“Worst service ever - don't go here”
Review of Blue Wind Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Blue Wind Resort
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
“Worst service ever - don't go here”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Once we got to the hotel this
Morning, the guy at the reception wan't too friendly. We got the bungalow on the beach which was nice. When we went for a drink early in the evening at Blue Wind bar, the waiter wouldn't even look at us while getting our order. When we decided to have a cocktail later on (9.45pm), the same waiter reluctantly offered is a menu when we kept asking. Once we got our drinks, all pillows were taken from outside and all lights were shut off. There were still a handful of people enjoying their drinks! We had to knock on doors to ge the light turned on again. We're gonna leave in the morning. If you're looking for a friendly smile and hospitality, please don't go to Blue Wind.

• Stayed June 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Some people tend to think that despite paying £12-£20 a night they should get a 5 star experience. The point is that good, basic, affordable accommodation is just that.

My wife and I stayed here with some friends last week. Like many we read the guidebooks and headed here from the ferry without having booked first.

We opted for an air-con room as we'd had a few days without air con and so wanted a cooler nights sleep. The hotel wanted 1400 baht for the room but we got a reduction of £10 over the two nights so in essence it was £24 a night, £12 each. Our friends paid 700baht a night and were generally happy with their rooms.

Our balcony (1st floor) was covered in leaves but then again it was within the tree canopies so what else would I expect? The room was ok, generally clean, good sized bed (I'm 6ft 3") although the bathroom wasn't brilliant, very tired and the shower didn't really stay in any one place.

The food was nice, good value (many dishes under 100 baht) in the restaurant which is on the beach. The wifi is ok, sometimes slow, sometimes fine service very relaxed. By relaxed I mean it can take a while to get noticed but hey, you're on a beach in Koh Tao so you're hardly in a rush, right?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cookstardeluxe
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 14 May 2013

On my last trip, I covered 3 countries in 60 days. And I spent a week at the blue wind resort. During my travels, the service at this 'resort restaurant' is the worst I have seen. It may take my prize for being the worst service I have ever seen anywhere.
In a restaurant with 2 customers and 6 wait staff one might expect prompt service. But if you're at the Blue Wind you will be greatly disappointed. The wait staff all sit at a picnic table and tell jokes or push each other around. And while your trying to get a menu they dance while you wait. Mind you, I walked 2 feet away from them on my way to my table. They saw me sit down, but that didn't seem important to them.

When they do show up at your table there is no eye contact, or greeting. The menu is handed to you and they walk away. Good luck trying to get them back to your table so you can place your order. They just seem totally disinterested in performing their duties.

During one meal I requested a second cup of coffee. The waiter seemed overwhelmed at the request. He then walked back to the kitchen area. He reappeared 10 minutes later, with my coffee in hand, while still chewing his meal that he had just eaten. I'm not making this up.

And then there are the flies. While eating a meal at the 'resort' you will be swatting 6 or 7 flies off your legs, arms, head, and food. They are persistent. Other restaurants in the area use fans to keep them away, but not the Blue wind.

I love bakeries, and I was looking forward to getting fresh baked goods from the Blue wind. But the only bakery goods I saw there was white rolls and some buns. That was the entire 'bakery'.

The Blue wind was a total ripoff. It's not as advertised,. The food is average at best. Simple Thai soup comes to you with half cooked ingredients.
If you go there to eat you'll be greatly disappointed. Mark my words.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank John C

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Ate here on Songkran and we had a really good Thai Curry and brown rice with pineapple.
Great location directly on the beach and very reasonable prices! (Both under 100 bath)
Can highly recommend that restaurant!

• Stayed April 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Stayed here with a friend after we stayed nearby in the (expensive) Sairee Hut Resort our first night in Kao Tao. We walked the beach looking at different places and were impressed by the look of the bungalows here. Most of them are newer and have a modern/simple look from the outside -- much nicer and cleaner than some other more rickety bungalows that were even more expensive down the beach, and with our own patio which was quite nice to have a few beers on before going out. The room was quite nice with a comfortable bed, great ceiling fan, and very large and clean bathroom. The reviews are right that there are MANY mosquitos, which worried me our first night, but we (both very allergic and unusually attractive to mosquitos) bought several coils at the big shop on the main street and it immediately took care of the problem. They also have pretty lights strung in the trees, which makes for a very charming and relaxing vibe to the property.

We had breakfast or beers at the beachfront cafe every day, and it was one of my favorite places to just hang out or check internet. The food is mediocre, but they play very relaxing beachy or jazz music, which is a very nice change of pace to the party music at most other spots on the beach.

Internet is only available at the restaurant, which was a bit of a frustration, but it ensured I was always watching the sea while writing emails. :)

Service here is awful as stated but it was the same surly attitude that we experienced throughout Kao Tao and Kao Samui. For whatever reason, the staff at the islands were infinitely less helpful than in other parts of Thailand and SE Asia.

The bungalows are all differently priced and very different in size and structure -- ask to see your room before getting one. Also definitely arrive as early as possible to get your room. Most of the smaller properties on Kao Tao will not allow you to prebook (even 24 hours in advance we were told to come back tomorrow to be sure), and we got the last room only to see at least 4 other people come in within 30 minutes to try and get one.

Location is GREAT -- about halfway down the beach making it easy to get to the bars and restaurants on either side, and very close to the 7-11 intersection (main intersection in "town").

Overall, not what I would normally call a 4-circle property, but it is an incredible value (we paid about $20 usd for one of the nicest budget accommodations I had), thus making it very good if you are a budget traveller seeking somewhere nice!

Room Tip: The bungalows are all differently priced and very different in size and structure -- ask to see your...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We really liked staying at Blue Wind. It's right at the beach and the bungalows are small and charming. Not very clean though, but perfect for backpacker standard. However the service was terrible! Most of the staff was really rude, especially a female receptionist who yelled at us because we disagreed with her about our payment when we checked out. I would return, but that is only for the location and the peaceful, charming, but simple bungalows.

Room Tip: Room 1-5 have wifi from the resturant
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We had booked at another resort just to find that there was construction right in front of our bungalow! So at 5PM we walked along the beach and found Blue Wind. We got a nice, big room (second floor) almost right on the beach, for 40$. Clean, AC was working OK. We stayed 4 night. Very ok. Although, the mattress had many springs :( but we slept well

Room Tip: Second floor room was perfect just behind the bakery. Nice balcony.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends