“Terrible, wouldn't recommend to anyone”

Koh Tao Montra Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My husband and I stayed in Koh Tao at this hotel for 4 nights with a view to my hubby learning to scuba dive. We were initially pleased with the short transfer to the hotel as it's right next to the pier and once in our particular room it was large with a lovely view over the pool. I am sorry to say this is where the positive aspects to this hotel end.

On closer inspection, the bed sheets had stains all over them, the pillows were poor quality and there were only 2 in the room. The sheets were changed during our stay to our 'clean' sheets with different stains all over them. There were lots of mosquitoes inside and no burners/plug-ins supplied to help with this. The shower couldn't be kept at a consistent temperature. Bathroom was dirty too. The toilet seat had a large crack in it so when using it, it pinched your bottom leaving particles of blood ingrained in the seat. Our blood is tested regularly as part of our work conditions, but how do you know the person before you has the same testing?! I really hope the toilet seat has been changed by now!! We mentioned it several times to members of staff and they didn't replace it while we were there. The breakfast was very poor. Cupboard door handles missing. I also found it quite difficult to get in and out of the pool but I do get quite light-headed and dizzy so this might not affect other people.

The final straw was on the 2nd evening of our stay we had just booked my husband's diving trip and decided to eat at the hotel restaurant. We do have to mention that we had eaten here for lunch the previous day and everything was fine but this time we suffered from severe food poisoning from the chicken with cashew nuts. It was terrible. We've travelled often through Asia, Middle East, Australia, Europe and never suffered from this before. As I am pregnant, it was an added worry. We were so sick for 3 days meaning we had to cancel my husband's scuba trip and any other plans we had. We didn't manage to see any of the island at all and were so relieved to be getting back to Koh Samui (where we stayed at the fantastic Akyra Hotel). We spoke to the manager who was kind enough to purchase some Hydration Salts for us but we really felt fobbed off by him as he took no responsibility at all. He said that people staying in the hotel have had it recently from eating at different places (outside of the hotel) but that it was usually a 24-hour bug. Ours definitely wasn't as it destroyed our 4 days in Koh Tao and also our remaining 4 days in Koh Samui. It's still affecting us now, over two weeks after the meal.

We asked the manager for some sort of refund for ruining our holiday but he didn't get back to us regarding this. After leaving the hotel we contacted them again to ask for a superior member of staff's contact details and received no response at all.

We also met another couple during our stay who had suffered a similar experience without the food poisoning during their stay and were checking out early as they'd had enough.

Please, if you haven't yet booked to stay in Koh Tao do not stay here - I've never had to leave a negative comment for a hotel before but this one was truly awful!

Room Tip: The only tip I can give you is don't stay at this hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kirstimckenzie
There are newer reviews for Koh Tao Montra Resort & Spa

Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night...
Overall poor quality. Overprized! The room was big, yes. Very clean, yes. But noisy toilet and disfunctional zink. Bad smell right outside our room - all the time.
AND...bad location right next to the port. Stay at Sairee Beach instead!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Whilst this hotel has direct beach access, the area of beach it sits on is not nice. If you've got kids and want a nicer stretch of beach head to the furthest point north of the beach. The hotel s Los isolated by rocks so the stretch of beach doesn't join up with he ret of the own so you have to walk a t least 15 minutes(some of it up a very steep hill) to get to all the shops, bars and restaurants.

The rooms are adequate but cleanliness is not. Yes thy made the beds every day and swept the room but I would have expected the bathroom to be cleaned (which it wan't) and the floors to be mopped.

The hotel is overpriced but what annoyed me the most is that on checking out we were charged 100 Baht for a broken glass! I know it's not a huge amount of money but considering how much we were paying for 2 adults and 2 children it seems to me that the management / owner is more interested in lining their pockets at the expense of customer satisfaction.

The customer service also leaves a lot to be desired. It could be a lack of English, I'm not sure. We paid for laundry to be done and we specifically asked if it would also be ironed. We were told yes. None of the clothes came back ironed so were mostly unwearable. I would have taken them up the road to a cheaper laundry place had I known this.

Overall, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The hotel looks great and has many facilities like 2 big pools and a pool bar and access to the sea. Our room had a nice balcony but unfortunately smelled really moldy, especially mattress and cushions. Worst thing: The people next door had the TV on full volume for the whole night.
But the staff was so friendly!!!
Wouldn't go there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013

On positive reviews from the travel agent we decided to stay at the hotel. We were only there for 2 nights and it was terrible. The rooms were damp with lots of mosquitoes, there were hairs in the bathroom and when asked to have the room cleaned they did not. When house cleaning came the next day they did not change the sheets or clean the bathroom leaving the hairs. The only good thing about the hotel is that the pool is beautiful, and it was extremely close to the pier but if you are going for a beach holiday I would recommend staying somewhere else as the beach is full of boats . The breakfast I would definitely not recommend staying here due to the lack of cleanliness!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Hi
we stayed at the Montra hotel for 3 night on ko Tao island at july 2013
It was just great!!
very comfortable giant modern rooms, great pool, very attentive stuff
we took a taxy to the main street , it cost 200batt
and we walked on our way back for 20 minutes- it was very nice walk
The hotel has privet beach but because of the proximity to the port the water was dirty
that was our only disappointment from that magical place
the receptionist time of work ends at 9 pm so i recommend to consider that with your arrangements
we loved kho tao , its a great place to relax, dive and to have a real pleasure quiet vacation
Elinor

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elinor I
Reviewed 8 August 2013

This is potentially a really nice hotel. The rooms are huge and very clean and comfortable. The pool area is beautiful and well maintained. However I found that the hotel had a complete lack of atmosphere! The customer service was inconsistent. Some of the team tried their best to help, whilst some were rather unfriendly and lazy. The biggest let down was the restaurant. The breakfast was quite unispiring as were the meals. We discovered Pranees kitchen down the road, towards the pier, which served awesome food at a fraction of the price. On the whole I would say the hotel was ok, but very over priced for the experience.

Room Tip: Insist on a room away from the construction work!
Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple