“Needs Some Attention”

Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
San Francisco, California
“Needs Some Attention”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for four nights. The overall property is in need of detailed upgrades, it's not very impressive when you arrive and as you start to look around, many things appear outdated or just not kept nice. We were very disappointed with the beach area, no lounge chairs and too close to the pier. Nobody was swimming so neither did we. The overall room was fine, BUT the beds and pillows were horribly hard and uncomfortable. The shower/bath was upgraded but didn't match the rest of the room. Very strange. As other reviews have noted, getting the hot/cold correct in the shower was nearly impossible. The front staff was marginally friendly. Overall 3, very average.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Destin, Florida
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Having traveled to Koh Samui for 21 years and never to Koh Tao my kids motivated me to leave my comfortable bungalow in Samui for a three day change of pace in Koh Tao. Our holiday in Samui is two months every other year. I would have mostly a positive review on Montra as the location cant be beat the hotel is really nice the is a sweet layout. The price I paid on AGODA was a 30% discount which made the two rooms for 5 people fairly reasonable!. We had one really nice top floor sea/pool view room and one less priced room next to the pool. Rooms are pretty high end for the price and I would go back. The only really negative take I have is the whole staff in non-Thai (Burma) best I can tell so don't try to speak Thai to them. In Thailand I prefer Thai staffing as they tend to be very gracious and gentle people, probably the reason I go to Thailand every two years for 21 years. The restaurant food could improve but it was acceptable but not the best! I would recommend this hotel in Koh Tao based on location, comfort, cleanliness and quality vs. price. One real nice thing about Montra is pretty much removes the need for taxi, motorbike or directions everything you need for a short holiday is at you fingertips. I would suggest the restaurant stock Prik Nam Pla as this is required for me on any Thai food dish but the staff did not seem to think it is a requirement, even when specifically requested maybe I should learn Burmese:-)) I would go back but eat elsewhere!

Room Tip: sea/pool view on top floor are really nice!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank bryjenwms
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I took a Thai cooking class at this resort. It was small with just the chef and the two of us - we were provided with take home recipe books, chefs hats, certificates and aprons. The ingredients were prepared prior to us arriving which was the only down side of things we would have loved how to make the pastes however did get recipes. We prepared and ate 5 meals each. Overall a great experience, affordable and highly recommended!

3 Thank Jacqueline J
East Sussex
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located right on the beach front. It isn't in a completely peaceful location - the ferry port is only about 100m down the beach. If you are there for snorkelling, you will need to get a taxi to another beach. Ask at reception and they can recommend some great beaches. The service at the hotel was okay. The restaurant service was slow and they were regularly out of the food we ordered. The reception staff were also otter useless, ordering a taxi to the wrong location and charging us for a trip that we cancelled (failed to say at time of cancellation we had to pay). Overall, koh tao is a beautiful island and the views are amazing.

Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Great swimming pool in front of the hotel, great room, huge bed... But when i think back to that hotel I must underline that I ate there at breakfast the best crunchy bacon ever. The first evening we were laying down on a chaise lounge in front of the see, when we've heard a strange unknown noise. We thought it was a bird. Before to leave the hotel, after 7 nights there, we asked a crew member (by imitating the noise) so we found out that was a gecko noise. An absolutely new thing for us :)
We spent there some hours in the bar in the swimming pool, but when you have so much to do around is a pity to stay in the hotel. So we snorkelled, we ate the delicious Thais pancakes with chocolate and cocos, we walked around, we had enough massages and we enjoyed every moment in Koh Tao. And Montra Resort was a great choice to make the Holliday perfect.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here one night and at the Palm Leaf resort for three nights. The Montra was a little less than 2x the price of the Palm Leaf but the Montra was way way nicer. I wouldn't call it a 4 star resort but it was worth the $90 per night. Seems like a lot of reviewers expect a high end luxury resort - but it's not that. You basically get you'd get for $90/night in the US - Holiday Inn or Best Western quality.

Some mentioned that it was far away from the main drag - it's about 15 minutes walking to the center of Sairee beach where lots of kids stay and where the bar scene is centered. But, there are lots of restaurants within a 5 to 10 minute walk from the Montra.

I'd consider staying here again if I ever returned to Koh Tao.

Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Great short stay at the end of our trip around Thailand.
Very close to the pier and with a free shuttle service!
We booked a snorkeling day tour with them, our guide was Sandy and we loved it.
They offered my boyfriend a very nice attention on arrival for his birthday.
The room was very large with view over the pool.
Very nice balcony and everything very clean.
All the people we met at front desk and restaurant were very nice.
Excellent spot to snorkeling tours.
A little bit far from night life and beautiful beaches but the price and quality are perfect!
Thank you to all the team!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple