“Room with a view”

Ranked #35 of 49 Hotels in Koh Tao
“Room with a view”
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

Koh Tao Resort - Paradise Zone
My second visit to this hotel, was very impressed by the first visit but slightly let down on the second.

The hotel is split in to two parts, the beach side/diving resort and the Paradise Zone which is situated high up in the hills giving you amazing views.

We opted for the Paradise Sea View rooms which were lovely and spacious and had a bath tub on the balcony overlooking the bay.

The hotel now seems to have staff originating from Burma and has lost the personal touch we received on our last visit, my wife being a thai national did not receive the best of customer service whilst making the reservations from the UK, the telephone manners... Not the best!

The hotel is showing signs of wear and tear and could do with a bit of TLC, some rotten wood on the balconies and in need of a coat of paint.

The hotel offers a transfer service from the pier and a shuttle up and down the hill, if you want to venture in to town the cost is 50bht per person each way, if your staying here you would do better to hire a scooter in order to get around.

If your thinking of staying a room with sea views is a must as they are what makes the hotel special.

The Paradise Zone offers an infinity pool with spectacular views, the beachside also has a good size pool.

The food is reasonably priced and fairly tasty but breakfast is not included in their packages.

Koh Tao is a great place to stay with amazing snorkelling trips on your door step, quiet at night with a chilled out vibe.

All in all a beautiful hotel, an enjoyable stay but probably will not return.

Stayed April 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

I have lived in Koh Tao for one year, often staying in terrible but cheap accommodation whilst passing my dive qualifications. On my return I thought I'd book into a nice hotel as I had some cash and this was a two week holiday after all. The room is ok, just ok if you don't mind the odd cockroach however two different couples who we're staying had asked to change room three times and had been treated very in appropriately by the staff for expecting the bare minimum for the money they had paid. My main problem also is the staff. Almost everyone of them treats you with complete disdain. I will never stay here again and as I know many people who visit ko Tao, I will tell therm the same. There are serious management problems here. Don't have your holiday spoiled.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Divingcheftraveller

Travellers are raving about these Koh Tao hotels

Australia
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have had a bad back for the last 5 days after sleeping on this concrete bed and pillows that feel like bricks. When I went and asked if there were any softer pillows or rooms with a different mattress I was told 'same same'

The view and pool up here is amazing and well worth the trip up the massive hill but that is as far as it goes I'm afraid. There is supposed to be a free shuttle up and down the hill except it only runs until 830am then you have to pay or walk it and the driver is asleep every time we walk past him anyway. My husband and I are rather fit and after the 10th time walking and running up the hill we have had enough.

The room is very outdated we paid for the jacuzzi room we filled it up the water was brown and cold so we didn't use it once. We also had the worst breakfast ever at this hotel. If you wander down to the bottom Ko Tao resort there is an awesome restaurant there that we ate at everyday. Very yummy and clean.

The internet drops out every 2 seconds it's the worst wifi I've ever used.

I would not recommend staying here unless you want to leave with a bad back!! The bottom resort is much better and right on the beach. We stayed there 4 years ago and not much has changed it could do with a refurb but a much better location.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JessandDavid
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. The view was amazing and it was so peaceful. Yes the rooms are a bit dated but it is such a nice place you don't really notice.It is up a very steep hill (hence the view) but a shuttle service is available whenever you need it either up or down. The pool is lovely and you can also use the pool in the sister hotel by the beach. The hotel is also very good value for money. We will be back

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 22 January 2014

First, we were picked up from the dock and we hadn´t even booked it! By chance we saw one of our names on the board when we arrived. Second, the hotel is situated on top on a hill with a very very nice view! They have an infinity pool that is a bit small, but clean and the view makes it up for it. I have read about some of the previous about the interior being dated, and I can confirm this. Even though dated, the rooms are clean and the AC works perfectly fine. Everything in Thailand is built, but not maintained over time, we saw this everywhere. Staff were nice, but still expect a language barrier if you talk to someone outside the reception. Food is a little bit overpriced, but good, especially the chicken soup with coconut!

I forgot my glasses when we left for Koh Samui, and they were so friendly to ship them the next day for free to Buddah Pier after I sent them an e-mail explaining my situation!

Tips:
- Don´t try to go to the beach right down from the infinity pool, because it is not a proper beach.
- Try the beach at the opposite side situated right down from the restaurant, rent a scooter or rent a taxi to Haadtien Beach Resort, there you will find the beach The beach is not crowded, clean and there is a restaurant and a bar in the proximity of the beach!

Great value for the money in my opinion! We had a really nice stay and regretted the decision of only staying there for 3 nights.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with a view of the pool and the scenery, amazing!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We went there for a New Year 2013/2014 and the whole stay there was one big disappointment.

My family and my friends got similar most expensive rooms in a Paradise Zone (almost $500 for 2 nights from 31.12 to 02.01), those with jacuzzi on the open terrace.

Both rooms were very old, a lot of dust everywhere. Both jacuzzi were very dirty, seems nobody cleaned them for ages as well as bathroom appliances. Another story is a hot water. It runs only if the aircon is working. In december 2013 it was very cold on the island (about 20C degrees in the evening) and we had to run aircons in the rooms in order to get any hot water. Anyway, you always had to choose who is going to have hot shower as another person had to wait for 30 mins to have hot water again. Room service is terrible, nobody took garbage from the room during 2 days. Pillows in beds were "soft" as a piece of concrete. When you are planning to live in the most Luxury Room in any hotel you always expect that it should be something special. But this is not a case. The night before we've been staying in a cheap bungalow in Chumphon and it was more comfortable over there than those Deluxe Rooms.

Another thing is restaurant. I have not been eating such a crap food for a long time in my life. I live in Thailand and I like both Thai and Western food but this restaurant is useless in both. And especially breakfasts, when you get cheapest yogurt from 7/11 with 2 pieces of bread, few pieces of fruits and some yellow color water that they call juice and it costs 150 Baht..There are only 2 sets of breakfast available in the morning and you can not order something else. Good for us next day after arrival we found a good restaurant with a walking distance from this hotel.

There was no beach at New Year time as a sea level was always high and you can step on the beach only after sunset.

New Year celebration party that we have been forced to pay for was one of the most boring ceremony that I have ever seen in Thailand. The same crap food, slow service, stupid performance on the stage. We had to pay 2000 Baht per person for it. Real cost of the food was maximum 200-250 Baht + you get 1 glass of cheap wine.

I can continue describing this hotel and tell you about non working pool table, lost cloth in a laundry, about 40 mins check-in and so on but just believe me - avoid this place, don't waste your time on it. The only thing you can like there is a view on the sea from the Paradise Zone. That's it.

I read a lot of good reviews about this pace on Tripadvisor and Agoda and that's why I made a decision to book a room there on a New Year Eve but it was a big mistake.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank SoloDen1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

So glad we stayed here for the view alone... The Honeymoon Paradise room faces south and you can see both sunrise and sunset from the balcony. Rooms are clean but dated... Otherwise the luxury stops here.

The staff are nice generally, but not that great. There seems to be a family on site, which is a bit off putting sometimes when you are expecting a luxury resort. One day they were changing the babies nappy on a restaurant table! The food seemed average and overpriced... The American breakfast was one of the worst we`ve had.

We had a jacuzzi bath in our room (with amazing views) but there wasn`t even enough hot water to fill the whole thing. When we asked for assistance with this, they told us to turn on the AC for 15 minutes and it would be ok (!?!). We waited anyway... but there was no change and no hot water. We also were kept awake one night by what turned out by what turned out to be a mouse in our room. It defacated all over our room and bathroom including on our clothes. When we told the hotel they just cleaned up the remains without any remorse and snuck a mousetrap into the room later...

Glad we stayed here for the views, pool and location... It doesn`t get much better. But don`t expect any more. I think one of the reviewers said it well, it was surely once an amazing place but there is no money spent on keeping it that way or its upkeep.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple