“Amazing stay!”

Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
Trondheim, Norway
“Amazing stay!”
Reviewed 14 August 2010

Unfortunately we pre-booked a "hotel" called Utopia Suites located nearby the pier where the boat arrives. Our view was straight into dumpsters and a lousy backyard, so we decided to book another place right away!

Luckily for us we found this place, and got the warmest welcome you could possibly imagine. The staff was very helpful and kind during our whole entire stay, making this an experience to remember.
The view from the resort is absolutely stunning, almost like a postcard :-)
Altough it cost more than the poor place we pre-booked, it was worth every baht we payed.

It takes approximatly 10 minutes from the pier with a taxi, which will drive you up the short hill from the main road.
A good tip is to rent a scooter from the resort instead of taking a taxi all the time.
A scooter will cost you around 200 baht each day, which is the same fare that the taxidrivers require no matter how far you're going.

The cottages are simply stunning with a great view over the thai gulf!

2 Thank ErlingandKristin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I was very impressed with the hotel when I got there. The hotel has very cozy and friendly atmosphere, new and clean. The hotel is located on a hill, therefore, the view is very beautiful. The room we stayed was awesome with seaview and big balcony, very nice design and full of oriental touch. Breakfast was good. The beach near the hotel is quiet and nice, perfect for quiet and relaxing time. Since the hotel is located on a hill, you have to walk a bit to get to the beach. However, it won't be a problem at all if you rent a motorbike, the bike rental is also provided by the hotel at a reasonable price.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Followed the tripadvisor's advice and decided to stay in Chintakiri Resort! Impressive! Great service, nice and comfortable rooms, amazing views and friendly and helping stuff! It feels that u r at home!
The hill everyone was talking about was higher than i could imagine, but there is a perfect solution: rent a motorbike, ot costs nothing and it's really convenient! we visited all the best beacheson koh Tao. We also tried the 4 weels drive, i personally hated it, i didn'd seem to be so much better than a motorbike.
Location is very good, there r a lot of restaurants and some shops nearby.
Liked the restaurant in the hotel too! Spring rolls r just unforgettable!
Thank you Chintakiri! We'll definitely come back again!

South Wales
Reviewed 12 July 2010

We stayed at this resort in early June. Hill to hotel is unbelievable, we are not unfit however it is a killer, so we hired a moped, unfortunately, the moped was not powerful enough for the hill, when we reached the hotel, the moped started to slip backwards, I fell off the back and was badly injured, cutting my head open, scrapping all skin off back, bruising and whiplash. The hill would stop me staying at this hotel again.
Even a 4x4 truck had its wheels spinning trying to get up hill and you needed to pay an additional 100THB to get taxi drivers to go up the hill, something we always did which resulted in taxi fare of 400THB after dark, and 300THB during the day.
Mossies were unbelievable on the island, I had 25 on my legs and I always used 50% deet.
Highly recommend Tukka Thai for restaurant
What I was shocked at is that all my THB was used up, being 26,000THB in 6 days, money kept in safe, I did not buy anything, just meals costing usually less than 700THB and very little in way of drink, how did my money disappear day by day? I wonder!!!!, Only on last day did I think how is all my money gone?
Recommend private long boat hire to tour around island

1 Thank sharpeishaz
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Okay 1st up the hill... YES it is a killer. But after a couple of days you do get kinda used to it (kinda) and once you are up there the view from our room,pool, restaurant and bar were quite breathtaking to say the least. The staff are what make this place so special, they are friendly courteous and always smiling. Breakfast each day was from a menu and you selected what you wanted and it was cooked to order which was a great change from the usual buffet. the pool is a great place to have a dip and cocktail and just admire the view. The room were spacious with a great balcony. At reception was free internet access. The resort is a little on the expensive side but you always pay a premium for these kind of views. The location is great, far enough away from the noise and nightlife of Mae Head and Sairee but close enough to walk and quite cheap in a taxi.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 June 2010

Just back from a 6 night stay in Ko Tao with my boyfriend. The hotel is lovely, it is quite small and all the staff are super friendly. They really made the stay even more enjoyable.
The hill is quite a hike, but my calf muscles are great now!!
We ate in the hotel on out first night, the food wasdelicous. Alot better then some of the other hotels we stayed at during our trip.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a chilled-out, pretty, relaxed hotel.

1 Thank VickiMcGrath
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I've just returned from a 20 day trip around Thailand for my birthday this past May. I stayed on Koh Tao for 2 days.....and chose this hotel based on reviews here and elsewhere..... Between Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan - this island and property was one of my favourites. Yes the hill going up to the property is extremely steep - but being an island girl - I'm pretty used to it....but truly...it is steep and its a workout.... My friend and I did not rent a moped... so after the first day of being driven up....we took our time and walked up/down..... The resort is very high up in the hills....and it is simply stunning. Our bungalow was one of the highest ones up...and our view of the sea below was stunning.... The room was immaculate.... with a bathroom upstairs in its own secret cove..... no telephones in the room...so if you have questions....make sure you ask before heading up..... The staff at this hotel are true Thais - extremely friendly and warm....Helped us organise a snorkel tour and answered any questions we had. Breakfast was lovely.... served very quickly....and delicious... not a buffet....which is nice.....chose your items...and they are made to order.

On the day of my bday (May 25th)..it was pouring rain....and my friend and I had went up for the evening.... The staff came up to our bungalow later that evening....with a freshly baked cake...complete with candles...to sing me happy birthday....it was the sweetest thing that has ever happened to me while on holiday....and I'll never forget the girls for that..... We made great friends with the staff at the restaurant down at the bottom of the hill....ate there every night for dinner....the owners of that restaurant also has a cool Rasta Bar with great drinks/snack food....bungalows...and a tattoo shop......amazing people....and yes....I got an authentic Thai Bamboo Tattoo from their place.... just perfect....and an awesome experience....

All in all.... staying at the Chintakiri was an amazing experience...... and despite the tough walk up the hill....I would choose them again for their kindness... warmth...and the views!!! The beach did have a very low tide..and didn't provide much swimming unless you went out far...but that wouldn’t' stop me from staying here again..... It's very easy to visit other sides of the island...I just didn't have the time on this trip...but next time...will definitely head out to other parts..... I recommend them highly...if you're fit....this is not the place to stay if you're out of shape or lazy.....hahaha.....

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends