it's funky round sofa, the second outdoor shower overlooking the sea, and then the totally secluded round infinity pool pool...so many highlights. No one can see you apart from the longtail boat operators out at sea and they don't care. The villas are designed around nature and yes, you will see some local creatures if you're lucky. Squirrels, crabs, frogs, birds, ants, they all belong there and I envy them because they on't have to leave.
Viewpoint is not a 5 star resort, so people who think they should get a whole luxury package will be disappointed, but it offers stunningly designed accommodation and very friendly and competent service. The restaurant is lovely, newly built just by the sea, and the food is excellent. My only criticism is that the small beach by the resort could do with a bit of a make over.
We hope to come back soon.

Room Tip: Villa 4 is just stunning.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple