My husband and I stayed in Koh Tao at this hotel for 4 nights with a view to my hubby learning to scuba dive. We were initially pleased with the short transfer to the hotel as it's right next to the pier and once in our particular room it was large with a lovely view over the pool. I am sorry to say this is where the positive aspects to this hotel end.
On closer inspection, the bed sheets had stains all over them, the pillows were poor quality and there were only 2 in the room. The sheets were changed during our stay to our 'clean' sheets with different stains all over them. There were lots of mosquitoes inside and no burners/plug-ins supplied to help with this. The shower couldn't be kept at a consistent temperature. Bathroom was dirty too. The toilet seat had a large crack in it so when using it, it pinched your bottom leaving particles of blood ingrained in the seat. Our blood is tested regularly as part of our work conditions, but how do you know the person before you has the same testing?! I really hope the toilet seat has been changed by now!! We mentioned it several times to members of staff and they didn't replace it while we were there. The breakfast was very poor. Cupboard door handles missing. I also found it quite difficult to get in and out of the pool but I do get quite light-headed and dizzy so this might not affect other people.
The final straw was on the 2nd evening of our stay we had just booked my husband's diving trip and decided to eat at the hotel restaurant. We do have to mention that we had eaten here for lunch the previous day and everything was fine but this time we suffered from severe food poisoning from the chicken with cashew nuts. It was terrible. We've travelled often through Asia, Middle East, Australia, Europe and never suffered from this before. As I am pregnant, it was an added worry. We were so sick for 3 days meaning we had to cancel my husband's scuba trip and any other plans we had. We didn't manage to see any of the island at all and were so relieved to be getting back to Koh Samui (where we stayed at the fantastic Akyra Hotel). We spoke to the manager who was kind enough to purchase some Hydration Salts for us but we really felt fobbed off by him as he took no responsibility at all. He said that people staying in the hotel have had it recently from eating at different places (outside of the hotel) but that it was usually a 24-hour bug. Ours definitely wasn't as it destroyed our 4 days in Koh Tao and also our remaining 4 days in Koh Samui. It's still affecting us now, over two weeks after the meal.
We asked the manager for some sort of refund for ruining our holiday but he didn't get back to us regarding this. After leaving the hotel we contacted them again to ask for a superior member of staff's contact details and received no response at all.
We also met another couple during our stay who had suffered a similar experience without the food poisoning during their stay and were checking out early as they'd had enough.
Please, if you haven't yet booked to stay in Koh Tao do not stay here - I've never had to leave a negative comment for a hotel before but this one was truly awful!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Koh Tao Montra resort is one of few bigger luxury hotel/resorts on Koh Tao. Offering great beach front location and the biggest swimming-pool with massage tub and swim up-bar. We have distanced our self from the smaller room sizes Koh Tao is known for with rooms from 40 - 100+ sq m. Being located in Mae Haad makes it a more quite and relaxed resort with easy access to shops, restaurants and other activities, and should you require more bars and night clubs during your stay it is only a 10-15 minute walk to the busy and famous Sairee Beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Koh Tao Montra Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Koh Tao Montra Hotel Koh Tao
- Koh Tao Montra Resort And Spa