“Great bungalows, terrible service”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Blue Wind Bakery and Resort
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Oslo, Norway
“Great bungalows, terrible service”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We really liked staying at Blue Wind. It's right at the beach and the bungalows are small and charming. Not very clean though, but perfect for backpacker standard. However the service was terrible! Most of the staff was really rude, especially a female receptionist who yelled at us because we disagreed with her about our payment when we checked out. I would return, but that is only for the location and the peaceful, charming, but simple bungalows.

Room Tip: Room 1-5 have wifi from the resturant
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We had booked at another resort just to find that there was construction right in front of our bungalow! So at 5PM we walked along the beach and found Blue Wind. We got a nice, big room (second floor) almost right on the beach, for 40$. Clean, AC was working OK. We stayed 4 night. Very ok. Although, the mattress had many springs :( but we slept well

Room Tip: Second floor room was perfect just behind the bakery. Nice balcony.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Trieste
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

I have to be honest: I'd better book in advance next time. When I arrived in Koh Tao, I had some bad feelings and I wasn't finding a room anywhere. So, when I arrived here -as it was reccomended by my guide- I thought I was lucky.
They didn't give me a bungalow, but a room in a old building, dirty and full of mosquitos at night (normally I don't care about them, here they freaked me out). The staff was unfriendly and cared just about money. When I wanted to do a snorkelling tour (that was a good experience, not organized by them), they gave me no assistence when the operator were late.
This said, the restaurant of the beach is good, their staff is more friendly. Also, the bungalows looked good, so perhaps the main problem is they shouldn't give old rooms, or make pay them less.

• Stayed February 2013

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Snowy Mountains, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My girlfriend and I just stayed at the Blue Wind Resort for 4 nights in the 800 baht/night bungalow that is situated above the reception (room 35).

We arrived in Koh Tao without any booking and simply hired a scooter at the closest place at the pier where the ferry docked (180 baht / day). We rode our scooter straight to Saree Beach for a look around and door knocked a few places to check out their rooms. Prices ranged from 800 baht - 4800 baht. The Blue Wind was our 5th place we checked out and we took a quick look at the room and said yes.

I have read the other reviews and I can only assume they did not have a look at their room prior. I know that for 800 baht / night is a pretty reasonable price for our fan room.

- YES there are mozzies around the place and as usual they come out at dawn and dusk just like every other place in the world, get over it kids.
- YES there are some little ants that crawl around the place (we had a couple in our shower area) again this is pretty standard for living in the tropics.
- YES the staff do struggle to bust out a smile but I'm not sure why.
Anyway - the room itself was a decent size and the pedestal fan is more than sufficient to keep things cool under the mozzie net.
**Hot Tip ----> You can move the fan itself actually UNDER the mozzie net so that it does not inhibit the flow of air which is something some other reviewers could not seem to figure out.

The bed is a typical Asian hard mattress bed but we had no problems sleeping. The bathroom is 'wet floor' so the drain is in the corner next to the toilet, keep an eye on your shower aim and you wont soak anything as its still a decent size. All our doors locked up without any issues and we would open the side window/doors in the afternoon paired up with a mozzie coil and it was very pleasant. We were located above the bakery so there was a bit of crashing around in the mornings when the bread was being prepared but it did not really disturb us (earplugs are easily purchased at the 7/11 down the road if need be).

The room was not made up or anything but when we required more toilet paper and towels it was easy enough to pop downstairs and simply ask.

The restaurant is pretty decent, nice basic set up and the food was fresh and well priced. Wifi is available down there but not in your rooms. Good luck getting a smile or a laugh out of any of the staff without having to really push for it.

Location is great! Literally a 2 minute stroll down the road to the bars and restaurants, close enough to stroll but not too close to hear any noise from the bars etc. Apart from the occasional noisy ute with the speakers blasting out some crap about Thai elections we did not have any issues with noise.

Overall - this place suited us very well for our requirements. Basic accommodation and probably pushing it a bit to call it a 'Resort' but for the price we paid I was very happy with it all. I would come back to Koh Tao as its a great island and I would not hesitate to stay at the Blue Wind again in Bungalow 35.

Room Tip: New bungalows next to reception are the shot
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HAR0
Reviewed 16 January 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Koh Tao only planning on being there for a week. As is commonly the case on the island, it's possible to lose days swinging in a hammock and lying on the beach. This most certainly happened to me as I ended up staying for almost a month. I had the cheapest bungalow at the resort and yes there were cockroaches, Mosquitos, cobwebs and you had to manually flush the toilet but it was by far the cheapest bungalow on that part of the island and all I wanted was somewhere to sleep and be able to walk to the beach in less than 20 seconds. I certainly got this and more! The restaurant is lovely with fresh bread and cakes baked daily and the Burmese owners are absolutely delightful. It may take a few days for them to warm to you but they are certainly much more friendly than the Thai gangsters on the rest of the island. Also it's a fair comment that you have to ask for your bungalow to be cleaned but seriously it's not difficult to just ask for a towel when you need one and new bed sheets and DIY. I have given it 5 in all the ratings because its really worth staying here not only for the wonderful hosts but it's location. I spent many days swinging in my hammock overlooking the beach and it is far enough (5mins walk) from some of the noisier places that you can have a really good chillax here. Also they do movie nights upstairs in the restaurant and they let you chose what to watch and when you want to watch it.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Ameiby1823
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 8 January 2013

This review is based solely on the yoga studio. I have no comment for the resort itself. But I was walking by and saw signs for yoga. It was great. Its a nice and large studio with open doors on 2 walls. The instuctor Cynthia was great. It was a 2 hr session very doable for beginners but options to challange yourself.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank littlelola123
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 December 2012

I've stayed at Blue Wind for 3 nights in december with a friend. We had one of the new (fan) bungalows with hot shower and paid 800 baht per night for the two of us.

Location was perfect, at te beach, with nightlife, restaurants and shops within walking distance (2 min). Yet far away enough not to be bothered by it.

Bungalow was very spacious and clean, no comments there.

Reception, and therefore acces to safety lockers, closes at six so you have to keep that in mind but that wasn't really a problem for us.

If I would ever return to koh Tao I would definitely go back to Blue Wind