“Restaurant: food good. But it takes a while untill you get it. The service is horrible.”
Review of Blue Wind Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Koh Tao
Blue Wind Resort
Ranked #38 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

We visited the restaurant. The location and the restaurant itself looks inviting. But already when we sat down, the waitress gave us the menu without a word. As she took the order she still didnt tell anything more than she has too. Then is was very loud bacause they were checking the speaker and they always switched the music on and off. Then my boyfriend got his meal. Then they (a hotel man) decided to watch a movie, and they turned the volume on to overhear the music. We decided to change the table, we went out where we only here the music. i was still waiting as my boyfriend started to eat. It tooks around 40 minutes (after the order) even there were 4 in the kitchen and only the two of us and another cuple. I ordered a thai meal, not that difficult. My waitress was watching the movie and all 10 minutes she walked down to check if the food was ready. With my meal she also brought the bill but without calculating the total.. Then we gave her the money a bit more the amount. For her unluck she was too lazy to calculate, thats why she perhaps oversaw the rice and we paid less.

Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Only planned on staying on koh tao a few days but ended up falling in love with the island and stayed for nearly a week. Blue Wind was an amazing to stay. Well priced huts seconds from a tranquil section of the beach but only minutes away from sairee village and active nightlife. And the food was incredible. We at at least a meal a day there switching selection every time without disappointment. They attempted to claim we had unpaid food bills at checkout but did not force it when we asserted they were not ours.

• Stayed July 2013
United States
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Good thing (singular) first - the setting for this place is ideal - right on the beach. But that is the ONLY good thing here and there are actually plenty of other places which offer that.
The bungalows are okay - super basic but comfortable bed - at a price which would buy you a fair level of comfort or even luxury anywhere else in Thailand.
On arrival there appears to be a price list which lists options from 350 baht upwards. I was told only the 700 baht rooms were available. However, in my several days of staying here I never met anyone who had a lesser priced room so where are they? Do they exist? Is this how they tempt people in here?
The staff here are the worst of anywhere I have encountered in Thailand. Island and peninsula Thailand is typically not as warm and friendly as elsewhere but here they take it to a whole new level. You can sit in the restaurant for ages while what appears to be an excess of staff members sit about reading, texting or wandering aimlessly. Eventually you manage to get a menu (you would think that you had just asked for their entrails on a plate!) but good luck placing an order. You could starve to death first. Even this would be no problem if when you did get service it came with a smile instead of a grunt or a scowl. You are left feeling very very very unwelcome. The food is very ordinary when it does arrive.
Stay here only if you have no other option and you have a very thick skin - horrible place but first place award for the worst service in Thailand.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Deneice A

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Niederau, Austria
Reviewed 20 June 2013

arrived in koh tao and just wondered about looking for a spot to stay. receptionist was bad news all over. so unfriendly. needs a slap. rooms were pretty sweet,and bathroom clean,cant complain about that.restaurant had some nice food. was only in koh tao for 2 days,next time i would look elswhere on the island. location was central but not my type of area.i more like the chilled out areas with not so many tourists and nicer beaches.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Once we got to the hotel this
Morning, the guy at the reception wan't too friendly. We got the bungalow on the beach which was nice. When we went for a drink early in the evening at Blue Wind bar, the waiter wouldn't even look at us while getting our order. When we decided to have a cocktail later on (9.45pm), the same waiter reluctantly offered is a menu when we kept asking. Once we got our drinks, all pillows were taken from outside and all lights were shut off. There were still a handful of people enjoying their drinks! We had to knock on doors to ge the light turned on again. We're gonna leave in the morning. If you're looking for a friendly smile and hospitality, please don't go to Blue Wind.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Some people tend to think that despite paying £12-£20 a night they should get a 5 star experience. The point is that good, basic, affordable accommodation is just that.

My wife and I stayed here with some friends last week. Like many we read the guidebooks and headed here from the ferry without having booked first.

We opted for an air-con room as we'd had a few days without air con and so wanted a cooler nights sleep. The hotel wanted 1400 baht for the room but we got a reduction of £10 over the two nights so in essence it was £24 a night, £12 each. Our friends paid 700baht a night and were generally happy with their rooms.

Our balcony (1st floor) was covered in leaves but then again it was within the tree canopies so what else would I expect? The room was ok, generally clean, good sized bed (I'm 6ft 3") although the bathroom wasn't brilliant, very tired and the shower didn't really stay in any one place.

The food was nice, good value (many dishes under 100 baht) in the restaurant which is on the beach. The wifi is ok, sometimes slow, sometimes fine service very relaxed. By relaxed I mean it can take a while to get noticed but hey, you're on a beach in Koh Tao so you're hardly in a rush, right?

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cookstardeluxe
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 14 May 2013

On my last trip, I covered 3 countries in 60 days. And I spent a week at the blue wind resort. During my travels, the service at this 'resort restaurant' is the worst I have seen. It may take my prize for being the worst service I have ever seen anywhere.
In a restaurant with 2 customers and 6 wait staff one might expect prompt service. But if you're at the Blue Wind you will be greatly disappointed. The wait staff all sit at a picnic table and tell jokes or push each other around. And while your trying to get a menu they dance while you wait. Mind you, I walked 2 feet away from them on my way to my table. They saw me sit down, but that didn't seem important to them.

When they do show up at your table there is no eye contact, or greeting. The menu is handed to you and they walk away. Good luck trying to get them back to your table so you can place your order. They just seem totally disinterested in performing their duties.

During one meal I requested a second cup of coffee. The waiter seemed overwhelmed at the request. He then walked back to the kitchen area. He reappeared 10 minutes later, with my coffee in hand, while still chewing his meal that he had just eaten. I'm not making this up.

And then there are the flies. While eating a meal at the 'resort' you will be swatting 6 or 7 flies off your legs, arms, head, and food. They are persistent. Other restaurants in the area use fans to keep them away, but not the Blue wind.

I love bakeries, and I was looking forward to getting fresh baked goods from the Blue wind. But the only bakery goods I saw there was white rolls and some buns. That was the entire 'bakery'.

The Blue wind was a total ripoff. It's not as advertised,. The food is average at best. Simple Thai soup comes to you with half cooked ingredients.
If you go there to eat you'll be greatly disappointed. Mark my words.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo