“Do NOT waste you time, money or energy” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of View Point Resort

View Point Resort
Ranked #3 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Ireland
“Do NOT waste you time, money or energy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

Most of the other reviews sum this place up well, but I thought I would just add one, as I left View point "resort" after a 3 night stay feeling completely and utterly taken for a ride.

As the other reviews state, you have a 300m trek from the beach along a pier, through another restaurant, along 2 other small beaches and up 70 steps to the 'V Cottages' There is no hot water ,no air con, very little light, not even a chair to sit on and ZERO service!
After 2 nights we had to walk down and request some clean towels and toilet paper. When I enquired about hot water I was dismissed with a snort! We left laundry in and after 3 days it was finally returned to us still not done, with the excuse that there was no electricity!
It was the most frustrating place I have ever stayed, granted the views are amazing and the lay out of the accommodation is nice, but the unbelievably bad service and lack of amenities left me feeling completely ripped off.
Our final night in Koh Tao we stayed down near the pier in a clean air con, hot water bungalow in for a fraction of the price.

Don't waste your energy or time going to this "resort"

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Flashpacker123

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
kaleid
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2009

One of the worst value place I’ve ever slept in my three years in Thailand, this erroneously self-styled “resort” is bare bones. We stayed in their $45 bungalow and discovered only after check-in (and paying the obligatory non-refundable 50% down payment online) that our bungalow consisted of a broken fan and a bed with a mosquito net (which won’t prevent you from becoming a mosquito pin cushion thanks to the many decorative stagnant pools strewn about the grounds). No hot water, no A/C, no fridge, tv, internet or even a chair. The 40 watt lights are so dim at night you need a flashlight to read, which beside swatting at insects is the only thing you can do here for entertainment. The “resort” itself consists only of a restaurant area and most of the staff appeared to be Burmese immigrants speaking neither English nor Thai. We should have saved our money and camped on the beach in a tent for the same amenities (although the rooms were nicely decorated). Accessing the place was a nightmare as well, as it can only be reached by walking 300 m down an uneven unimproved rocky sandy coastline through ramshackle construction sites - if you are bringing a suitcase, as we were, it was like dragging a kitchen appliance a quarter mile up a mountain. And that was after having to pay 200 baht for a 5 min songtew ride from the main town. For the privilege of trying to shorten our stay by three days to see Samui Island, they wanted to charge us a another $75 fee! It ended up making more economic (and common) sense to remain checked in, leave our suitcase behind, and check into a second cheaper place on Samui (with hot water and A/C!) for the last two nights. The one and only bright spot was that they served very tasty food at the restaurant. Unless you are traveling in a large group carrying backpacks and can afford the $220 pool villa, take my advice and give this pretentious overpriced place a pass, or just here for dinner.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kaleid
York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

I think other reviews have summed it up fairly, the views and design of the rooms is great but the isolation (10 minute walk unlit across a beach and rocks) soon becomes ver ywearing and I found the service here to be lousy.
The pick up from the ferry for myself and another couple didn't happen, we had to ring and chase them to come (after 30 mins) and despite asking for a taxi lift back my bags were dumped at the end of the beach and it was left to me to find a taxi to get back to the ferry. The rooms were never cleaned in my 3 days there and were showing signs of wear and tear (very holed mosquito net, windows not fitting in the frames). The rooms are pricey considering there is no hot water and no aircon (which is a real pain, the rooms never cool down) and for the rate there is far better quality accomodation available on the island.
HOWEVER the view is amazing, sitting on the balcony (I stayed in a V cottage) day or night was a wonderful memorable experience, and for that reasona lone you might want to consider a short stay here. Anything more than 48 hrs I would personally look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Stokie_on_tour
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

I'm trying my best to put this together. Viewpoint resort is a place for you if you don't mind the wilderness. Not much luxury there, there's no safety deposit box, minibar, wifi or even TV. The room looks good but you will be frequently visits by bugs, spiders and lizards. Also, it is situated up in the hills. So by getting there, you will be riding in the Resort's pick up truck (SUV). And it's the bumpiest ride I've ever been to. The road was made partially - part of it was done but most was still a forest full of rocks. So you either walk (which is really far) to the resort or take the bumpy ride.The best thing about Viewpoint is the most amazing view of the beach. The room service is good too. This will be ideal for honeymoon couples who like to stay in and not coming out at all. My suggestion will be : If you want to stay here, choose the room with A/C. It's really hot and not airy. Even with 2 fans blowing some air, it's still hard to sleep at night. Also, prepare yourself for a really long walk every day.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2009

Positives:
-Yes. the beautiful views, waking up to the wall of beautiful sea b/c you are so high up.
-The staff in the restaurant are extremely courteous polite, friendly & helpful.
-the secluded location
-Breakfast in the restaurant is gourgeous/lunch and dinner is good.

Negatives:
-the website is a bit misleading, and makes the place look much more modern/well kept than it is.
-the location is in Chalok Baan Kao, where it is UNswimmable. the water is much dirtier than close beaches, and is a main point where dive boats come in and out.
-yes. to get to Viewpoint you have to walk a bit through a dirty beach and through an outdoor restaurant bar, taking your flipflops off & on. Not exactly what you look forward to when you're exhausted from swimming and trekking all day.
-The staff is helpful, but the main managers arent as friendly, and treat you as if "its business as usual" type of vibe.

-Personal story:
I am 30 yrs. old Filipina-American. Photographer. Traveled quite extensively in asia(and western world), and especially the Philippines. So I am used to new cultures, assimilating, and also how to enjoy a few days in a tropical paradise. My itinerary was a few days in bangkok for work/leisure exploring, and 5 days off to go visit a nice quiet island. First time in Thailand. First things first, DO NOT TRAVEL IN HIGH SEASON TO ISLANDS IN THAILAND. Unless you want to be completely culture shocked NOT by the actual country of Thailand but to the mundanity world of Westerners that travel to a beautiful place like Thailand to put a trophy up on their wall to say "they PARTY'ed there!". It is NOT the time or atmosphere to be around chill travelers looking for a nice quiet secluded place and NEITHER the time to find some communal fun time with like minded people.

The boats to get to Koh Tao are completely packed and the vibe level is NOT comfortable. If I didnt meet the cool Thai dive instructors, I would have wanted to turn back forsure.

Viewpoint Resort, is very secluded and nice. I stayed in the bungalow V3. the amazing view is wonderful to wake up to and to put you to sleep. It is VERY minimal, yes you clean yourself (they leave a nice broom and trashcan), its all what you need since you spend most of your time on your scooter visiting the island and amazing beaches, and/ or diving. Make sure to wear a bit of insect repellent all the time if mosquitoes love you! The bungalows are situated within much plants and greenery so there of course are insects. But this is pretty obvious for a tropical island. Breakfast in the morning of fresh fruit, meusli, honey and a mango shake was AMAZING every morning @ 7am. (and also have a very extensive menu as well) the staff is wonderful, though as mentioned b4 the male manager isnt as friendly and you very much notice a heirarchy of some sort.
My only personal MAJOR complaint of this resort which will NEVER make me come back again was a fiasco I fell into when I was checking out to pay for my stay. IF YOU WANT TO PAY WITH A CREDITCARD yo must go to a supermarket in the small village that a staff member brings you to, and deal with a mean woman. This woman, b/c of a misshap with my credit card, [-] with me so much b/c i didnt know they DO NOT TAKE AMEX (HOW you are supposed to know this? Im not sure) Instead of alleviating the problem, she took my passport and continuously yelled at me --I missed my boat back to Koh Samui, and my flight back to Bangkok. It took 3 hours to fix the problem, where in the end THEY DO take AMEX but she decided to take it out on an innocent visitor (myself) that Amex charges a small fee and takes 48 hrs. to go through. As if this wasnt enough, She ended up scamming me an extra fee for my Amex and as I said I missed my connections. There were NO apologies. She works at the Viewpoint Supermarket (which OVERPRICES their goods compared to the very nice and friendly Sunshine market RIGHT next door). She is about 5'6 with long black hair, dark brown skin. When you see her face you will know its her. Evil. She is a scammer, and an incredibly horrible woman that also mistreats her employees. She normally sits as the main cashier. B/c of this, I realize with the amount of Baht you are paying in US dollars (1500 baht for a bungalow=$44 a bit pricey for Thailand) once thinking it was "alright" for the views and etc, you realize with this kind of treatment it is COMPLETELY out of the ordinary "travel misshaps" and NOT worth it. After being around quite a bit, i was completely in shock this even happened!
If you DO want to stay in koh Tao (even though it says it is one of the most secluded islands in thailand though it is completely tourist-infiltrated) My suggestion is to stay in Sai Daeng (just one beach further from Chalok, right around the next cove) where you can stay in similar bungalows but are able to jump right into the beautiful waters in the morning/anytime. Or in Ao Leuk a little bit further in the next cove over, where it is VERY secluded and the beach is really remarkable and with some waves. I truly wish I knew a little more b4 I left. SO I hope this review really helps someone that has looked at Viewpoint Resort's website and was starting to become wow'ed and mislead a bit.

The unfortunate thing I experienced with Thailand being a tropical paradise for travelers, is b/c it has been SO VERY infiltrated with heavy tourism, at least for me in the southern islands I visited in a short time---the environment becomes less about Thailand and its wondrous and innate beauty, than a place constructed for western tourists. There is something really lost that was quite sad and a bummer. If there are places such as [-] in bangkok, then I just happned to choose the wrong destinations in the south, this time around. Hope this is helpful.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank GraciaTV
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2009

The pool villa was outstanding with a wonderful bathroom and plunge pool. The staff was very helpful and attentive. The only downside were the mosquitoes around the outdoor dining area. The restaurant was also of very good quality and excellent value.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

We stayed for 4 nights at Viewpoint's luxury pool villas. It has good and bad points and some things you should know before you go so thought it about time I contributed to Trip Advisor rather than just take away info!

Viewpoint "Resort" is not really a resort (no public pool) but certainly not a hotel either. Located in a hard to reach place for vehicles on Koh Tao (but they offer transfer service for arrival & departure so not problem). And it is only a 15min walk around the bay to Chalok Bay Beach, shops & transport. It has it's own (public) beach area too and it is nicer than the main beach area.

Viewpoint is located on a cliffside with bungalows and pool villas up and down the hill. The view is lovely, particlarly from the pool villas. Viewpoint has several different (cheaper) bugnalow categories and then the pool villas.

There are currently 2 pool villas but there is a 3rd being built. The pool villas are gorgeous, clean, fresh, comfortable and the pool is a reasonable size with a beautiful panorama. By sight the pool villas would certainly score very highly, they are fantastic However by staying in them we realised it wasn't 100% perfect...
* We stayed in Villa 2. The Villa itself is fantastic BUT - Villa 3 is currently (Jan09) being built next door so you have noise and workers close by (not so private or peaceful) from 730am-530pm. This was a real "downer" for us as we had hoped for a peaceful and private villa. Of course once Villa 3 is built I don't think there will be a problem as it is far enough away if guests are staying in it but too close when being constructed. However the biggest problem with Villa 2 is the noise you hear in the bedroom from the 2 villas above you on the cliff. They are definitely far enough away and can't see in but for some reason the noise made on their balconies amplifies to the bedroom, it is as if someone is standing in your room talking to you (yet they are 15m up the cliff)! The odd thing is you can't hear them from the outside, only inside the room. For these 2 reasons I would recommend you ask for Villa 1 (although I didn't actually see inside it).
* We had a big problem with no water for 2 days. However this does happen all over Koh Tao and it did get fixed.
* The other negative (which could be turned into a positive) is that there seemed to be a person whose job it is to look after the villas, i.e. will bring breakfast, take orders for other meals and deliver etc. However there are no instructions as to what exactly they are there for. Breakfast is included (and it is substantial and good) but we didn't know that until the attendant walked in at 12noon asking if we wanted anything. So that was a nice surprise but unfortunately the girl didn't really speak English so we couldn't ascertain what her role was exactly. But hey, we don't speak Thai so... But it was a bit uncomfortable as she always seemed to be hovering around the villa and we didn't really know what she wanted. But that is probably just a minor staff/management then communication with guest issue that is an easy fix. If you plan on staying in a pool villa here the tip is to shut the gate from the inside until you are ready for your room being cleaned (there are no do not disturb signs, would help a lot!). When you want something just go to her at the top of the stairs - she has menus up there and you can point at what you want. Breakfast is included and is great but if you want it really hot then just go down to the restaurant!

Other tips - there is a dvd player with limited dvds, a music CD or cords for your ipod would be good. There is a fridge with soft drinks & beer (no prices but the beer was 50bhat, not too bad but obviously cheaper if you buy from a market). There are tea/coffee making facils. They give you a fruit basket each day.

I don't wish to complain too much as the villas were great but perhaps the service or management could be better and something definitely needs to be done about the noise from the higher bungalows into Villa 2. Wasn't too peaceful and "at harmony with nature" having a crying child at 7am every day (from the above villa) then the workers starting at 730am.

The restaurant at Viewpoint is in a great location viewwise and is very reasonably priced and good food with a large menu. This satisfies the people staying there very well as it would be too much hassle to have to walk to nearest (20mins) restaurant for each meal.

• Liked — Design of villa, view from villa, restaurant
  • Disliked — the noise from construction & other bungalow
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple