“Perfect for beach or pool stay”

Koh Tao Montra Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
“Perfect for beach or pool stay”
Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

Loved this hotel, beautiful three tiered pool, no fight for sun beds, and short walk to all the action at Sairee beach. Young man on the front desk was incredibly polite and helpful, breakfast was average, it seems that if you get up too late there is not much left! Rooms are very nice and comfortable with lovely clean bathrooms. The hotel offer a free shuttle to the pier which was handy and only a short distance away. Overall a very nice hotel which is near the action but away from the bustle of Sairee beach at night. I would recommend and return!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deano H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Glasgow
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We arrived in Ko Tao having booked accommodation at Wind Resort through Booking.com. Confusion reigned at Wind Resort so I decided to see what else was available nearby. Using various online means I discovered that, for not much more money, we could stay at Montra. I went to check it out, knowing that a a twin room would 2000 bhat a night, advertised on both third party websites and their own. I spoke to the young gentleman at reception and asked if he had any twin rooms available. They did, but it would be 3000 bhat a night. I told him I'd seen it advertised on their own website for 2000 per night. He suggested I might have been looking at an 'old website'! When I mentioned I could book through a third party and receive a cheaper rate he told me that they would take my money but not be able to give me a room. The guy was clearly trying to rip me off. A shame as the place looked ok. All things turned out ok though as in the end we went to the Regal round the corner, much nicer and only 1700 bhat a night! Result. As they say in Scotland, "get it right up ya!"

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Lord Forbes

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Budapest
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Our guests book a room for two nights at this hotel but unfortunately there is an accident that they cannot make it there for one night. So, we tried to negotiate for a 1 night refund at the hotel but the operator said cannot. Then we asked for an upgrade, they also said cannot because of the full occupancy. Our guests understood well about this, so they wonder if they can have an early check-in, which should be possible because they book 2 nights, and missed 1 night out already. So, the room should be there for them. The operator just made a very wrong decision by saying,

"No, your guests cannot do the early check in. They can check in at 12. The room they miss for one night is our responsibility, not yours. If we have a walk-in guest, we will sell the room. Your responsibility finishes when the guests leave your hotel. What we'll decide to do with your guests doesn't concern your matter. If you want to talk, please contact our owner."

"Could you transfer to the owner, please?"

"No"

"Can I talk to the Front Office Manager?"

"We don't have. Contact our owner if you want to reserve the missing night for your guest by email."

"and when will your owner contact us back, because the guests will leave to you tomorrow?"

"when the owner is free and finishes all other jobs"

"Do you have the owner's number?"

"Cannot tell you"

"...... ok, but this case, you do not refund the missing night and why can't the room be reserved for our guests to do the early check in when they already have to pay for 2 nights?"

"It's our hotel policy, we all have different policies for each hotel. You understand this point or not? Alright. (hung up the phone)"

Truly cannot understand for this small issue that they really don't know how to manage or service with the service mind. Yes the hotel might look pretty, but the service is truly ugly how the operator, which is the hotel's representative, talks or services to their guests.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Bubi P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I stayed in the Motra Hotel, Ko Tao Mae Haad earlier this year. I stayed from around 4th January - 12th. I was only intending on staying here for 5 days, but i loved it so much that i didnt want to leave. The rooms are immaculate, always kept clean, the rooms are massive so are the beds. The foos was realy good, you can get room service. My favourite was the massaman curry, one of the best i had in thailand! The staff were so friendly and helpful. I got really sick on the morning i had to catch my boat and leave, the staff were amazing, they gave me tablets to make me feel better and even packed my bags for me and escorted me to the port (which is only round the corner). Sairee beach is about a 10 minute walk down the road which isnt a problem, i was really happy with the location. The pool is lovely and always kept clean and the private beach is beautiful. This hotel is very peaceful, there werent many children around and i truly felt like i was in paradise when i laid by the pool or beach. All in all this place pretty much made my holiday as i had previously had some horrible experineces in thailand!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Roxieeeee
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Stayed here from the 4th to the 11th July 2012 and generally, the hotel is excellent! I use the word generally simply because in one or two aspects, the hotel could do with improvements which will be covered later on in the review. Location wise it is about six of one and half a dozen of the other. The hotel is situated on Mae Head beach a very short walk from the main peirs which means that you are usually woken by the horns of the boats as they bring more tourists to the island. The beach however is fantastic! The hotel is located a short walk from Mae Head which is a small town and has everything from pharmacy's to general stores. It is also possible to walk iinto Saarie. Room sizes are simply HUGE and all have a double bed which can be turned into two singles. The staff here have simply been faultless and our party is on first term names with many of the staff here. Now, breakfasts were the only reason I can not rate this hotel as excellent simply because it was not up too scratch. Food was cold and generally bland- I would recomend walking into Mae Head. Lunch and dinner however was of much better standard. Overall, I would recomend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank EdLonge
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed here for a week and had a brilliant time. The resort is located in a great central location that is nice a quiet, just a short stroll from Mee Hat. All staff were friendly and so abliging to help us with anything that we needed. The room was large with a massive bed, great bathroom and plenty of hot water (handy if out diving all day).

We had breakfast included and couldn't get enough of the omlette or the banana pancakes, a great way to start the day. They even packed us a breakfast when we had to be out diving before breakfast started.

We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Durbanville, South Africa
Reviewed 26 May 2012

A complimentary meet-and-greet service + transportation from the ferry pier to the hotel made a very good first impression. Welcome drinks on arrival and very friendly check-in staff. Our room was fantastic (deluxe room # 309) - with huge windows looking onto the beach! The bathroom was also very spacious and had a walk in shower + a huge bath. The balcony overlooks the swimming pool and they even thought of rails outside on the balcony to hang wet clothes / towels to dry.
The swimming pool is huge and the pool bar inside the pool a great gathering point. Breakfast was good, since the hotel was quiet during our stay, only half the restaurant was used (downstairs), but still great location for breakfast - right on the beachfront. Free Wifi was another bonus!
I do have to admit that due to the hotel running on skeleton staff during quiet periods, it did result in the pool area having used glasses, crockery, rubish, food etc. from the clients using during the day - laying around till late at night . It was cleaned first thing in the morning though.

2 minutes walk will get you to the main street with loads of restaurants and shops to choose from. The ferry is also only 4 minute's walk away. Close to neighboring Sairee Beach - +/-7min drive by scooter. Great location to base yourself + hire a scooter / quad-bike and explore the island and it's lovely beaches from here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple